R versions > 4.0.2 fail to start in Windows 64-bit

R versions > 4.0.2 fail to start in Windows 64-bit

N. Jordan Jameson
I have a 64-bit Windows machine and I've installed R versions 4.0.0 through
4.0.5 and only versions 4.0.2 and below will successfully start. This
morning I installed 4.0.5, and when I start R, the R-gui starts for less
than a second and then disappears. I tried to open R using RStudio and I
got the following messages:

`The R session failed to start.` and ` The R session process exited with
code -1073740791`

The log for this error is:

```
ERROR system error 10053 (An established connection was aborted by the
software in your host machine) [request-uri: /events/get_events];

OCCURRED AT void __thiscall rstudio::session::HttpConnectionImpl<class
rstudio_boost::asio::ip::tcp>::sendResponse(const class
rstudio::core::http::Response &)
src/cpp/session/http/SessionWin32HttpConnectionListener.cpp:113;

LOGGED FROM: void __thiscall rstudio::session::HttpConnectionImpl<class
rstudio_boost::asio::ip::tcp>::sendResponse(const class
rstudio::core::http::Response &)
src/cpp/session/http/SessionWin32HttpConnectionListener.cpp:118
```
I'm not sure what is going on, but this same thing happens with R 4.0.3 and
R 4.0.4, but not with R 4.0.2. I would like to use the most recent version
of R if possible, but for now I am stuck with 4.0.2.

Re: R versions > 4.0.2 fail to start in Windows 64-bit

Jeff Newmiller
Not a problem here. Generally this kind of thing happens when anti-virus software gets aggressive.

On April 20, 2021 9:32:52 AM PDT, "N. Jordan Jameson" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I have a 64-bit Windows machine and I've installed R versions 4.0.0
>through
>4.0.5 and only versions 4.0.2 and below will successfully start. This
>morning I installed 4.0.5, and when I start R, the R-gui starts for
>less
>than a second and then disappears. I tried to open R using RStudio and
>got the following messages:
>
>`The R session failed to start.` and ` The R session process exited
>with
>code -1073740791`
>
>The log for this error is:
>
>```
>ERROR system error 10053 (An established connection was aborted by the
>software in your host machine) [request-uri: /events/get_events];
>
>OCCURRED AT void __thiscall rstudio::session::HttpConnectionImpl<class
>rstudio_boost::asio::ip::tcp>::sendResponse(const class
>rstudio::core::http::Response &)
>src/cpp/session/http/SessionWin32HttpConnectionListener.cpp:113;
>
>LOGGED FROM: void __thiscall rstudio::session::HttpConnectionImpl<class
>rstudio_boost::asio::ip::tcp>::sendResponse(const class
>rstudio::core::http::Response &)
>src/cpp/session/http/SessionWin32HttpConnectionListener.cpp:118
>```
>I'm not sure what is going on, but this same thing happens with R 4.0.3
>and
>R 4.0.4, but not with R 4.0.2. I would like to use the most recent
>version
>of R if possible, but for now I am stuck with 4.0.2.

Re: R versions > 4.0.2 fail to start in Windows 64-bit

Bill Dunlap-2
Does this happen when you start R with the --vanilla flag?  When you remove
or rename ./.RData?

-Bill