R won't start keeps crashing

Bazman76
Hi there,

I am reletively new user I only dowloaded is about a week ago.

I was getting along fine but last night I tried to selected save workspace.

Since then R will not work!!!! And I really really need it.

There are two eror massages:

The first if a pop up box is "Fatal error: unable to resolve data in .RData."

The second is a message in the GUI: "Error in loadNamespace(name) there is no package called vars.

When I click to dismiss the message box the whole thing just shuts down!!

I have tried reinstalling but it has made no difference.

Please Help

Re: R won't start keeps crashing

Uwe Ligges-3
Delete the file .RData in your working directory and try to start R again.

Uwe Ligges

On 12.05.2011 11:09, Bazman76 wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am reletively new user I only dowloaded is about a week ago.
>
> I was getting along fine but last night I tried to selected save workspace.
>
> Since then R will not work!!!! And I really really need it.
>
> There are two eror massages:
>
> The first if a pop up box is "Fatal error: unable to resolve data in
> .RData."
>
> The second is a message in the GUI: "Error in loadNamespace(name) there is
> no package called vars.
>
> When I click to dismiss the message box the whole thing just shuts down!!
>
> I have tried reinstalling but it has made no difference.
>
> Please Help

Re: R won't start keeps crashing

Bazman76
OK I did a seach for the files and got:

.Rdata which is 206KB
Canada.Rdata which is 3kB

If I click on .Rdata I get the crash.

If I click on Canada.Rdata the system starts?

also they are stored in different places?

.Rdata is in My documents
Canada.RData is in My Documents\vars\vars\data

I assume I should delete .Rdata, should I also delete the other file?
Where should these files be stored?

I think the .RData was a result of my trying to save the workspace. Are there files being saved to the correct location?

Thanks for your help

Re: R won't start keeps crashing

Jonathan Daily
This is not very informative. What exactly is crashing? What is your
sessionInfo() output?

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Bazman76 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> OK I did a seach for the files and got:
>
> .Rdata which is 206KB
> Canada.Rdata which is 3kB
>
> If I click on .Rdata I get the crash.
>
> If I click on Canada.Rdata the system starts?

Does it? How would I know?

> also they are stored in different places?

Are they?

> .Rdata is in My documents
> Canada.RData is in My Documents\vars\vars\data
>
> I assume I should delete .Rdata, should I also delete the other file?
> Where should these files be stored?
>
> I think the .RData was a result of my trying to save the workspace. Are
> there files being saved to the correct location?
>
> Thanks for your help

What happens when you try the ?load command from R ala:

load("C:/path/to/file")

Re: R won't start keeps crashing

Bazman76

OK when I click on the .RData file I get the screen above. Also when I start R from the desktop icon or from select if from programs I get the same result.

The warning message is in focus and I can not move the focus to the GUI. When I either click to dismiss the message of click to close it the whole session shuts down.

So I can not enter the commands you sugested into this corrupt version.

However, when I click on the Canada.Rdata the R session starts and seems to function normally.

Here are the results of the functions you requested. Not sure if they will help given that this version is workfing?

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.13.0 (2011-04-13)
Platform: i386-pc-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United Kingdom.1252
[2] LC_CTYPE=English_United Kingdom.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United Kingdom.1252
[4] LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United Kingdom.1252

attached base packages:

> load("C:/path/to/file")
Error in readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) : cannot open the connection
In addition: Warning message:
In readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) :
  cannot open compressed file 'C:/path/to/file', probable reason 'No such file or directory'

Sorry if I gave you the wrong information previously, just let me know what you want.

Re: R won't start keeps crashing

Jonathan Daily
I have some suggestions inline below. My biggest suggestion would be
to read the help files that came with R, especially the section
"Invoking R" in "An Introduction to R".

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Bazman76 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n3517669/R_crash.jpg
>
> OK when I click on the .RData file I get the screen above. Also when I start
> R from the desktop icon or from select if from programs I get the same
> result.

This may mean that you answered yes to the exit prompt asking you to
save your workspace, especially if you didn't attempt to save a file
".Rdata"

> The warning message is in focus and I can not move the focus to the GUI.
> When I either click to dismiss the message of click to close it the whole
> session shuts down.
>
> So I can not enter the commands you sugested into this corrupt version.
>

> However, when I click on the Canada.Rdata the R session starts and seems to
> function normally.
>
> Here are the results of the functions you requested. Not sure if they will
> help given that this version is workfing?
>
>> sessionInfo()
> R version 2.13.0 (2011-04-13)
> Platform: i386-pc-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)
>
> locale:
> [1] LC_COLLATE=English_United Kingdom.1252
> [2] LC_CTYPE=English_United Kingdom.1252
> [3] LC_MONETARY=English_United Kingdom.1252
> [4] LC_NUMERIC=C
> [5] LC_TIME=English_United Kingdom.1252
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base
>

>> load("C:/path/to/file")
> Error in readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) : cannot open the connection
> In addition: Warning message:
> In readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) :
>  cannot open compressed file 'C:/path/to/file', probable reason 'No such
> file or directory'

Replace "path/to/file" with the path to your file.

> Sorry if I gave you the wrong information previously, just let me know what
> you want.

Re: R won't start keeps crashing

David Winsemius

On May 12, 2011, at 10:24 AM, Bazman76 wrote:

> http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n3517669/R_crash.jpg
>
> OK when I click on the .RData file I get the screen above. Also when
> I start
> R from the desktop icon or from select if from programs I get the same
> result.

Why do you even have this file around anymore? You have been told that
it is corrupt and that trashing it is the way to go forward.

(I suppose you could the error message regarding the missing `vars`
package and see if that restores civil order, but if .Rdata doesn't
have useful information that would be difficult to rebuild then ....
just trash it.)

--
David.

> The warning message is in focus and I can not move the focus to the
> GUI.
> When I either click to dismiss the message of click to close it the
> whole
> session shuts down.
>
> So I can not enter the commands you sugested into this corrupt
> version.
>

> However, when I click on the Canada.Rdata the R session starts and
> seems to
> function normally.
>
> Here are the results of the functions you requested. Not sure if
> they will
> help given that this version is workfing?
>
>> sessionInfo()
> R version 2.13.0 (2011-04-13)
> Platform: i386-pc-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)
>
> locale:
> [1] LC_COLLATE=English_United Kingdom.1252
> [2] LC_CTYPE=English_United Kingdom.1252
> [3] LC_MONETARY=English_United Kingdom.1252
> [4] LC_NUMERIC=C
> [5] LC_TIME=English_United Kingdom.1252
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base
>

>> load("C:/path/to/file")
> Error in readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) : cannot open the
> connection
> In addition: Warning message:
> In readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) :
>  cannot open compressed file 'C:/path/to/file', probable reason 'No
> such
> file or directory'
>>

> Sorry if I gave you the wrong information previously, just let me
> know what
> you want.

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT

Re: R won't start keeps crashing

Bazman76
I will read the intor to R.

When closing I got a pop up asking me if I wanted to save the workspace I just clicked yes?

here is what I got

load("C:/Documents and Settings/Hugh/My Documents/vars/vars/data")
Error in readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) : cannot open the connection
In addition: Warning message:
In readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) :
  cannot open compressed file 'C:/Documents and Settings/Hugh/My Documents/vars/vars/data', probable reason 'Permission denied'

Re: R won't start keeps crashing

Bazman76
will delete it, just wanted to try and sort out the bug

Re: R won't start keeps crashing

Ivan Calandra
I'm no expert, but checking the R-help list, I got the impression that
saving a workspace often leads to problems.
The interesting question (for me) would be to know why and how the
corrupted file got corrupted, and then, what to do to avoid the problem
if one really wants to save the workspace.

For you Bazman76, I would advise you to never save the workspace. Save
all command lines in a script (*.R) and important objects to files
(either with save() and then load(), or one of the write functions, or
saveObject()/loadObject from package R.utils, and so on).
Someone please correct me if it is a bad practice.

HTH,
Ivan

Le 5/12/2011 18:27, Bazman76 a écrit :

> I will read the intor to R.
>
> When closing I got a pop up asking me if I wanted to save the workspace I
> just clicked yes?
>
> here is what I got
>
> load("C:/Documents and Settings/Hugh/My Documents/vars/vars/data")
> Error in readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) : cannot open the connection
> In addition: Warning message:
> In readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) :
>    cannot open compressed file 'C:/Documents and Settings/Hugh/My
> Documents/vars/vars/data', probable reason 'Permission denied'

Ivan CALANDRA
PhD Student
University of Hamburg
Biozentrum Grindel und Zoologisches Museum
Abt. Säugetiere
Martin-Luther-King-Platz 3
D-20146 Hamburg, GERMANY
+49(0)40 42838 6231

Re: R won't start keeps crashing

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 11-05-13 6:03 AM, Ivan Calandra wrote:

> I'm no expert, but checking the R-help list, I got the impression that
> saving a workspace often leads to problems.
> The interesting question (for me) would be to know why and how the
> corrupted file got corrupted, and then, what to do to avoid the problem
> if one really wants to save the workspace.
>
> For you Bazman76, I would advise you to never save the workspace. Save
> all command lines in a script (*.R) and important objects to files
> (either with save() and then load(), or one of the write functions, or
> saveObject()/loadObject from package R.utils, and so on).
> Someone please correct me if it is a bad practice.

That is good advice.

One way to end up with a "corrupted" workspace is to save it with a
dependency on a particular package, then try to load it when that
package is unavailable.  I'm going to see if R can handle that case more
gracefully.

If people can describe other reproducible methods of getting a corrupted
.Rdata it would be useful, at least for a list of "Don't do that" advice.

Duncan Murdoch

> HTH,
> Ivan
>
> Le 5/12/2011 18:27, Bazman76 a écrit :
>> I will read the intor to R.
>>
>> When closing I got a pop up asking me if I wanted to save the workspace I
>> just clicked yes?
>>
>> here is what I got
>>
>> load("C:/Documents and Settings/Hugh/My Documents/vars/vars/data")
>> Error in readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) : cannot open the connection
>> In addition: Warning message:
>> In readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) :
>>     cannot open compressed file 'C:/Documents and Settings/Hugh/My
>> Documents/vars/vars/data', probable reason 'Permission denied'

Re: R won't start keeps crashing

Rolf Turner-3
On 14/05/11 02:28, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

<SNIP>
> One way to end up with a "corrupted" workspace is to save it with a
> dependency on a particular package, then try to load it when that
> package is unavailable.  I'm going to see if R can handle that case
> more gracefully.

<SNIP>

Pardon me for breathing (which I never do anyway, so I don't know why I
said it .... Oh God!
I'm so depressed!) but how does one save a workspace with a dependency
on a package?
I couldn't do that even if I wanted to!  At least, I don't think I
could! :-)

     cheers,

         Rolf (aka Marvin)

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2011-May/061004.html

--
David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT

On 14/05/11 14:09, David Winsemius wrote:

> On May 13, 2011, at 9:09 PM, Rolf Turner wrote:
>
>> On 14/05/11 02:28, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>>
>> <SNIP>
>>> One way to end up with a "corrupted" workspace is to save it with a
>>> dependency on a particular package, then try to load it when that
>>> package is unavailable.  I'm going to see if R can handle that case
>>> more gracefully.
>>
>> <SNIP>
>>
>> Pardon me for breathing (which I never do anyway, so I don't know why
>> I said it .... Oh God!
>> I'm so depressed!) but how does one save a workspace with a
>> dependency on a package?
>> I couldn't do that even if I wanted to!  At least, I don't think I
>> could! :-)
>
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2011-May/061004.html

Ahhh!  The light dawns!  Thank you.

     cheers,