R with CouchDB?

David Mitchell
Hello all,

I'm kind of surprised that searching the archives and Googling haven't given
me a result for this...

I've got a large amount of data that is a good fit for CouchDB; it's
reasonably unstructured, and such structure that exists is quite fluid.  I
want to slice the data in many different ways, some of which really don't
fit well with a relational database model. I could probably do it using a
relational DB, but it just doesn't feel like a good fit.

What's the best way to go about extracting data from CouchDB databases, so
that I can process it using R?  There don't seem to be any specific R
modules for CouchDB, but I find it hard to believe that I'd be the first one
to want to do this.

Thanks in advance

Dave M.

Re: R with CouchDB?

Dirk Eddelbuettel

On 16 August 2010 at 21:40, David Mitchell wrote:
| Hello all,
|
| I'm kind of surprised that searching the archives and Googling haven't given
| me a result for this...

There is a project called 'R4CouchDB' on github:

      http://github.com/wactbprot/R4CouchDB

Hth, Dirk

--
Dirk Eddelbuettel | [hidden email] | http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com

Re: R with CouchDB?

barry rowlingson
On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 12:40 PM, David Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What's the best way to go about extracting data from CouchDB databases, so
> that I can process it using R?  There don't seem to be any specific R
> modules for CouchDB, but I find it hard to believe that I'd be the first one
> to want to do this.

 CouchDB docs say it exposes a RESTful HTTP API, so you can access it
via the usual R http mechanisms and use the rjson package to decode
the return values.

 These kinds of unstructured DBs are tricky to write generic packages
for since at least with an RDBMS you know what you get back will look
a bit like a data frame.

Barry

Re: R with CouchDB?

Whit Armstrong-3