Rd2pdf and Rd2dvi don't find texi2dvi

Tobias Erhardt
Hello everybody

I'm am trying to build a pdf out of the Rd files that i wrote for a package, so that I can attach it to my thesis.

if i Run Rd2pdf (or Rd2dvi) I get this error massage:

Hmm ... looks like a package
Converting Rd files to LaTeX .
Creating pdf output from LaTeX ...
Error in texi2dvi("Rd2.tex", pdf = (out_ext == "pdf"), quiet = FALSE,  :
  Running 'texi2dvi' on 'Rd2.tex' failed.
Output:
You don't have a working TeX binary (tex) installed anywhere in
your PATH, and texi2dvi cannot proceed without one.  If you want to use
this script, you'll need to install TeX (if you don't have it) or change
your PATH or TEX environment variable (if you do).  See the --help
output for more details.

For information about obtaining TeX, please see http://www.tug.org.  If
you happen to be using Debian, you can get it with this command:
  apt-get install tetex-bin
Error in running tools::texi2dvi

The problem is, that i have a valid Tex installation and I am able to call texi2dvi in the shell, as it is in my path.

In R getOption("texi2dvi") gives me the correct path to texi2dvi "/usr/bin/texi2dvi"

I am running R2.12.2 on MacOSX 10.6.7 and have TexLive 2010 installed

Thanks for your help

best regard
Tobias

Re: Rd2pdf and Rd2dvi don't find texi2dvi

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 25/03/2011 4:23 AM, Tobias Erhardt wrote:

> Hello everybody
>
> I'm am trying to build a pdf out of the Rd files that i wrote for a package, so that I can attach it to my thesis.
>
> if i Run Rd2pdf (or Rd2dvi) I get this error massage:
>
> Hmm ... looks like a package
> Converting Rd files to LaTeX .
> Creating pdf output from LaTeX ...
> Error in texi2dvi("Rd2.tex", pdf = (out_ext == "pdf"), quiet = FALSE,  :
>    Running 'texi2dvi' on 'Rd2.tex' failed.
> Output:
> You don't have a working TeX binary (tex) installed anywhere in
> your PATH, and texi2dvi cannot proceed without one.  If you want to use
> this script, you'll need to install TeX (if you don't have it) or change
> your PATH or TEX environment variable (if you do).  See the --help
> output for more details.
>
> For information about obtaining TeX, please see http://www.tug.org.  If
> you happen to be using Debian, you can get it with this command:
>    apt-get install tetex-bin
> Error in running tools::texi2dvi
>
> The problem is, that i have a valid Tex installation and I am able to call texi2dvi in the shell, as it is in my path.
>
> In R getOption("texi2dvi") gives me the correct path to texi2dvi "/usr/bin/texi2dvi"
>
> I am running R2.12.2 on MacOSX 10.6.7 and have TexLive 2010 installed

That message is coming from texi2dvi (the system command), not from R.
So you might want to investigate why texi2dvi as invoked from R is
different than texi2dvi as invoked from your shell.  I'd try

system("texi2dvi --version")

in R and compare the result to what you get outside, examine the
environment variables PATH and TEX in both places (with
Sys.getenv(c("PATH", "TEX")) in R) to look for differences, etc.

Re: Rd2pdf and Rd2dvi don't find texi2dvi

Tobias Erhardt
Okay, i did compare  the versions of texi2dvi within R and the shell, they are both the same.

Regarding the environmental variabels, this is what printenv gave me:

TERM_PROGRAM=iTerm.app
TERM=xterm
SHELL=/bin/bash
TMPDIR=/var/folders/3B/3BhLCRj+FISLJAbkj65bUU+++TI/-Tmp-/
Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render=/tmp/launch-N5Bzur/Render
COMMAND_MODE=unix2003
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/launch-p1c1Db/Listeners
__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:3
PATH=/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin:/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin:/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/:/Applications/GMT//bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/opt/local/bin:/usr/local/git/bin
PWD=/usr/bin
EDITOR=mate -w
NETCDFHOME=/usr/local/
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
SHLVL=1
COLORFGBG=0;15
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
DISPLAY=/tmp/launch-VKiS22/org.x:0
_=/usr/bin/printenv

and this is what Sys.getenv(c("PATH", "TEX")) gave me:

PATH
"/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/opt/local/bin:/usr/local/git/bin:/usr/local/bin"
TEX
""

I dont't really know my way around system variables but i hope that this helps.

I'm open for any suggestions

Re: Rd2pdf and Rd2dvi don't find texi2dvi

kryberg
Did you every find a resolution to this?  I have the exact same problem and have had no success solving it.  I'd like to know your solution if you found one.

In R
system("texi2dvi --version")
texi2dvi (GNU Texinfo 4.8) 1.34

There is NO warranty.  You may redistribute this software
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the files named COPYING.

At the command prompt

% texi2dvi --version
texi2dvi (GNU Texinfo 4.8) 1.34

There is NO warranty.  You may redistribute this software
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the files named COPYING.

I can use Sweave and create LaTeX documents outside of R.  But R CMD chekc pkgname gives me

Re-running with no redirection of stdout/stderr.
Hmm ... looks like a package
Error in texi2dvi("Rd2.tex", pdf = (out_ext == "pdf"), quiet = FALSE,  :
  pdflatex is not available
Error in running tools::texi2dvi
You may want to clean up by 'rm -rf /var/folders/We/Wevm0EqRHPC3qT+IfM76U+eiwUY/-Tmp-//RtmpuP3CAs/Rd2pdf626fdc61'

texi2dvi is in my PATH at /usr/bin/texi2dvi

R version 2.13.1 (2011-07-08)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0/x86_64 (64-bit)
Mac OS X version 10.6.8