R training courses

Walker, Russell
Hi All,

I am interested in learning about people's experience with R training or
courses. What worked, what didn't? What do you recommend?

Also, if there any groups or individuals that have and can offer R
training courses, please contact me directly. I would like to learn
about your services.

Thanks for your input and help. Please feel free to contact me directly.

Russ

Russell Walker, Ph.D.

Senior Strategist

CapitalOne Financial, Inc.

1500 Capital One Drive

Richmond, VA 23238 USA

Internal Zip 12074-0340

External +1 804 855-3512

[hidden email]

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and...{{dropped}}

Re: R training courses

Wei Qiu
I am also looking for this kind of courses. Any suggestion will be greatly
appreciated. Lucy

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Walker, Russell wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I am interested in learning about people's experience with R training or
> courses. What worked, what didn't? What do you recommend?
>

> Also, if there any groups or individuals that have and can offer R
> training courses, please contact me directly. I would like to learn
> about your services.
>

> Thanks for your input and help. Please feel free to contact me directly.
>

> Russ
>

> Russell Walker, Ph.D.
>

> Senior Strategist
>

> CapitalOne Financial, Inc.
>

> 1500 Capital One Drive
>

> Richmond, VA 23238 USA
>

> Internal Zip 12074-0340
>

> External +1 804 855-3512
>

> [hidden email]

> The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and...{{dropped}}

Re: R training courses

Roger J. Bos
Elvis advertises to this list quite regularly.

I took an S+ course offered by Insightful once.  It was okay, but not
great.  For the basics, the best thing is just to sit down with a book (S
Poetry comes to mind) and follow the examples.  For more advanced stuff,
learn it as you go.  I am.

On 2/2/06, Wei Qiu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am also looking for this kind of courses. Any suggestion will be greatly
> appreciated. Lucy
>
> On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Walker, Russell wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >

> > I am interested in learning about people's experience with R training or
> > courses. What worked, what didn't? What do you recommend?
> >

> > Also, if there any groups or individuals that have and can offer R
> > training courses, please contact me directly. I would like to learn
> > about your services.
> >

> > Thanks for your input and help. Please feel free to contact me directly.
> >

> > Russ
> >

> > Russell Walker, Ph.D.
> >

> > Senior Strategist
> >

> > CapitalOne Financial, Inc.
> >

> > 1500 Capital One Drive
> >

> > Richmond, VA 23238 USA
> >

> > Internal Zip 12074-0340
> >

> > External +1 804 855-3512
> >

> > [hidden email]

> > The information contained in this e-mail is confidential
> and...{{dropped}}

Re: R training courses

Luis Torgo-2
On Thursday 02 February 2006 18:05, Walker, Russell wrote:
> I am interested in learning about people's experience with R training or
> courses. What worked, what didn't? What do you recommend?
In the last few years I have been doing several short (around 10 hours)
courses on Data Mining using R. I've prepared them around the same ideas that
guide the unfinished book I'm writing on the same topic
(http://www.liacc.up.pt/~ltorgo/DataMiningWithR/) , that is learning by case
studies. I think that for a tool like R, with a learning curve that people
tend to think as kind of steep, and for short courses, the hands on approach
is a good means to motivate students. This obviously requires properly
equipped classrooms but that is not difficult to get nowadays, particularly
when using free software as R. The feedback I got from these courses was
quite good and several students came back to me later on with further
questions which is a good indication that they continued their involvement
with R.

These courses were usually organized by proving short, non-demanding
introductions to the key concepts, and then followed by longer hands on
sessions where students try by themselves with real case studies. Because of
this I tend to prefer a short number of students (15-25) to increase the
interaction during the hands on parts. Still, I gave this course at last year
ACAI summer school (http://www.ktschool.org/) and eventhough there where
about 50 students the course was successful.

Regarding topics I tend to start by simple case studies where I can illustrate
basic concepts of data analysis using R together with the language itself,
and then select larger cases studies depending on the interests of the
audience.

Luis

--
Luis Torgo
    FEP/LIACC, University of Porto   Phone : (+351) 22 339 20 93

Re: R training courses

Jim Porzak
Internally, we did an "R Programming Study Group" using Thomas Lumley's
excellent slides

http://faculty.washington.edu/tlumley/Rcourse/

over 2 1/2 weeks. Individual success depended on individual motivation. The
couple of folks that needed to come up to speed quickly did so.

I broke Thomas's course into 7 sections.  Assigned sections every other day
(Mon, Wed, Fri, ...). We used our internal wiki to exchange questions,
commnts, hints, etc.

Our need was really R programming. If your needs are more statistical
focused, you could use one of introductory texts.

--
HTH,
Jim Porzak