RMySQL with Windows 7

Peretz, Eliran

Hi ,

I read your post and followed your instructions but still couldn't install RMySQL by getting the message: "installation of package ‘RMySQL’ had non-zero exit status"
Can you please walk me through the process from the installation part (version, etc) to all the paths that need to be created and so on.

Appreciate any support you can offer.

Best,

Eliran.

Re: RMySQL with Windows 7

Christian Oswald-4
Hello,

I also don't found a solution for this problem. RMySQL works very well
under Linux but not under Windows. You can try RODBC.

Christian

Am 05.02.2014 14:37, schrieb Peretz, Eliran:

> Hi ,
>
> I read your post and followed your instructions but still couldn't install RMySQL by getting the message: "installation of package â??RMySQLâ?? had non-zero exit status"
> Can you please walk me through the process from the installation part (version, etc) to all the paths that need to be created and so on.
>
> Appreciate any support you can offer.
>
> Best,
>
> Eliran.

Re: RMySQL with Windows 7

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 06/02/2014 8:43 AM, Christian Oswald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I also don't found a solution for this problem. RMySQL works very well
> under Linux but not under Windows. You can try RODBC.

RMySQL works fine for me in Windows.

The most common problem people have installing packages in Windows is
that they try to install them to places where they don't have write
permission.

Duncan Murdoch

> Christian
>

> Am 05.02.2014 14:37, schrieb Peretz, Eliran:
> >
> > Hi ,
> >
> > I read your post and followed your instructions but still couldn't install RMySQL by getting the message: "installation of package â??RMySQLâ?? had non-zero exit status"
> > Can you please walk me through the process from the installation part (version, etc) to all the paths that need to be created and so on.
> >
> > Appreciate any support you can offer.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Eliran.

Re: RMySQL with Windows 7

Christian Oswald-4
Hello,

how can I install it on a wrong place?

 "install.packages("RMySQL",type=source) don't work correct?

Christian

On 06/02/2014 1:39 PM, Christian Oswald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> how can I install it on a wrong place?
>
>   "install.packages("RMySQL",type=source) don't work correct?

Many Windows users have R installed in "c:\Program Files", and normal
users are not allowed to write there.  The .libPaths() function will
tell you what libraries you are using; R will try to install to the
first of those.

Duncan Murdoch

> Christian
>

> Am 06.02.2014 09:28, schrieb Duncan Murdoch:
> > On 06/02/2014 8:43 AM, Christian Oswald wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I also don't found a solution for this problem. RMySQL works very well
> >> under Linux but not under Windows. You can try RODBC.
> >
> > RMySQL works fine for me in Windows.
> >
> > The most common problem people have installing packages in Windows is
> > that they try to install them to places where they don't have write
> > permission.
> >
> > Duncan Murdoch
> >

> >> Christian

> >> install RMySQL by getting the message: "installation of package
> >> â??RMySQLâ?? had non-zero exit status"
> >> part (version, etc) to all the paths that need to be created and so on.

> >>     [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: RMySQL with Windows 7

Gabor Grothendieck
On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 2:52 PM, Duncan Murdoch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/02/2014 1:39 PM, Christian Oswald wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> how can I install it on a wrong place?
>>
>>   "install.packages("RMySQL",type=source) don't work correct?
>

> Many Windows users have R installed in "c:\Program Files", and normal users
> are not allowed to write there.  The .libPaths() function will tell you what
> libraries you are using; R will try to install to the first of those.

If I can just add, what was meant above is that some windows users
have put their **library** of addon packages in the C:\Program Files
tree and as stated that is not a good idea.  As far as RMySQL goes its
ok if R itself is in the C:\Program Files tree.  I have R in the
C:\Program Files tree on my machines and also run RMySQL but I don't
have my library there.

Re: RMySQL with Windows 7

Christian Oswald-4
I understand, but in my case the R-Library is in my user-folder.
But I have investigate the files needed by RMySQL and found that the gcc
searchs for libmysql.lib in MYSQL_HOME\lib\opt but it is only in lib.
Copying it in lib/opt solved the problem.

Thanks,
Christian

Am 06.02.2014 14:52, schrieb Duncan Murdoch:

> On 06/02/2014 1:39 PM, Christian Oswald wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> how can I install it on a wrong place?
>>
>>   "install.packages("RMySQL",type=source) don't work correct?
>
> Many Windows users have R installed in "c:\Program Files", and normal
> users are not allowed to write there.  The .libPaths() function will
> tell you what libraries you are using; R will try to install to the
> first of those.
>
> Duncan Murdoch
>>
>> Christian

>> well
>> >
>> > RMySQL works fine for me in Windows.
>> >
>> > The most common problem people have installing packages in Windows is
>> > that they try to install them to places where they don't have write
>> > permission.
>> >
>> > Duncan Murdoch

>> so on.

Re: RMySQL with Windows 7

Gabor Grothendieck
On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 3:52 PM, Christian Oswald
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I understand, but in my case the R-Library is in my user-folder.
> But I have investigate the files needed by RMySQL and found that the gcc
> searchs for libmysql.lib in MYSQL_HOME\lib\opt but it is only in lib.
> Copying it in lib/opt solved the problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Christian

In my MySQL installation (MySQL 5.6) there is no opt directory at all.

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.
email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com

Re: RMySQL with Windows 7

Christian Oswald-4
I have the 5.5 Server but in the opt directory are only two files
libmysql.dll and libmysql.lib

Christian