[R-pkgs] New package "list" for analyzing list survey experiments

[R-pkgs] New package "list" for analyzing list survey experiments

Graeme Blair
Dear all,

Kosuke Imai and I announce the new package "list," which is now available on CRAN.

list: Multivariate Statistical Analysis for the Item Count Technique

List allows researchers to conduct multivariate statistical analyses with data from the item count technique for sensitive survey questions. This survey methodology, also known as the list experiment or the unmatched count technique, is an alternative to the commonly used randomized response method. The package implements the methods described in Imai (2010) ``Statistical Inference for the Item Count Technique.''

More information is available at http://imai.princeton.edu/projects/sensitive.html

Best wishes,

Graeme Blair and Kosuke Imai
Department of Politics
Princeton University

Re: [R-pkgs] New package "list" for analyzing list survey experiments

Jeffrey J. Hallman-2
I know nothing about your package, but "list" is a terrible name for it,
as "list" is also the name of a data type in R.
--
Jeff

Re: [R-pkgs] New package "list" for analyzing list survey experiments

Spencer Graves-2
       I encourage all authors and maintainers of packages that they use
"findFn" in the "sos" package to search for other uses of a name you
want to use.  The "findFn" function searches for matches in the help
pages of contributed packages, including all of CRAN plus some
elsewhere.  The "grepFn" can identify help pages whose name contains a
particular term.

       The R Journal from last December contains an article describing
this:
"http://journal.r-project.org/archive/2009-2/RJournal_2009-2_Graves~et~al.pdf".

       Hope this helps.
       Spencer Graves

On 7/12/2010 7:08 AM, Jeffrey J. Hallman wrote:
> I know nothing about your package, but "list" is a terrible name for it,
> as "list" is also the name of a data type in R.

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Operating Officer

Re: [R-pkgs] New package "list" for analyzing list surveyexperiments

Raubertas, Richard
I agree that 'list' is a terrible package name, but only secondarily
because it is a data type.  The primary problem is that it is so generic

as to be almost totally uninformative about what the package does.

For some reason package writers seem to prefer maximally uninformative
names for their packages.  To take some examples of recently announced
packages, can anyone guess what packages 'FDTH', 'rtv', or 'lavaan'
do?  Why the aversion to informative names along the lines of
'Freq_dist_and_histogram', 'RandomTimeVariables', and
'Latent_Variable_Analysis', respectively?

R.Raubertas

Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachme...{{dropped:11}}

Re: [R-pkgs] New package "list" for analyzing list surveyexperiments

Erik Iverson-3

Raubertas, Richard wrote:

> I agree that 'list' is a terrible package name, but only secondarily
> because it is a data type.  The primary problem is that it is so generic
>
> as to be almost totally uninformative about what the package does.
>
> For some reason package writers seem to prefer maximally uninformative
> names for their packages.  To take some examples of recently announced
> packages, can anyone guess what packages 'FDTH', 'rtv', or 'lavaan'
> do?  Why the aversion to informative names along the lines of
> 'Freq_dist_and_histogram', 'RandomTimeVariables', and
> 'Latent_Variable_Analysis', respectively?

I'm sure it's part tradition...

ls
cat
rm
cp
mv
su

Re: [R-pkgs] New package "list" for analyzing listsurveyexperiments

Rich:

I suspect it's a cultural relic of the "storage is scarce" era that begat
"C" and "R" in the first place. Cutesiness. Culture is hard to change, but I
think you make a very salient point!

-- Bert

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Statistics

Jonathan Baron
Some of us enter these things with a keyboard!  (Don't know what the
rest of you do.)  That takes time, and command completion won't always
pick out the right one immediately.

On 07/13/10 18:44, Bert Gunter wrote:

> Rich:
>
> I suspect it's a cultural relic of the "storage is scarce" era that begat
> "C" and "R" in the first place. Cutesiness. Culture is hard to change, but I
> think you make a very salient point!
>
> -- Bert
>
> Bert Gunter
> Genentech Nonclinical Statistics

Home page: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron
Editor: Judgment and Decision Making (http://journal.sjdm.org)

Re: [R-pkgs] New package "list" for analyzing list surveyexperiments

Martin Maechler

    RR> I agree that 'list' is a terrible package name, but only
    RR> secondarily because it is a data type.  The primary
    RR> problem is that it is so generic

    RR> as to be almost totally uninformative about what the
    RR> package does.

    RR> For some reason package writers seem to prefer maximally
    RR> uninformative names for their packages.  To take some
    RR> examples of recently announced packages, can anyone
    RR> guess what packages 'FDTH', 'rtv', or 'lavaan' do?  Why
    RR> the aversion to informative names along the lines of
    RR> 'Freq_dist_and_histogram', 'RandomTimeVariables', and
    RR> 'Latent_Variable_Analysis', respectively?

Hmm, apart from the other answers ("cutesiness", "tradition",
"keyboard") about which I agree to some extent, there's the
related question of what package names are / should be allowed.

Interestingly, I haven't found this information as quickly as I
expected {first looking at   help(package.skeleton)  as that
          could be the way to create your very first package},
I've quickly switched to the "Writing R Extensions" manual,
and there, in Chapter "Creating R Packages",
you have to search forward to

  > 1.1.1 The `DESCRIPTION' file
  > ----------------------------
  >
  > The `DESCRIPTION' file contains basic information about the package in
  > the following format:
  >
  >           Package: pkgname
  >           Version: 0.5-1
  >           Date: 2004-01-01
  >           Title: My First Collection of Functions

  [............]

  >    The `DESCRIPTION' file should be written entirely in ASCII for
  > maximal portability.
  >
  >    The `Package' and `Version' fields give the name and the version of
  > the package, respectively.  The name should consist of letters,
  > numbers, and the dot character and start with a letter.
  > The version is a sequence of at least

So, the package name is currently limited to the regular expression

    [A-Za-z][A-Za-z0-9.]+

     {assuming that "A-Za-z" really gives R's  c(LETTERS, letters),
       which is not true in quite a few locales}

and in particular "_" are not allowed.

If you are really interested in more, you should start
discussing the matter on R-devel (rather than R-help).
Note that the "_" is currently used as separator between package
name and package version in some contexts, and allowing "_" be
part of the package name itself may need more changes in the R
project infrastructure (including package repositories and their
tools !!) than we (R Core) would want to
undertake (*and* maintain (!)),
but as I say, R-devel is the place to propose and discuss
changes to R.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich

    RR> R.Raubertas

    >> -----Original Message----- From:
    >> [hidden email]
    >> [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of
    >> Jeffrey J. Hallman Sent: Monday, July 12, 2010 10:09 AM
    >> To: [hidden email] Subject: Re: [R] [R-pkgs]
    >> New package "list" for analyzing list surveyexperiments
    >>
    >> I know nothing about your package, but "list" is a
    >> terrible name for it, as "list" is also the name of a
    >> data type in R.
    >> --
    >> Jeff

Re: [R-pkgs] New package "list" for analyzing list surveyexperiments

Jeffrey J. Hallman-2
Well, as the author of two CRAN packages with short names (tis and
fame), I maintain that short names can be fairly informative. The fame
package is an interface to FAME time series databases, and the tis
package implements the tis (TimeIndexedSeries) class and support classes
that it needs.

When writing a package, you sometimes have to make reference to its
name.  For example, in .C() calls I use the 'package = "pkgname"'
argument pretty often. And it's nice to have the output from calling
search() look nice.

Jeff

"Raubertas, Richard" <[hidden email]> writes:

> I agree that 'list' is a terrible package name, but only secondarily
> because it is a data type.  The primary problem is that it is so generic
>
> as to be almost totally uninformative about what the package does.
>
> For some reason package writers seem to prefer maximally uninformative
> names for their packages.  To take some examples of recently announced
> packages, can anyone guess what packages 'FDTH', 'rtv', or 'lavaan'
> do?  Why the aversion to informative names along the lines of
> 'Freq_dist_and_histogram', 'RandomTimeVariables', and
> 'Latent_Variable_Analysis', respectively?

--
Jeff

Re: [R-pkgs] New package "list" for analyzing list surveyexperiments

Yves.Rosseel
On 07/13/2010 07:46 PM, Raubertas, Richard wrote:

> I agree that 'list' is a terrible package name, but only secondarily
> because it is a data type.  The primary problem is that it is so generic
>
> as to be almost totally uninformative about what the package does.
>
> For some reason package writers seem to prefer maximally uninformative
> names for their packages.  To take some examples of recently announced
> packages, can anyone guess what packages 'FDTH', 'rtv', or 'lavaan'
> do?  Why the aversion to informative names along the lines of
> 'Freq_dist_and_histogram', 'RandomTimeVariables', and
> 'Latent_Variable_Analysis', respectively?

As an author of a package with a maximally uninformative name (lavaan),
I like to believe that strange names can have strange attractions. After
all, you did notice the package, didn't you?

Yves Rosseel, UGent.

Re: [R-pkgs] New package "list" for analyzing list surveyexperiments

cybaea
On 13/07/10 19:16, Erik Iverson wrote:

> Raubertas, Richard wrote:
>> I agree that 'list' is a terrible package name, but only secondarily
>> because it is a data type.  The primary problem is that it is so generic
>>
>> as to be almost totally uninformative about what the package does.
>> For some reason package writers seem to prefer maximally
>> uninformative names for their packages.  To take some examples of
>> recently announced packages, can anyone guess what packages 'FDTH',
>> 'rtv', or 'lavaan' do?  Why the aversion to informative names along
>> the lines of
>> 'Freq_dist_and_histogram', 'RandomTimeVariables', and
>> 'Latent_Variable_Analysis', respectively?
>
> I'm sure it's part tradition...
>
> ls
> cat
> rm
> cp
> mv
> su

No need to leave R, which has some 9 one-letter symbols, 35 two-letter
symbols, and 121 three letter symbols in the base and core packages.  It
is just unreal.  (The equivalent numbers from my Linux system are 3, 56,
and 148, and one of those one-letter commands is R!!)

Quiz yourself on these:

"c" "C" "D" "F" "I" "q" "s" "t" "T"

"ar" "as" "bs" "by" "cm" "de" "df" "dt" "el" "gc" "gl" "if" "Im" "is"
"lh" "lm" "ls" "lu" "ns" "pf" "pi" "pt" "qf" "qq" "qr" "qt" "Re" "rf"
"rm" "rt" "sd" "te" "ts" "VA" "vi"

"abs" "acf" "ACF" "AIC" "all" "aml" "any" "aov" "Arg" "ave" "bam" "bcv"
"bdf" "BIC" "bmp" "BOD" "box" "bxp" "cat" "cav" "ccf" "cch" "cd4" "cgd"
"co2" "CO2" "col" "cor" "cos" "cov" "cut" "DDT" "det"
"dim" "Dim" "dir" "end" "exp" "fft" "fgl" "fir" "fix" "for" "gam" "get"
"glm" "gls" "Gun" "hat" "hcl" "hsv" "IGF" "IQR" "Kfn" "knn" "lag" "lcm"
"lda" "lme" "log" "lqs" "mad" "Map" "max" "mca" "min" "mle" "Mod" "new"
"nlm" "nls" "npk" "nsl" "OME" "one" "Ops" "pam" "par" "pbc" "PBG" "pdf"
"pie" "png" "ppr" "qda" "raw" "rep" "rev" "rfs" "rgb" "rig" "rle" "rlm"
"row" "rug" "seq" "sin" "SOM" "SSD" "SSI" "stl" "str" "sub" "sum" "svd"
"svg" "tan" "tar" "tau" "tcl" "tmd" "try" "tsp" "two" "ucv" "unz" "url"
"var" "x11" "X11" "xor"

Generated from R --vanilla with:

for (p in c("base", "boot", "class", "cluster", "codetools", "datasets",
"foreign", "graphics", "grDevices", "grid", "KernSmooth", "lattice",
"MASS", "Matrix", "methods", "mgcv", "nlme", "nnet", "rpart", "spatial",
"splines", "stats", "stats4", "survival", "tcltk", "tools", "utils"))
library(p, character.only=TRUE)
rm(p)
one <- unique(grep("^[[:alnum:]]+$", apropos("^.$"), value=TRUE))
two <- unique(grep("^[[:alnum:]]+$", apropos("^..$"), value=TRUE))
three <- unique(grep("^[[:alnum:]]+$", apropos("^...$"), value=TRUE))

and from the bash shell with

ls -1 {/usr,}/bin/? 2>/dev/null
ls -1 {/usr,}/bin/?? | perl -ne 'print substr $_,-3' | sort -u | wc -l
ls -1 {/usr,}/bin/??? | perl -ne 'print substr $_,-4' | sort -u | wc -l

Allan

Re: [R-pkgs] New package "list" for analyzing list surveyexperiments

Hadley Wickham-2
>> For some reason package writers seem to prefer maximally uninformative
>> names for their packages.  To take some examples of recently announced
>> packages, can anyone guess what packages 'FDTH', 'rtv', or 'lavaan'
>> do?  Why the aversion to informative names along the lines of
>> 'Freq_dist_and_histogram', 'RandomTimeVariables', and
>> 'Latent_Variable_Analysis', respectively?
>
> As an author of a package with a maximally uninformative name (lavaan), I
> like to believe that strange names can have strange attractions. After all,
> you did notice the package, didn't you?

Plus you can google it!

Hadley

http://had.co.nz/

Re: [R-pkgs] New package "list" for analyzing list surveyexperiments

Ravi Varadhan
Let me quote the authority on naming convention:

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Best,
Ravi.

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,
School of Medicine
Johns Hopkins University

Ph. (410) 502-2619
email: [hidden email]

> >> For some reason package writers seem to prefer maximally uninformative
>  >> names for their packages.  To take some examples of recently announced
>  >> packages, can anyone guess what packages 'FDTH', 'rtv', or 'lavaan'
>  >> do?  Why the aversion to informative names along the lines of
>  >> 'Freq_dist_and_histogram', 'RandomTimeVariables', and
>  >> 'Latent_Variable_Analysis', respectively?
>  >
>  > As an author of a package with a maximally uninformative name
> (lavaan), I
>  > like to believe that strange names can have strange attractions.
> After all,
>  > you did notice the package, didn't you?
>
>  Plus you can google it!
>
>  Hadley
>
>  --
>  Assistant Professor / Dobelman Family Junior Chair
>  Department of Statistics / Rice University

Re: [R-pkgs] New package "list" for analyzing list surveyexperiments

Spencer Graves-2
Yes, but the choice of a name can substantively affect the marketing
success of a new product.  The current "sos" package started as the
"RSiteSearch" package.  I asked people for comments about the name.  The
consensus was that "RSiteSearch" was not a good name for that, and the
universal distress signal "sos" would be better.  Spencer

On 7/15/2010 6:04 AM, Ravi Varadhan wrote:

> Let me quote the authority on naming convention:
>
> "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
>
> Best,
> Ravi.

> Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor,
> Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology
> School of Medicine
> Johns Hopkins University
>
> Ph. (410) 502-2619
> email: [hidden email]

-- Hmm... Strange attractors. We're into quantum physics now ... :0

-- Bert