RGL package surface plot

ariklee
I'm completely new at R... I have sinkhole survey data (lat, long, and elevation) and have been trying to plot a rotatable 3d plot for several hours... cannot get it right. Examples I see tend to be grid data (one elevation value per grid cell); however, my data are more random (known elevations at known (but random) x-y positions). Data format is tab separated, i.e.:

lat       long       elev
34        43           2
36.8    32.54     6.2
...etc...

please help!

arik

Re: RGL package surface plot

David Winsemius

On Oct 9, 2012, at 5:41 PM, ariklee wrote:

> I'm completely new at R... I have sinkhole survey data (lat, long, and
> elevation) and have been trying to plot a rotatable 3d plot for several
> hours... cannot get it right. Examples I see tend to be grid data (one
> elevation value per grid cell); however, my data are more random (known
> elevations at known (but random) x-y positions). Data format is tab
> separated, i.e.:
>
> lat       long       elev
> 34        43           2
> 36.8    32.54     6.2
> ...etc...

Sounds like you want to fit some sort of 2-D manifold best fit function to a set of points, but you have not provided enough information to construct a solution.

> please help!

Cries of desperation are no substitute for complete data and problem description.

--
David.

David Winsemius, MD
Alameda, CA, USA

Re: RGL package surface plot

Jeff Newmiller
You should help us per the posting guide.... reproducible sample data, code you have tried that you thought would work, why you think it did not, output of sessionInfo function...

Note that you can learn a lot by doing this exercise, your problem may not be where you think it is (or where we might guess it is)

See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5963269/how-to-make-a-great-r-reproducible-example
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing

ariklee <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I'm completely new at R... I have sinkhole survey data (lat, long, and
>elevation) and have been trying to plot a rotatable 3d plot for several
>hours... cannot get it right. Examples I see tend to be grid data (one
>elevation value per grid cell); however, my data are more random (known
>elevations at known (but random) x-y positions). Data format is tab
>separated, i.e.:
>
>lat       long       elev
>34        43           2
>36.8    32.54     6.2
>...etc...
>
>please help!
>
>arik

Re: RGL package surface plot

Stephen Ellison
> I'm completely new at R... I have sinkhole survey data (lat, long, and
> elevation) and have been trying to plot a rotatable 3d plot
> for several hours... cannot get it right.

You can use loess and predict.loess to generate a fitted 3d surface that can be plotted using contour() and similar.

However, given the environmental nature of your problem, you might also look at the geoR package, which implements kriging, one of the more comon fitting methods for environmental data. There's a discussion of using that for prediction of a grid and a subsequent (base graphics) 3-D plot at http://streaming.stat.iastate.edu/~stat506/notes/ordkrigeexamp.pdf

S Ellison