R for a stats intro for undergrads in the US?

R for a stats intro for undergrads in the US?

Spencer Graves-3
Hello, All:

       Would anyone recommend R for an introductory statistics class for
freshman psychology students in the US?  If yes, might there be any
notes for such available?

       I just checked r-projects.org and CRAN contributed documentation
and found nothing.

       I have a friend who teaches such a class, and wondered if R might
be suitable.  The alternative is SPSS at $406 per student.

       Thanks,
       Spencer

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer

Re: R for a stats intro for undergrads in the US?

umair durrani
Hi Spencer,
I would definitely recommend R for introductory stats. course because it is free and easy to learn. You can visit www.twotorials.com for two-minute tutorials on R. Also www.coursera.org offers many free courses on R, for intro stats check this out: https://www.coursera.org/course/stats1
Hope this helps,
Umair Durrani

email: [hidden email]

> Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 18:19:16 -0800
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [R] R for a stats intro for undergrads in the US?
>
> Hello, All:
>

>        Would anyone recommend R for an introductory statistics class for
> freshman psychology students in the US?  If yes, might there be any
> notes for such available?
>

>        I just checked r-projects.org and CRAN contributed documentation
> and found nothing.
>

>        I have a friend who teaches such a class, and wondered if R might
> be suitable.  The alternative is SPSS at $406 per student.
>

>        Thanks,
>        Spencer
>

> --
> Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
> President and Chief Technology Officer
> Structure Inspection and Monitoring, Inc.
> 751 Emerson Ct.
> San José, CA 95126
> ph:  408-655-4567
> web:  www.structuremonitoring.com

Re: R for a stats intro for undergrads in the US?

Spencer Graves-3
Hi, Umair Durrani:

       Thanks very much for the quick reply.  The course you mentioned
does not feature "psychology", that I could see. However, my friend
might be able to use pieces of that course in hers.

       Thanks again.
       Spencer

On 11/16/2013 7:58 PM, umair durrani wrote:

> /Hi Spencer,/
> /
> /
> /I would definitely recommend R for introductory stats. course because
> it is free and easy to learn. You can visit www.twotorials.com for
> two-minute tutorials on R. Also www.coursera.org offers many free
> courses on R, for intro stats check this out:
> /https://www.coursera.org/course/stats1
>
> Hope this helps,
> /Umair Durrani/
> /email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>/
>

> > Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 18:19:16 -0800
> > From: [hidden email]
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: [R] R for a stats intro for undergrads in the US?
> >
> > Hello, All:
> >

> > Would anyone recommend R for an introductory statistics class for
> > freshman psychology students in the US? If yes, might there be any
> > notes for such available?
> >

> > I just checked r-projects.org and CRAN contributed documentation
> > and found nothing.
> >

> > I have a friend who teaches such a class, and wondered if R might
> > be suitable. The alternative is SPSS at $406 per student.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Spencer

Re: R for a stats intro for undergrads in the US?

Fox, John
Dear Spencer,

I regularly use R (via the R Commander) for intro stats courses taught to
third-year sociology undergrads (in Canada). Without knowing where your
friend teaches, it's hard to know what her students are like, but in my
experience psychology students are generally more numerate than sociology
students, and first-year students would likely have a bit more trouble with
the course than third-year students. That your friend's department teaches
this course in the first year suggests that it, and possibly its students,
have a quantitative orientation.

I've also used a variety of statistical software to teach intro stats,
including SPSS. I originally wrote the Rcmdr package so that I could use R
instead, and I find that students have no more trouble pointing and clicking
in the R Commander than they do in SPSS. It's also my experience that
computing, regardless of the software that I've used, is the least
problematic part of the course. It's much harder for students to understand
statistical concepts, and even to apply simple formulas correctly, than to
use menu-driven statistical software.

If you'd like to take a look at the course website for my undergrad class
the last time I taught it in 2011-2012, it's at
<http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Courses/soc3h6/index.html>. I'm
currently teaching essentially the same course, but for grad students in an
accelerated one-semester format, and that's at
<http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Courses/soc6z3/index.html>. You'll
notice that in the grad class, students use their own computers, while in
the undergrad class, they use a computer lab. That decision relates more to
the size of the class (about 200 undergrads divided into four labs, 10 grad
students) than to the level of the students.

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox, Professor
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/

Spencer Graves-2
Hi, John:  Thanks very much.  That sounds like pretty close to what my
friend needs -- especially the comparison of Rcmdr with SPSS.  (My
friend teaches at Santa Clara University, a private university supported
by the Catholic Church located in Santa Clara, California.  I don't
know, but I'd guess that their freshmen tend to be more advanced than
those at community colleges or public universities that don't stress
research like the University of California or McMaster.)  Spencer

On 11/17/2013 6:53 AM, John Fox wrote:

> Dear Spencer,
>
> I regularly use R (via the R Commander) for intro stats courses taught to
> third-year sociology undergrads (in Canada). Without knowing where your
> friend teaches, it's hard to know what her students are like, but in my
> experience psychology students are generally more numerate than sociology
> students, and first-year students would likely have a bit more trouble with
> the course than third-year students. That your friend's department teaches
> this course in the first year suggests that it, and possibly its students,
> have a quantitative orientation.
>
> I've also used a variety of statistical software to teach intro stats,
> including SPSS. I originally wrote the Rcmdr package so that I could use R
> instead, and I find that students have no more trouble pointing and clicking
> in the R Commander than they do in SPSS. It's also my experience that
> computing, regardless of the software that I've used, is the least
> problematic part of the course. It's much harder for students to understand
> statistical concepts, and even to apply simple formulas correctly, than to
> use menu-driven statistical software.
>
> If you'd like to take a look at the course website for my undergrad class
> the last time I taught it in 2011-2012, it's at
> <http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Courses/soc3h6/index.html>. I'm
> currently teaching essentially the same course, but for grad students in an
> accelerated one-semester format, and that's at
> <http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Courses/soc6z3/index.html>. You'll
> notice that in the grad class, students use their own computers, while in
> the undergrad class, they use a computer lab. That decision relates more to
> the size of the class (about 200 undergrads divided into four labs, 10 grad
> students) than to the level of the students.
>
> I hope this helps,
>   John

> John Fox, Professor
> McMaster University
> Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
> http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/

jlhoward
Googling "R for psychology students" I found this:
http://health.adelaide.edu.au/psychology/ccs/docs/lsr/lsr-0.3.pdf

and this:
https://personality-project.org/r/

The latter has links to many short courses and tutorials.

If you do end up using R, I find the following sites extremely helpful:
Quick-R <http://www.statmethods.net/> : (http://www.statmethods.net/)has a very intuitive layout with lots of really helpful
examples.
Cookbook for R <http://www.cookbook-r.com/> : (http://www.cookbook-r.com/) is organized around showing you how to do specific
things.

Know that R is a command driven language, so no "point and click" really - you have to learn the commands which does make for a
learning curve. Still, most basic statistics and a lot of not so basic statistics can be generated with just a few commands. I would
also recommend having students install R-studio <http://www.rstudio.com/>  (http://www.rstudio.com/) in addition to R (there's
controversy about this - many people hate R-Studio). I find it very helpful in organizing work sessions, inspecting datasets,
locating files, etc.

Good luck with it.

Re: R for a stats intro for undergrads in the US?

Christopher W. Ryan
I would recommend it. I have no experience teaching statistics to
psychology students, but I have done a sequence of hands-on workshops
introducing R to a class of high school students who were engaged in a
three-year-long science research class. My presentations were not
discipline-specific, and we have just barely gotten into any real
statistical concepts so far. Mainly it was the nuts and bolts of how to
use base R; the advantages of writing and saving code over a
point-and-click interface, reproducible research and all; and a lot of
graphics. End of last session we just started to tackle the concepts of
sample versus population, and sampling variation.  I could share with
you my org file where I stored all the commands and notes, if it would
be of any use.

--Chris Ryan
SUNY Upstate Medical University
Binghamton, NY

Spencer Graves wrote:

> Hello, All:
>

>       Would anyone recommend R for an introductory statistics class for
> freshman psychology students in the US?  If yes, might there be any
> notes for such available?
>

>       I just checked r-projects.org and CRAN contributed documentation
> and found nothing.
>

>       I have a friend who teaches such a class, and wondered if R might
> be suitable.  The alternative is SPSS at $406 per student.
>

>       Thanks,
>       Spencer

Re: R for a stats intro for undergrads in the US?

Liviu Andronic
Dear Spencer,
In case you have similar questions you may want to ask them on
r-sig-teaching, which deals specifically with such topics.

Regards,
Liviu

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 3:19 AM, Spencer Graves
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, All:
>

>       Would anyone recommend R for an introductory statistics class for
> freshman psychology students in the US?  If yes, might there be any notes
> for such available?
>

>       I just checked r-projects.org and CRAN contributed documentation and
> found nothing.
>

>       I have a friend who teaches such a class, and wondered if R might be
> suitable.  The alternative is SPSS at $406 per student.
>

>       Thanks,
>       Spencer
>

> --
> Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
> President and Chief Technology Officer
> Structure Inspection and Monitoring, Inc.
> 751 Emerson Ct.
> San José, CA 95126
> ph:  408-655-4567
> web:  www.structuremonitoring.com