R2winBUGS | option to turn off GUI?

cooch17
Greetings -

I run a multi-pro server box (GNU/Linux), on which I've installed
winBUGS under wine. Works fine, and plays nice with r2WinBUGS, provided
everything is done through a graphical front-end (either by working from
console, or using a virtual desktop via VNC or equivalent).

However, I'm wondering if there is a way to use R2winBUGS and winBUGS
such that winBUGS does not spawn any windows - in other words, have R
and R2winBUGS access the winBUGS 'engine', dump everything to coda
files, but not generate any windows? I ask because a number of my more
'remote' users have trouble running a graphical interface to the
machine. Rather, they'd like to ssh into a shell, run a R script calling
R2WinBUGS, then sign off. At present, this doesn't work 'cleanly'
because winBUGS keeps trying to open up a window or two. Which, needless
to say, doesn't work if you're running things in an ASCII shell from the
command line.

We've looked at the R2winBUGS docs, and found nothing there (or on
various drills through what we could find on the web) for how to do this
- if it is at all possible.

Possible? If so, we'd be delighted to be enlightened on how! ;-)

Thanks very much in advance...

Re: R2winBUGS | option to turn off GUI?

Uwe Ligges
Same answer as the one for your other R-help question "[R] R2winBUGS &
WinBUGS gui" (November 23).
Folks, sometimes people (like me in this case) are out of office and
then it might take more then an hour to answer your questions...

Best,
Uwe Ligges