R under OS X El Capitan 10.11.2

Paul Schlesinger
Since Apple upgrade to 10.11.2 and the new version ggplot2 running
library(ggplot2) gives the following

Error in library.dynam(lib, package, package.lib) :
  shared object ‘Rcpp.so’ not found
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘ggplot2’

Updating all packages went without errors but did not correct this error.
Re-installing R did not correct the situation and similar errors occur in
Studio.  This same R version and ggplot2 on Windows 7 did not produce these
error and is why I do not suspect ggplot2.

Thank you
--
Paul H. Schlesinger MD, PhD

Re: R under OS X El Capitan 10.11.2

David Winsemius

> On Jan 1, 2016, at 6:54 PM, Paul Schlesinger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Since Apple upgrade to 10.11.2 and the new version ggplot2 running
> library(ggplot2) gives the following
>
> Error in library.dynam(lib, package, package.lib) :
>  shared object ‘Rcpp.so’ not found
> Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘ggplot2’

Do you have Rcpp_0.12.2 installed?

> Updating all packages went without errors but did not correct this error.

If you used `update.packages, did you use checkBuilt=TRUE?

> Re-installing R did not correct the situation and similar errors occur in
> Studio.  This same R version and ggplot2 on Windows 7 did not produce these
> error and is why I do not suspect ggplot2.
>
> Thank you
> --
> Paul H. Schlesinger MD, PhD
> Washington University School of Medicine
>
> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Please read the Posting Guide. You are asked to post questions suspected of being due to Mac-related issues on R-SIG-Mac and you are asked to post in HTNL. You are further asked to post a full description of your setup including output from sessionInfo()

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA

Re: R under OS X El Capitan 10.11.2

David Winsemius

> On Jan 2, 2016, at 12:04 AM, David Winsemius <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 1, 2016, at 6:54 PM, Paul Schlesinger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Since Apple upgrade to 10.11.2 and the new version ggplot2 running
>> library(ggplot2) gives the following
>>
>> Error in library.dynam(lib, package, package.lib) :
>> shared object ‘Rcpp.so’ not found
>> Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘ggplot2’
>
> Do you have Rcpp_0.12.2 installed?
>

>> Updating all packages went without errors but did not correct this error.
>
> If you used `update.packages, did you use checkBuilt=TRUE?
>
>> Re-installing R did not correct the situation and similar errors occur in
>> Studio.  This same R version and ggplot2 on Windows 7 did not produce these
>> error and is why I do not suspect ggplot2.
>>
>> Thank you
>> --
>> Paul H. Schlesinger MD, PhD
>> Washington University School of Medicine
>>
>> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

rather ........................., and you are asked NOT to post in HTML.

> You are further asked to post a full description of your setup including output from sessionInfo()

> David Winsemius
> Alameda, CA, USA

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA

Re: R under OS X El Capitan 10.11.2

Fox, John
Dear Paul,

I haven't seen this error myself, so this may be off-base, but the first thing I'd try (if you haven't already done it) is to (re)install Rcpp directly: install.packages("Rcpp"), possibly using a different CRAN mirror.

I hope this helps,
 John

-----------------------------
John Fox, Professor
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario
Canada L8S 4M4
Web: socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox

I haven't experienced this kind of problem myself, but have occasionally noticed that students failed to install a dependency during a package install. The problem can be as simple as a mirror lagging slightly behind CRAN.

I'm cc'ing this back to the r-help list where you posted your initial question, so that the solution will be in the list archives.

Best,
 John

> thank you again
> Paul
>
> On Sat, Jan 2, 2016 at 10:25 AM, Fox, John <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]> > wrote:
>

> Dear Paul,
>
> I haven't seen this error myself, so this may be off-base, but the first
> thing I'd try (if you haven't already done it) is to (re)install Rcpp directly:
> install.packages("Rcpp"), possibly using a different CRAN mirror.
>
> I hope this helps,
> John

> John Fox, Professor
> McMaster University
> Hamilton, Ontario
> Canada L8S 4M4
> Web: socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox <http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox>

Simon Urbanek
Please use R-SIG-Mac and include important details such as your sessionInfo() as well as how you installed the packages. Also make sure you have re-installed Rcpp and that you don't have an older version on your library path.

Cheers,
Simon