R v2.15.3 installation on a under Linux

Christian Meister

I am new on this forum as well as in the "R world". I've been asked to install R v2.15.3 on a Linux server. To do so, I already dug into the forum to find help on how to do that but did not find answer to all questions I have.

The installation has to be done on a Linux (GNU) server. Here the detail of the uname -a command:
Linux xxxxxxxx.xxx.xxxxx.com 2.6.18-128.1.10.el5 #1 SMP Wed Apr 29 13:53:08 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

On that server, a previous R installation (v2.10.0) has been done on 2010 as root using a binary file.

I wanted to install the new version using a technical user. Here my open questions:
   - Can I install R v2.15.3 on top of the existent R version (2.10.0)? If so, how and with which user?
   - Do I need to de-install the old R version first and then install the new version?
   - If I have to install it from scratch, how do I proceed? Compile and Install? Or nay other method?

In advance, many thanks for your help.

Kind regards,
Christian