R editor for Mac

Bogaso
Hi,

Could you please suggest a good R editor for Mac OS X (10.7.5)
Previously my operating system was Windows and there I used Notepad++,
I really had very nice experience with it. However I dont see any Mac
version is available for Mac.

Appreciate your positive feedback.

Thanks and regards,

Re: R editor for Mac

Rich Shepard
On Wed, 20 Jan 2016, Christofer Bogaso wrote:

> Could you please suggest a good R editor for Mac OS X (10.7.5) Previously
> my operating system was Windows and there I used Notepad++, I really had
> very nice experience with it. However I dont see any Mac version is
> available for Mac.

   Emacs might already be available on your system. Yes, it's complex but
worth learning. (It's been called the only editor with a built-in operating
system.) It also supports ESS which is a R mode that is very helpful.

Rich

Re: R editor for Mac

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 20/01/2016 1:22 PM, Christofer Bogaso wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could you please suggest a good R editor for Mac OS X (10.7.5)
> Previously my operating system was Windows and there I used Notepad++,
> I really had very nice experience with it. However I dont see any Mac
> version is available for Mac.
>
> Appreciate your positive feedback.

RStudio is probably best on both OS X and Windows.    A nice advantage
is that it looks the same on both, so you can move back and forth.

I only know two negatives:

  - I still don't like the tiled window.  I often work on a small
screen, and it's not enough space.

  - The editor still changes file endings to native format whenever it
saves.  It would be better if it handled both Windows and Unix line
endings in both systems, and left them alone unless the user asked them
to be changed.

The positives are too numerous to list here.

Re: R editor for Mac

Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal
Hi:

Both the default Mac OS X installation of R  (with the GUI) as well as RStudio, have very nice editors for coding in R.

-Roy

> On Jan 20, 2016, at 10:22 AM, Christofer Bogaso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Could you please suggest a good R editor for Mac OS X (10.7.5)
> Previously my operating system was Windows and there I used Notepad++,
> I really had very nice experience with it. However I dont see any Mac
> version is available for Mac.
>
> Appreciate your positive feedback.
>
> Thanks and regards,

**********************
**********************
Roy Mendelssohn
Supervisory Operations Research Analyst
NOAA/NMFS
Environmental Research Division
Southwest Fisheries Science Center
***Note new address and phone***
110 Shaffer Road
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Phone: (831)-420-3666
Fax: (831) 420-3980
e-mail: [hidden email] www: http://www.pfeg.noaa.gov/

Re: R editor for Mac

Sunny Singha
Christopher,
Download TextWrangler from App store. I’m using it and its very convenient.

Regards,
Sunny

> On 20-Jan-2016, at 11:52 PM, Christofer Bogaso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Could you please suggest a good R editor for Mac OS X (10.7.5)
> Previously my operating system was Windows and there I used Notepad++,
> I really had very nice experience with it. However I dont see any Mac
> version is available for Mac.
>
> Appreciate your positive feedback.
>
> Thanks and regards,

Re: R editor for Mac

bretschr
Dear Christofer Bogaso,

Re:

> Could you please suggest a good R editor for Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Indeed, as Roy Mendelssohn wrote, the editor built into "R.app", the GUI program which is part of the standard R for OS X, has a beautiful editor, complete with syntax colouring and bracket balancing. And one can run only one or a few lines from a script at wish.
I couldn't wish myself more.

Success and best wishes,

Frank
--

Franklin Bretschneider
Dept of Biology

Re: R editor for Mac

hrbrmstr
If you don't want to run RStudio, Sublime Text has both great R code
syntax highlighting/formatting and a REPL mode for an interactive
console in-editor.

Atom also has decent R support.

They both play well with "Dash" which is an alternative way (separate
app) to lookup R docs on OS X.

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 2:22 PM, Franklin Bretschneider
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Christofer Bogaso,
>

> Re:
>

>> Could you please suggest a good R editor for Mac OS X (10.7.5)
>

> Indeed, as Roy Mendelssohn wrote, the editor built into "R.app", the GUI program which is part of the standard R for OS X, has a beautiful editor, complete with syntax colouring and bracket balancing. And one can run only one or a few lines from a script at wish.
> I couldn't wish myself more.
>
> Success and best wishes,
>
> Frank
> --
>

> Franklin Bretschneider
> Dept of Biology
> Utrecht University

Re: R editor for Mac

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 20/01/2016 2:22 PM, Franklin Bretschneider wrote:

> Dear Christofer Bogaso,
>

> Re:
>

> > Could you please suggest a good R editor for Mac OS X (10.7.5)
>

> Indeed, as Roy Mendelssohn wrote, the editor built into "R.app", the GUI program which is part of the standard R for OS X, has a beautiful editor, complete with syntax colouring and bracket balancing. And one can run only one or a few lines from a script at wish.
> I couldn't wish myself more.

R.app looks nicer than RStudio (no tiling), but it is missing a lot of
functionality.

  - the debugger
  - the integration with other tools provided by RStudio, like Shiny,
RMarkdown, htmlwidgets, package building tools, etc.
  - the integration with source code management.
  - session management (i.e. it's easier to shut down and restart R,
which you frequently need to do when developing and testing packages)
  - syntax checking hints in the editor (not just for R, for some other
languages too).

I think Emacs + ESS matches (exceeds if you count non-R stuff) RStudio
in functionality, but it is much harder to learn.

Re: R editor for Mac

Berend Hasselman

> On 20 Jan 2016, at 20:22, Franklin Bretschneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear Christofer Bogaso,
>

> Re:
>

>> Could you please suggest a good R editor for Mac OS X (10.7.5)
>

> Indeed, as Roy Mendelssohn wrote, the editor built into "R.app", the GUI program which is part of the standard R for OS X, has a beautiful editor, complete with syntax colouring and bracket balancing. And one can run only one or a few lines from a script at wish.
> I couldn't wish myself more.

Another nice editor for R is Textmate.

Berend

Re: R editor for Mac

Richard M. Heiberger
Emacs with ESS is very simple to operate when you use the menu.
See Paul Johnson's document

[Emacs has no learning curve: Emacs and ESS]
http://pj.freefaculty.org/guides/Rcourse/emacs-ess/emacs-ess.pdf

Rich

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 2:59 PM, Duncan Murdoch
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20/01/2016 2:22 PM, Franklin Bretschneider wrote:
>>
>> Dear Christofer Bogaso,
>>

>> Re:
>>

>> > Could you please suggest a good R editor for Mac OS X (10.7.5)
>>

>> Indeed, as Roy Mendelssohn wrote, the editor built into "R.app", the GUI
>> program which is part of the standard R for OS X, has a beautiful editor,
>> complete with syntax colouring and bracket balancing. And one can run only
>> one or a few lines from a script at wish.
>> I couldn't wish myself more.
>

> R.app looks nicer than RStudio (no tiling), but it is missing a lot of
> functionality.
>
>  - the debugger
>  - the integration with other tools provided by RStudio, like Shiny,
> RMarkdown, htmlwidgets, package building tools, etc.
>  - the integration with source code management.
>  - session management (i.e. it's easier to shut down and restart R, which
> you frequently need to do when developing and testing packages)
>  - syntax checking hints in the editor (not just for R, for some other
> languages too).
>
> I think Emacs + ESS matches (exceeds if you count non-R stuff) RStudio in
> functionality, but it is much harder to learn.
>
> Duncan Murdoch

Re: R editor for Mac

R help mailing list-2
Hello Christofer!

For text-editing the R.app GUI has always been fabulous. An old
mainstay on the Mac (after Apple's TextEdit) has been TextWrangler,
and its big-brother, BBEdit. For development RStudio is quite nice,
and--based partly on RStudio's offering of a Vim-compatibility
mode--Vim has become a recent interest, although it has a steep
learning curve. Of course, Vim itself is already available at the
Terminal command line, but more Mac-like version named MacVim is
available at:

https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/releases

Further instructions on using Vim with R are available here:
http://manuals.bioinformatics.ucr.edu/home/programming-in-r/vim-r

BTW, it looks like you're using an older version of Mac OS X (Lion,
version 10.7.5) released in 2012. So some of the text editors
mentioned by others in this thread may not be their "latest and
greatest." Also, while you can run R version 3.2.1 right now (current
R version is 3.2.3), the R Mac page says "NOTE: the binary support for
OS X before Mavericks (10.9) is being phased out, we do not expect
further releases!" See:

https://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/

Mac OS X is now at version 10.11.4 (El Capitan). Wikipedia says some
Macs all the way back to 2007 can run El Capitan (see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X_El_Capitan), so there may be an
upgrade path for you, if not all the way to El Capitan (10.11) then
maybe up to Mavericks (10.9), to keep you from having to compile
future R-versions from source. Finally, you should consider checking
out the R-Sig-Mac mailing list for further Mac-specific info:

HTH,

Bill

W. Michels, Ph.D.

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 10:22 AM, Christofer Bogaso

Re: R editor for Mac

Filoche
On 01/20/2016 07:22 PM, Christofer Bogaso wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could you please suggest a good R editor for Mac OS X (10.7.5)
> Previously my operating system was Windows and there I used Notepad++,
> I really had very nice experience with it. However I dont see any Mac
> version is available for Mac.
>
> Appreciate your positive feedback.
>
> Thanks and regards,

Atom seems to be a good choice also.

Re: R editor for Mac

Ista Zahn
On Jan 21, 2016 12:01 PM, "Philippe Massicotte" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 01/20/2016 07:22 PM, Christofer Bogaso wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Could you please suggest a good R editor for Mac OS X (10.7.5)
>> Previously my operating system was Windows and there I used Notepad++,
>> I really had very nice experience with it. However I dont see any Mac
>> version is available for Mac.
>>
>> Appreciate your positive feedback.
>>
>> Thanks and regards,
>>
> Atom seems to be a good choice also.

Is it? Which package(s) should I install to write and run R code in Atom?
Certainly I don't see anything useful out of the box.

Best,
Ista

Re: R editor for Mac

hrbrmstr
Here you go Ista: https://atom.io/packages/repl (Atom rly isn't bad
for general purpose data sci needs, I still think RStudio is the best
environment for working with R projects).

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 12:48 PM, Ista Zahn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2016 12:01 PM, "Philippe Massicotte" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 01/20/2016 07:22 PM, Christofer Bogaso wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Could you please suggest a good R editor for Mac OS X (10.7.5)
>>> Previously my operating system was Windows and there I used Notepad++,
>>> I really had very nice experience with it. However I dont see any Mac
>>> version is available for Mac.
>>>
>>> Appreciate your positive feedback.
>>>
>>> Thanks and regards,
>>>
>> Atom seems to be a good choice also.
>
> Is it? Which package(s) should I install to write and run R code in Atom?
> Certainly I don't see anything useful out of the box.
>
> Best,
> Ista

Re: R editor for Mac

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 20/01/2016 1:28 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 20/01/2016 1:22 PM, Christofer Bogaso wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Could you please suggest a good R editor for Mac OS X (10.7.5)
> > Previously my operating system was Windows and there I used Notepad++,
> > I really had very nice experience with it. However I dont see any Mac
> > version is available for Mac.
> >
> > Appreciate your positive feedback.
>
> RStudio is probably best on both OS X and Windows.    A nice advantage
> is that it looks the same on both, so you can move back and forth.
>
> I only know two negatives:
>
>    - I still don't like the tiled window.  I often work on a small
> screen, and it's not enough space.
>
>    - The editor still changes file endings to native format whenever it
> saves.  It would be better if it handled both Windows and Unix line
> endings in both systems, and left them alone unless the user asked them
> to be changed.

I've just heard offline from JJ Allaire that both negatives above have
been addressed in a version soon to be released.   Excellent news!

Re: R editor for Mac

hrbrmstr
Aye. You can make source/editor windows consume the entire area or
have them as separate windows and can define a consistent line-ending
vs platform native (I run RStudio Preview and [sometimes] dailies and
can confirm these are in there). The addition of full R
(C/C++/HTML/javascript/etc) code diagnostics (optional) is also a
pretty compelling feature.

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 1:06 PM, Duncan Murdoch
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20/01/2016 1:28 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>>
>> On 20/01/2016 1:22 PM, Christofer Bogaso wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Could you please suggest a good R editor for Mac OS X (10.7.5)
>> > Previously my operating system was Windows and there I used Notepad++,
>> > I really had very nice experience with it. However I dont see any Mac
>> > version is available for Mac.
>> >
>> > Appreciate your positive feedback.
>>
>> RStudio is probably best on both OS X and Windows.    A nice advantage
>> is that it looks the same on both, so you can move back and forth.
>>
>> I only know two negatives:
>>
>>    - I still don't like the tiled window.  I often work on a small
>> screen, and it's not enough space.
>>
>>    - The editor still changes file endings to native format whenever it
>> saves.  It would be better if it handled both Windows and Unix line
>> endings in both systems, and left them alone unless the user asked them
>> to be changed.
>

> I've just heard offline from JJ Allaire that both negatives above have been
> addressed in a version soon to be released.   Excellent news!
>

> Duncan Murdoch

Re: R editor for Mac

Ista Zahn
On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 12:54 PM, boB Rudis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Here you go Ista: https://atom.io/packages/repl (Atom rly isn't bad
> for general purpose data sci needs, I still think RStudio is the best
> environment for working with R projects).

Thanks Bob, the Atom REPL thingy is nice. I'm sticking with Emacs with
ESS (via Spacemacs) for now, but will keep an eye on Atom.

--Ista

> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 12:48 PM, Ista Zahn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Jan 21, 2016 12:01 PM, "Philippe Massicotte" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> Atom seems to be a good choice also.
>>
>> Is it? Which package(s) should I install to write and run R code in Atom?
>> Certainly I don't see anything useful out of the box.
>>
>> Best,
>> Ista

Re: R editor for Mac

R help mailing list-2
Run Atom with the language-r and r-exec packages:

"A language description and snippets for R"
https://atom.io/packages/language-r

"Send R code to various consoles"
https://atom.io/packages/r-exec

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 9:54 AM, boB Rudis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here you go Ista: https://atom.io/packages/repl (Atom rly isn't bad
> for general purpose data sci needs, I still think RStudio is the best
> environment for working with R projects).
>
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 12:48 PM, Ista Zahn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Jan 21, 2016 12:01 PM, "Philippe Massicotte" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> Atom seems to be a good choice also.
>>
>> Is it? Which package(s) should I install to write and run R code in Atom?
>> Certainly I don't see anything useful out of the box.
>>
>> Best,
>> Ista

Re: R editor for Mac

Berend Hasselman

> On 21 Jan 2016, at 19:06, Duncan Murdoch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 20/01/2016 1:28 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>> On 20/01/2016 1:22 PM, Christofer Bogaso wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Could you please suggest a good R editor for Mac OS X (10.7.5)
>> > Previously my operating system was Windows and there I used Notepad++,
>> > I really had very nice experience with it. However I dont see any Mac
>> > version is available for Mac.
>> >
>> > Appreciate your positive feedback.
>>
>> RStudio is probably best on both OS X and Windows.    A nice advantage
>> is that it looks the same on both, so you can move back and forth.
>>
>> I only know two negatives:
>>
>>   - I still don't like the tiled window.  I often work on a small
>> screen, and it's not enough space.
>>
>>   - The editor still changes file endings to native format whenever it
>> saves.  It would be better if it handled both Windows and Unix line
>> endings in both systems, and left them alone unless the user asked them
>> to be changed.
>
> I've just heard offline from JJ Allaire that both negatives above have been addressed in a version soon to be released.   Excellent news!

The Rstudio editor has a weird difference between OS X and Linux.
It has a shortcut Ctrl+K which is supposed to Delete to Line End (and not delete the Line End).

On OS X the shortcut Ctrl+K will also delete the end of line thus joining the next line with the remainder of the current line.
On Linux that doesn't happen.

I've complained about that quite some time ago but nothing seems to be done about it.

Berend