R hangs on startup

Vineet Gupta-2
Hi,

I have been struggling with this problem with for 2 weeks, but have yet to find a solution on Google.

I am running R 3.3.3 on Windows 10. For the past 2 weeks, when I open R (and RStudio), the R screen freezes and is unusable. Nothing has changed, to trigger this event. I have tried re-installing the software, and downgrading to an older version of R. Nothing seems to work.

If someone could help me, then I would very much appreciate it. At this point, I am at a loss.

Rgds,
Vineet

Re: R hangs on startup

David Winsemius

> On Apr 2, 2017, at 2:30 PM, Vineet Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have been struggling with this problem with for 2 weeks, but have yet to find a solution on Google.
>
> I am running R 3.3.3 on Windows 10. For the past 2 weeks, when I open R (and RStudio), the R screen freezes and is unusable. Nothing has changed, to trigger this event. I have tried re-installing the software, and downgrading to an older version of R. Nothing seems to work.
>
> If someone could help me, then I would very much appreciate it. At this point, I am at a loss.

Startup difficulties are often the result of a corrupted ,Rdata or .Rhistory file. These are generally hidden files, so you may need to learn how to delete such "dot-files" or whatever term is used to describe files that do no appear on your OS file browser. I don't know where the Windows version of RStudio keeps these files.

> Rgds,
> Vineet
>

> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Rhelp is a plain text mailing list.

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA

Re: R hangs on startup

Vineet Gupta
David,

Thx for the quick reply. Firstly, apologies for using windows - I need to
switch to Linux!

Do you have any suggestion of a suitable website, that may cover how to do
this? I will look on Google, but I generally find that to be a time
intensive, and low reward endeavour.

Rgds,
Vineet

> On Apr 2, 2017, at 2:30 PM, Vineet Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have been struggling with this problem with for 2 weeks, but have yet to
find a solution on Google.

> I am running R 3.3.3 on Windows 10. For the past 2 weeks, when I open R
(and RStudio), the R screen freezes and is unusable. Nothing has changed, to
trigger this event. I have tried re-installing the software, and downgrading
to an older version of R. Nothing seems to work.

> If someone could help me, then I would very much appreciate it. At this
point, I am at a loss.

Startup difficulties are often the result of a corrupted ,Rdata or .Rhistory
file. These are generally hidden files, so you may need to learn how to
delete such "dot-files" or whatever term is used to describe files that do
no appear on your OS file browser. I don't know where the Windows version of
RStudio keeps these files.

> Rgds,
> Vineet
>

> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Rhelp is a plain text mailing list.

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA

Re: R hangs on startup

R help mailing list-2
Starting R with the --vanilla flag will cause it to ignore startup
files.  This is usually a quicker way to rule out such issues than
tracking down where the startup files are stored.  'R --help' tells
about other command line arguments that help home in on which file may
be the problem.

  --no-environ          Don't read the site and user environment files
  --no-site-file        Don't read the site-wide Rprofile
  --no-init-file        Don't read the user R profile
  --restore             Do restore previously saved objects at startup
  --no-restore-data     Don't restore previously saved objects
  --no-restore-history  Don't restore the R history file
  --no-restore          Don't restore anything
  --vanilla             Combine --no-save, --no-restore, --no-site-file,
                        --no-init-file and --no-environ

I don't know of a good way to make R report exactly which file it is
processing as it starts up.  Should --verbose do that?

Re: R hangs on startup

Fox, John
Dear Vineet,

It's not obvious that your problem is OS-specific, nor is it necessarily the case that your problem is a bad .RData or .Rhistory file, though it's worth trying to delete them.

BTW, does R work properly outside of RStudio?

> Do you have any suggestion of a suitable website, that may cover how to do
> this? I will look on Google, but I generally find that to be a time intensive, and
> low reward endeavour.

Generally R will save the workspace on exit (if you ask it to) in the working directory. Under RStudio this would normally be the directory of your current project, or, if you're not using a project and haven't changed your working directory, in your Documents folder.

You're looking for files named .RData (the workspace) and .Rhistory. The former may be hidden in Windows Explorer  if you don't display known-to-Windows file extensions, but you'll still see the R icon. .Rhistory isn't a registered extension and should appear in any event. Right click on these files and delete them.

It's generally a good idea *not* to hide file extensions. In the Windows Explorer "View" tab, check "File name extensions."

I hope this helps,
 John

-----------------------------
John Fox, Professor
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario
Canada L8S 4M4
Web: socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox

> Rgds,
> Vineet

Re: R hangs on startup

Vineet Gupta
John,

R does not work properly, outside of RStudio.

Vineet

> Thx for the quick reply. Firstly, apologies for using windows - I need
> to switch to Linux!

It's not obvious that your problem is OS-specific, nor is it necessarily the
case that your problem is a bad .RData or .Rhistory file, though it's worth
trying to delete them.

BTW, does R work properly outside of RStudio?

> Do you have any suggestion of a suitable website, that may cover how
> to do this? I will look on Google, but I generally find that to be a
> time intensive, and low reward endeavour.

Generally R will save the workspace on exit (if you ask it to) in the
working directory. Under RStudio this would normally be the directory of
your current project, or, if you're not using a project and haven't changed
your working directory, in your Documents folder.

You're looking for files named .RData (the workspace) and .Rhistory. The
former may be hidden in Windows Explorer  if you don't display
known-to-Windows file extensions, but you'll still see the R icon. .Rhistory
isn't a registered extension and should appear in any event. Right click on
these files and delete them.

It's generally a good idea *not* to hide file extensions. In the Windows
Explorer "View" tab, check "File name extensions."

I hope this helps,
 John

-----------------------------
John Fox, Professor
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario
Canada L8S 4M4
Web: socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox

> Rgds,
> Vineet

Re: R hangs on startup

Vineet Gupta

Thanks to all of your answers. I have found that when I open a code file
with RStudio, it opens correctly, and the R session appears to work ok.

However, when I startup and R session or an RStudio session, then the R
session hangs.

I will try the other suggestions below to see if I can solve the problem.

Vineet

> Thx for the quick reply. Firstly, apologies for using windows - I need
> to switch to Linux!

It's not obvious that your problem is OS-specific, nor is it necessarily the
case that your problem is a bad .RData or .Rhistory file, though it's worth
trying to delete them.

BTW, does R work properly outside of RStudio?

> Do you have any suggestion of a suitable website, that may cover how
> to do this? I will look on Google, but I generally find that to be a
> time intensive, and low reward endeavour.

Generally R will save the workspace on exit (if you ask it to) in the
working directory. Under RStudio this would normally be the directory of
your current project, or, if you're not using a project and haven't changed
your working directory, in your Documents folder.

You're looking for files named .RData (the workspace) and .Rhistory. The
former may be hidden in Windows Explorer  if you don't display
known-to-Windows file extensions, but you'll still see the R icon. .Rhistory
isn't a registered extension and should appear in any event. Right click on
these files and delete them.

It's generally a good idea *not* to hide file extensions. In the Windows
Explorer "View" tab, check "File name extensions."

I hope this helps,
 John

-----------------------------
John Fox, Professor
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario
Canada L8S 4M4
Web: socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox

> Rgds,
> Vineet

Re: R hangs on startup

JohnDee
On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 21:30:54 +0000
Vineet Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been struggling with this problem with for 2 weeks, but have
> yet to find a solution on Google.
>
> I am running R 3.3.3 on Windows 10. For the past 2 weeks, when I open
> R (and RStudio), the R screen freezes and is unusable. Nothing has
> changed, to trigger this event. I have tried re-installing the
> software, and downgrading to an older version of R. Nothing seems to
> work.
>
> If someone could help me, then I would very much appreciate it. At
> this point, I am at a loss.
>
> Rgds,
> Vineet

When you say you start R AND R-Studio but the R screen freezes, are you
saying that R-Studio freezes, or is a separate instance of R freezing,
or?  From your post this is not precisely clear.

JWDougherty

Re: R hangs on startup

JohnDee
On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 18:06:06 +0100
"Vineet Gupta" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> John,
>
> R does not work properly, outside of RStudio.
>
> Vineet

That is what I thought you might be saying.  Does it work outside
if RStudio is not loaded?  Windows can occasionally be flaky
about multiple instances of a single program.

John

Re: R hangs on startup

R help mailing list-2
Does R work if started with the --vanilla flag?
(Add it after ...\Rgui.exe in the Target line of
the Windows shortcut or on the command line.)
Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 1:53 PM, John <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 18:06:06 +0100
> "Vineet Gupta" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> John,
>>
>> R does not work properly, outside of RStudio.
>>
>> Vineet
>>
> That is what I thought you might be saying.  Does it work outside
> if RStudio is not loaded?  Windows can occasionally be flaky
> about multiple instances of a single program.
>
> John

Re: R hangs on startup

Jeff Newmiller
> Windows can occasionally be flaky
> about multiple instances of a single
> program.

John... I run multiple instances of R and RStudio on Win7 regularly. About the only poor behaviour I encounter has to do with updating packages used by those other instances.

However, I would never run R as Administrator under Windows. Too many bad things can happen if you do that.

Vineet... please be specific about what command line you are using that leads to trouble. Look in the shortcut properties to figure this out if that is how you are starting it. Using the command line directly will let you try out different options such as --vanilla more easily. You may also need to look at your PATH environment variable (Sys.getenv("PATH")) to make sure of which version you are invoking.