R in UNIX OS

Javier Villacampa González
Hello,

I have a silly questions:

is possilbe to install R in a AIX OS Machine?
Where can I found the download files?

Thank you in advance

Javier

Re: R in UNIX OS

Loris Bennett-2
Javier Villacampa González <[hidden email]>
writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have a silly questions:
>
> is possilbe to install R in a AIX OS Machine?
> Where can I found the download files?
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> Javier

It may be difficult to find a version pre-packaged for AIX, but you can
always compile R yourself from the sources.  If your AIX machine has
some optimised maths library, such as IBM's MASS or Intel's MKL, then
you probably want to do this anyway.

Cheers,

Loris

Re: R in UNIX OS

David Winsemius

> On Nov 3, 2015, at 7:10 AM, Loris Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Javier Villacampa González <[hidden email]>
> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a silly questions:
>>
>> is possilbe to install R in a AIX OS Machine?
>> Where can I found the download files?
>>
>> Thank you in advance
>>
>> Javier
>
> It may be difficult to find a version pre-packaged for AIX, but you can
> always compile R yourself from the sources.  If your AIX machine has
> some optimised maths library, such as IBM's MASS or Intel's MKL, then
> you probably want to do this anyway.

There’s even a section in the Installation and Administration Guide. On my machine it gets pulled up with help, and it should be shipped with every installation of R.

http://127.0.0.1:30169/doc/manual/R-admin.html#AIX

David.

> Cheers,
>
> Loris
>
> --
> This signature is currently under construction.

Re: R in UNIX OS

Jeff Newmiller
You are in the hinterlands of operating systems. If you Google for R and AIX you should find an R-forge project that purports to offer some assistance, but I suspect that a copy of the R source code and the R Installation and Administration document will be your best friends. Your success will probably strongly depend on how much of the GNU software development chain that you already have working.  If you have more questions then you should read the Posting Guide mentioned at the bottom of this message which directs you to the R-devel mailing list for questions on compiling R.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing

On November 3, 2015 2:47:15 AM PST, "Javier Villacampa González" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a silly questions:
>
>is possilbe to install R in a AIX OS Machine?
>Where can I found the download files?
>
>Thank you in advance
>
>Javier

Re: R in UNIX OS

Eric Brown
writes:

> is possilbe to install R in a AIX OS Machine?
> Where can I found the download files?

Hi Javier,

I tried to install on AIX using xlc/xlf and the native stack, but
it did
not work.  In the bowels of Google, there are some patches
proposed for
the 2.x series, and I was unable to get them to work.

My recollection is that the Freeware for AIX (i.e. GNU stack) is
rather
old, and you would have a hard time getting newer versions of R to
compile with those due to version dependencies.

It's really tough to get GNU R to run, unless your machine happens
to be
running GNU/Linux on Power.

Good luck,
Eric