R evolution suggestion request

neonira Arinoem
Good evening R devel mailing list.

Just wonder if there is a way to ask for an evolution of the R language. In
affirmative case, let me know.

I use R for now many years, and still like it very much. It evolves quite
smoothly and improves well. Nevertheless, there is one topic that I still
miss in R language.

It is pure native R annotation, I mean à la java. I wish to have an @
operator available a R language level to create/embed real code
annotations. Currently, the best I can get is to use a trick of hiding such
thing behind a comment. Neither good, not the right way, as comments are
comments, and annotations are annotations. They must be distinguished and
distinguish-able immediately, both for humans and code parsers.

Could you tell me, who should I get in touch with to share and promote this
need, that I believe, could bring a new frontier to R, and could generate a
lot of benefits for R users community.

Best regards.
Fabien GELINEAU, a.k.a Neonira

Re: R evolution suggestion request

S Ellison-2
> It is pure native R annotation, I mean à la java. I wish to have an @
> operator available a R language level to create/embed real code
> annotations. Currently, the best I can get is to use a trick of hiding such
> thing behind a comment. Neither good, not the right way, as comments are
> comments, and annotations are annotations. They must be distinguished and
> distinguish-able immediately, both for humans and code parsers.

I can't comment on whether R can be extended in that way; that's R-core to answer.
But @ is the slot extraction operator in S4 (see ?"@") so you'd need another operator symbol.

But for faintly java-like annotation used for documentation and namespace management, you could look at the roxygen package; see
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/roxygen2/vignettes/roxygen2.html

S Ellison

This email and any attachments are confidential. Any use, copying or
disclosure other than by the intended recipient is unauthorised. If
immediately via +44(0)20 8943 7000 or notify [hidden email]
and delete this message and any copies from your computer and network.
LGC Limited. Registered in England 2991879.
Registered office: Queens Road, Teddington, Middlesex, TW11 0LY, UK