R in Linux (Ubuntu)

gaiarrido
Hi,
I´m trying to move to ubuntu at all, but I don´t like R in Ubuntu because it runs in the terminal, so i can´t access directly to some options R gots in Windows.
Is there any R can i install in ubuntu which runs in hos own prompt or terminal??
Thanks
Mario Garrido Escudero
PhD student
Dpto. de Biología Animal, Ecología, Parasitología, Edafología y Qca. Agrícola
Universidad de Salamanca

Re: R in Linux (Ubuntu)

Rainer M Krug-6
On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 10:03 AM, gaiarrido <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I´m trying to move to ubuntu at all, but I don´t like R in Ubuntu because
> it
> runs in the terminal, so i can´t access directly to some options R gots in
> Windows.
> Is there any R can i install in ubuntu which runs in hos own prompt or
> terminal??

Well - R under Linux *is* a terminal...

But there are GUI you can use, which are nicer then the windows one:

1) RStudio ---  http://rstudio.org --- very nice GUI and many possibilities
2) RKward ---  http://rkward.sourceforge.net/ --- the nicest GUI I know,
with many possibilities

another ressource: http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/

But you should get used to the command line - that is R, the rest are
addons.

Cheers,

Rainer

Thanks

> -----
> Mario Garrido Escudero
> PhD student
> Dpto. de Biología Animal, Ecología, Parasitología, Edafología y Qca.
> Agrícola
> Universidad de Salamanca

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax (F):       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      [hidden email]

Skype:      RMkrug

Re: R in Linux (Ubuntu)

gaiarrido
Thanks very much,
and...Which do you recommend?
Mario Garrido Escudero
PhD student
Dpto. de Biología Animal, Ecología, Parasitología, Edafología y Qca. Agrícola
Universidad de Salamanca

Re: R in Linux (Ubuntu)

Thierry Onkelinx
Dear Mario,

Have a look at Eclipse with the StatET plugin. One of the benefits is that is available for both Linux and Windows which simplifies things when you need to switch often between Windows and Linux (e.g. Windows at work and Linux at home).

Best regards,

Thierry

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek
team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

Research Institute for Nature and Forest
team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
Gaverstraat 4
9500 Geraardsbergen
Belgium

tel. + 32 54/436 185
[hidden email]
www.inbo.be

To call in the statistician after the experiment is done may be no more than asking him to perform a post-mortem examination: he may be able to say what the experiment died of.
~ Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher

The plural of anecdote is not data.
~ Roger Brinner

The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body of data.
~ John Tukey

Re: R in Linux (Ubuntu)

Rainer M Krug-6
On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 3:49 PM, gaiarrido <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks very much,
> and...Which do you recommend?

I am using emacs + ESS - but as you have mentioned "options", I assume you
would like to e.g. manage package installation from the GUI - which you can
do with both mentioned GUIs.

Which one I recommend? I have used rkward briefly and thought it is very
nice, but I haven't hused RStudio, but it get's really good reviews (and it
looks nice) - so probably start with RStudio, seems to be easier when coming
from Windows, but it absolutely depends on your taste - try them out.

Concerning Eclipse and StatET: also nice, but more for writing scripts (if I
remember correctly - same as with ESS), and not that much the "R admin" as
installation of packages. But seriously: take a day and look at R from the
command line - it will be much easier and you have many more options, and
then use Eclipse or ESS.

Cheers,

Rainer

> -----
> Mario Garrido Escudero
> PhD student
> Dpto. de Biología Animal, Ecología, Parasitología, Edafología y Qca.
> Agrícola
> Universidad de Salamanca

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax (F):       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      [hidden email]

Skype:      RMkrug

Re: R in Linux (Ubuntu)

Michael Dewey
At 09:03 29/07/2011, gaiarrido wrote:
>Hi,
>I´m trying to move to ubuntu at all, but I don´t like R in Ubuntu because it
>runs in the terminal, so i can´t access directly to some options R gots in
>Windows.

Mario, it would help if you told us which options
from the Windows GUI you are missing.

If you want a really light solution then I use Kate as an editor. I go
kate myfileofcommands.r
make any changes I want then open a terminal
window, run R in that window and
source("myfileofcommands.r") or pipe commands from the file into the window.
?sink
?savehistory
may also help you

>Is there any R can i install in ubuntu which runs in hos own prompt or
>terminal??
>Thanks
>
>-----
>Mario Garrido Escudero
>PhD student
>Dpto. de Biología Animal, Ecología,
>Parasitología, Edafología y Qca. Agrícola
>Universidad de Salamanca
>--

Michael Dewey
[hidden email]
http://www.aghmed.fsnet.co.uk/home.html

Re: R in Linux (Ubuntu)

vojta@trapa.cz
I can recommend Rkward. I use it and I'm fully satisfied with it. There is nice menu (You can "click" most of needed functions, load packages, ...), sheets with Your data, terminal with debugger and so on... Really good tool.
Best regards,
Vojtěch
Vojtěch Zeisek
http://trapa.cz/en/

Department of Botany, Faculty of Science
Charles University in Prague
Benátská 2, Prague, 12801, CZ
http://botany.natur.cuni.cz/en/

Institute of Botany, Academy of Science
Zámek 1, Průhonice, 25243, CZ
http://www.ibot.cas.cz/en/

Czech Republic

http://www.opensuse.org/

Re: R in Linux (Ubuntu)

gaiarrido
Thanks very much everybody.
I'm going to try all the options and tell you