R without graphics

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

R without graphics

Mick Jordan
Is it possible to configure and build an R without any graphics support.
I..e no grDevices or graphics packages?

I tried "--with-x=no  --with-cairo=no --with-grDevices=no
--with-graphics=no"

but it is still building grDevices.

My problem is that I am using experimenting with a compiler that cannot
compile the Objective-C file, qdCocoa.m, and I don't need graphics for
this experiment.

Max OS X El Capitan, R-3.2.4.

Thanks
Mick Jordan

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: R without graphics

Dirk Eddelbuettel

On 23 May 2016 at 16:44, Mick Jordan wrote:
| Is it possible to configure and build an R without any graphics support.
| I..e no grDevices or graphics packages?
|
| I tried "--with-x=no  --with-cairo=no --with-grDevices=no
| --with-graphics=no"
|
| but it is still building grDevices.
|
| My problem is that I am using experimenting with a compiler that cannot
| compile the Objective-C file, qdCocoa.m, and I don't need graphics for
| this experiment.
|
| Max OS X El Capitan, R-3.2.4.

Yes of course and all of this is documented, and discussed in many places.

i)   You still need x11 in most cases for _font metrics_

ii)  The key is more or less to build as normal and to run headless

iii) To run headless under a normal Unix OS, you prefix your commands with
     xvfb-run

iv)  I have no idea what special demands Cupertino puts on this.

Dirk

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | [hidden email]

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: R without graphics

Simon Urbanek
In reply to this post by Mick Jordan
Um... any reason why you don't simply disable aqua? That file is only compiled if you enable aqua - it has really nothing to do with grDevices ...

On May 23, 2016, at 7:44 PM, Mick Jordan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is it possible to configure and build an R without any graphics support. I..e no grDevices or graphics packages?
>
> I tried "--with-x=no  --with-cairo=no --with-grDevices=no --with-graphics=no"
>
> but it is still building grDevices.
>
> My problem is that I am using experimenting with a compiler that cannot compile the Objective-C file, qdCocoa.m, and I don't need graphics for this experiment.
>
> Max OS X El Capitan, R-3.2.4.
>
> Thanks
> Mick Jordan
>
> ______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
>

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: R without graphics

Prof Brian Ripley
On 24/05/2016 00:54, Simon Urbanek wrote:
> Um... any reason why you don't simply disable aqua? That file is only compiled if you enable aqua - it has really nothing to do with grDevices ...

Also, you can specify a compiler for Objective-C separately and the
manual advises you to do so (to specify Apple's clang).

> On May 23, 2016, at 7:44 PM, Mick Jordan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to configure and build an R without any graphics support. I..e no grDevices or graphics packages?
>>
>> I tried "--with-x=no  --with-cairo=no --with-grDevices=no --with-graphics=no"

Inventing flags does not help you: use configure --help to see what is
supported (as the manual says).

Reading the manual is faster than posting (and posting Mac-specific Qs
to R-sig-mac is more likely to get an informed response).

>> but it is still building grDevices.
>>
>> My problem is that I am using experimenting with a compiler that cannot compile the Objective-C file, qdCocoa.m, and I don't need graphics for this experiment.
>>
>> Max OS X El Capitan, R-3.2.4.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mick Jordan


--
Brian D. Ripley,                  [hidden email]
Emeritus Professor of Applied Statistics, University of Oxford

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: R without graphics

Mick Jordan
On 5/23/16 10:46 PM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On 24/05/2016 00:54, Simon Urbanek wrote:
>> Um... any reason why you don't simply disable aqua? That file is only
>> compiled if you enable aqua - it has really nothing to do with
>> grDevices ...
>
> Also, you can specify a compiler for Objective-C separately and the
> manual advises you to do so (to specify Apple's clang).
Tried that, but I have to use an old version of clang that can't handle
the code. But --with-aqua=no was the solution.

>
>> On May 23, 2016, at 7:44 PM, Mick Jordan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to configure and build an R without any graphics
>>> support. I..e no grDevices or graphics packages?
>>>
>>> I tried "--with-x=no  --with-cairo=no --with-grDevices=no
>>> --with-graphics=no"
>
> Inventing flags does not help you: use configure --help to see what is
> supported (as the manual says).

I have learnt that R manuals are frequently inaccurate or out of date.
So from the ./configure script:

Optional Packages:
   --with-PACKAGE[=ARG]    use PACKAGE [ARG=yes]

which is why I tried --with-grDevices=no

>
> Reading the manual is faster than posting (and posting Mac-specific Qs
> to R-sig-mac is more likely to get an informed response).
>
I don't need this kind of grief. I hereby sign off from posting to this
list.

Mick Jordan

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel