R does not start from (Debian) linux command line - error with doWithOneRestart() - segmentation fault

R does not start from (Debian) linux command line - error with doWithOneRestart() - segmentation fault

Ashim Kapoor
Dear R experts,

Here is my problem :

R startup FAILS with an error message. The error message is more
meaningful when I do invoke R via sudo OR as root. I attach the
startup messages when I invoke R as :

1. as non root user
2. with sudo
3. as Root user.

The error messages ( mentioned in snippets below ) are more meaningful
to me in the above mentioned order.

When I google around for the error message, it looks like there is an
.xlsx file which has non english characters which is messing with
Java.

I do not know how to fix this. I tried :-

R --vanilla

so that it would not use any startup scripts but that also does not work.

----------------- snip

When I try to start R from the command line :

~$ R

 *** caught segfault ***
address (nil), cause 'unknown'

Traceback:
 1: NextMethod(.Generic)
 2: Ops.numeric_version(R_version_built_under, "3.0.0")
 3: testRversion(pkgInfo, package, pkgpath)
 4: library(package, lib.loc = lib.loc, character.only = TRUE,
logical.return = TRUE,     warn.conflicts = warn.conflicts, quietly =
quietly, mask.ok = mask.ok,     exclude = exclude, include.only =
include.only, attach.required = attach.required)
 5: doTryCatch(return(expr), name, parentenv, handler)
 6: tryCatchOne(expr, names, parentenv, handlers[[1L]])
 7: tryCatchList(expr, classes, parentenv, handlers)
 8: tryCatch(library(package, lib.loc = lib.loc, character.only =
TRUE,     logical.return = TRUE, warn.conflicts = warn.conflicts,
quietly = quietly,     mask.ok = mask.ok, exclude = exclude,
include.only = include.only,     attach.required = attach.required),
error = function(e) e)
 9: require(pkg, quietly = TRUE, warn.conflicts = FALSE, character.only = TRUE)
10: .OptRequireMethods()

Possible actions:
1: abort (with core dump, if enabled)
2: normal R exit
3: exit R without saving workspace
4: exit R saving workspace
Selection: Segmentation fault

----------------- snip
When I try to start R with sudo it gives a more clear message :-

~$ sudo R

[...]

Selection: Error in doWithOneRestart(return(` \\x82\\x0ccPV`), restart) :
  not a proper file name

R version 3.6.3 (2020-02-29) -- "Holding the Windsock"
Copyright (C) 2020 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

Error: not a proper file name
Error in doWithOneRestart(return(` \\x82\\x0ccPV`), restart) :
  promise already under evaluation: recursive default argument
reference or earlier problems?
Segmentation fault

----------------- snip

Invoking R as a root user :-

$ sudo -i
root@crayshrimp ~ # R

[...]

Selection: Error in doWithOneRestart(return(), restart) : not a proper file name

R version 3.6.3 (2020-02-29) -- "Holding the Windsock"
Copyright (C) 2020 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

Error: not a proper file name
Error in doWithOneRestart(return(), restart) :
  promise already under evaluation: recursive default argument
reference or earlier problems?
Error in tryCatchOne(, names, parentenv, handlers[[1L]]) :
  promise already under evaluation: recursive default argument
reference or earlier problems?
Error: not a proper file name
Fatal error: unable to initialize the JIT

Re: R does not start from (Debian) linux command line - error with doWithOneRestart() - segmentation fault

Martin Maechler

    > Dear R experts,

    > Here is my problem :

    > R startup FAILS with an error message. The error message
    > is more meaningful when I do invoke R via sudo OR as
    > root. I attach the startup messages when I invoke R as :

    > 1. as non root user 2. with sudo 3. as Root user.

    > The error messages ( mentioned in snippets below ) are
    > more meaningful to me in the above mentioned order.

Thank you, Ashim.

Yes, the messages point to something really bad.

OTOH ("On the other hand"), what we *can* see is that you try to
start R version 3.6.3.

While that is not extremely old, it may well be older than
several other pieces of software (or even hardware) that you are
running with.

I very very  *strongly* recommend to use an R version 4.0.x ... and why not
use the latest  4.0.5 ?

Then, it may also be caused by a mismatch of system libraries
and your oldish version of R. ... but there I'd strongly
recommend consulting with other Debian users, notably as there
is a dedicated  mailing list  R-SIG-Debian --> do subscribe
there, and ask -- with more details on how you got your R: Is it
the default R on your Debian, which version of Debian,  etc.

Last but not least, Dirk Eddelbuettel, the maintainer of the
official R Debian package maintains a nice web page -- part of
the official CRAN web pages, but unfortunately a bit hidden
nowadays, (not the least because CRAN still uses frames (würg!!)):

  https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian/

A very nice and useful page,  much underrated and underused,
probably.

Best regards,

Martin Maechler
ETH Zurich  and  R Core Team

> [...]

    > locale

    > R is a collaborative project with many contributors.  Type
    > 'contributors()' for more information and 'citation()' on
    > how to cite R or R packages in publications.

    > Type 'demo()' for some demos, 'help()' for on-line help,
    > or 'help.start()' for an HTML browser interface to help.
    > Type 'q()' to quit R.

    > Error: not a proper file name Error in
    > doWithOneRestart(return(), restart) : promise already
    > under evaluation: recursive default argument reference or
    > earlier problems?  Error in tryCatchOne(, names,
    > parentenv, handlers[[1L]]) : promise already under
    > evaluation: recursive default argument reference or
    > earlier problems?  Error: not a proper file name Fatal
    > error: unable to initialize the JIT

Re: R does not start from (Debian) linux command line - error with doWithOneRestart() - segmentation fault

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 12:51 PM Martin Maechler
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>     > Dear R experts,
>
>     > Here is my problem :
>
>     > R startup FAILS with an error message. The error message
>     > is more meaningful when I do invoke R via sudo OR as
>     > root. I attach the startup messages when I invoke R as :
>
>     > 1. as non root user 2. with sudo 3. as Root user.
>
>     > The error messages ( mentioned in snippets below ) are
>     > more meaningful to me in the above mentioned order.
>
> Thank you, Ashim.
>
> Yes, the messages point to something really bad.
>
> OTOH ("On the other hand"), what we *can* see is that you try to
> start R version 3.6.3.

My apologies for not being clear.

I would like to clarify :

1. The error message from the incantation `R` is not very informative.

2. The error message from the incantation `sudo R` says (among other
things which don't seem significant to me):
Error in doWithOneRestart(return(` \\x82\\x0ccPV`), restart) :
  not a proper file name

3. The error message from invoking R as a root user says:

Error: not a proper file name
Fatal error: unable to initialize the JIT

I found this on the internet :
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19512165/error-in-dowithonerestart

The error messages and the above link point to issues with JAVA, but
it does not say how to fix them.

That is why I thought : there is an .xlsx file which has non english
characters which is messing with
Java.

Query : is there a way to do JAVA garbage collection when R is not starting ?

> While that is not extremely old, it may well be older than
> several other pieces of software (or even hardware) that you are
> running with.
>
> I very very  *strongly* recommend to use an R version 4.0.x ... and why not
> use the latest  4.0.5 ?

We upgraded to 4.0.5 but it did not make a difference. We restarted
the computer and that fixed the error.
I think the JAVA garbage collection kicked in when we reset the
computer and that is why it was fixed on rebooting. Not sure though.

> Then, it may also be caused by a mismatch of system libraries
> and your oldish version of R. ... but there I'd strongly
> recommend consulting with other Debian users, notably as there
> is a dedicated  mailing list  R-SIG-Debian --> do subscribe
> there, and ask -- with more details on how you got your R: Is it
> the default R on your Debian, which version of Debian,  etc.
>
> Last but not least, Dirk Eddelbuettel, the maintainer of the
> official R Debian package maintains a nice web page -- part of
> the official CRAN web pages, but unfortunately a bit hidden
> nowadays, (not the least because CRAN still uses frames (würg!!)):
>
>   https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian/
>
> A very nice and useful page,  much underrated and underused,
> probably.

Thank you for this.

> [...]
>     > earlier problems?  Error in tryCatchOne(, names,
>     > parentenv, handlers[[1L]]) : promise already under
>     > evaluation: recursive default argument reference or
>     > earlier problems?  Error: not a proper file name Fatal
>     > error: unable to initialize the JIT
>
>     > ----------------- snip
>     > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>     > Thank you, Ashim
>
>     > ______________________________________________
>     > [hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and
>     > more, see https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
>     > PLEASE do read the posting guide
>     > http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html and provide
>     > commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.

Re: R does not start from (Debian) linux command line - error with doWithOneRestart() - segmentation fault

Henrik Bengtsson-5
Ashim, as Martin says, there's something really weird going on with
your core R installation.  This is definitely not expected, and I
don't know think if I've every seen this reported before.  Here are
some questions/comments that might help you move forward and for
others to pitch in:

1. How did you install R?

2. What happens if you call:

$ Rscript --vanilla -e "1+2"

3. What happens if you call:

$ Rscript --vanilla --default-packages=base -e "1+2"

4. What happens if you call:

$ Rscript --vanilla --default-packages=base,methods -e "1+2"

If any of 2-4 gives a different result, that's a first clue.

/Henrik

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 1:17 AM Ashim Kapoor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >     > earlier problems?  Error in tryCatchOne(, names,
> >     > parentenv, handlers[[1L]]) : promise already under
> >     > evaluation: recursive default argument reference or
> >     > earlier problems?  Error: not a proper file name Fatal
> >     > error: unable to initialize the JIT
> >
> >     > ----------------- snip
> >     > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> >     > Thank you, Ashim
> >
> >     > ______________________________________________
> >     > [hidden email] mailing list -- To UNSUBSCRIBE and
> >     > more, see https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
> >     > PLEASE do read the posting guide
> >     > http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html and provide
> >     > commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.

Re: R does not start from (Debian) linux command line - error with doWithOneRestart() - segmentation fault

Dear Henrik,

We upgraded R and rebooted the computer and the error went away. Hence
I do not think we will get any strange results anymore.

Still, I could be mistaken and I am still curious as to what happened
to my R installation. Please find the answers inline below.

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 9:59 PM Henrik Bengtsson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ashim, as Martin says, there's something really weird going on with
> your core R installation.  This is definitely not expected, and I
> don't know think if I've every seen this reported before.  Here are
> some questions/comments that might help you move forward and for
> others to pitch in:
>
> 1. How did you install R?

IIRC I installed R by doing:

apt-get install r-base r-base-dev

( following the instructions on this page :
https://cloud.r-project.org/ ) I went to this page and clicked on
"Download R for Linux" and then clicked on  "debian". I think, since
the page uses frames, the url does not change when I do those 2 steps.

> 2. What happens if you call:
>
> $ Rscript --vanilla -e "1+2"

$ Rscript --vanilla -e "1+2"
[1] 3

> 3. What happens if you call:
>
> $ Rscript --vanilla --default-packages=base -e "1+2"

$ Rscript --vanilla --default-packages=base -e "1+2"
[1] 3

> 4. What happens if you call:
>
> $ Rscript --vanilla --default-packages=base,methods -e "1+2"

$ Rscript --vanilla --default-packages=base,methods -e "1+2"
[1] 3

> If any of 2-4 gives a different result, that's a first clue.
>
> /Henrik

Many thanks for your help,
Best Regards,
Ashim