Re: Demo for linking native routines between R packages

Re: Demo for linking native routines between R packages

Jitao David Zhang
Dear Davis, Dirk, Jan, and r-devel subscribers,

I hope you have had a good start in the new year.

For your information: I have updated the GitHub repository to demonstrate
linking native routines between R packages (
https://github.com/Accio/demo-linking-native), especially by listing the
prior art and the project by Davis to give the readers more background and
history of the topic. And I took the liberty to acknowledge your
contribution, criticism and help to improve this baby project.

In any case, I wish there is a link from WRE to a small demo (not
necessarily mine!) where linking native routine is implemented in a
minimalistic example for teaching and demonstration purposes. That will
help people a lot in my opinion.

Best regards,
David

--
Jitao David Zhang

http://jdzhang.me/
[hidden email]

Schützengasse 20
4125 Riehen, Switzerland

Re: Demo for linking native routines between R packages

Joshua Ulrich
Hi David,

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 4:00 AM Jitao David Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Davis, Dirk, Jan, and r-devel subscribers,
>
> I hope you have had a good start in the new year.
>
> For your information: I have updated the GitHub repository to demonstrate
> linking native routines between R packages (
> https://github.com/Accio/demo-linking-native), especially by listing the
> prior art and the project by Davis to give the readers more background and
> history of the topic. And I took the liberty to acknowledge your
> contribution, criticism and help to improve this baby project.
>
> In any case, I wish there is a link from WRE to a small demo (not
> necessarily mine!) where linking native routine is implemented in a
> minimalistic example for teaching and demonstration purposes. That will
> help people a lot in my opinion.

R-core will probably be reluctant to link to an external example they
have very little control over. For example, what if the process
changes and the external source doesn't get updated?

That said, WRE does list two packages that register native routines
from other packages:
https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-exts.html#Linking-to-native-routines-in-other-packages

I'd be open to including a vignette in xts that discusses the process
of linking to zoo. That would have the benefit of needing to be
updated if the process changes. We can discuss off-list if you're
interested in collaborating on it.

> Best regards,
> David
>
> --
> Jitao David Zhang
>
> http://jdzhang.me/
> [hidden email]
>
> Schützengasse 20
> 4125 Riehen, Switzerland

Joshua Ulrich  |  about.me/joshuaulrich
FOSS Trading  |  www.fosstrading.com

Re: Demo for linking native routines between R packages

Gábor Csárdi
On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 4:45 PM Joshua Ulrich <[hidden email]>
wrote:
[...]

> That said, WRE does list two packages that register native routines
> from other packages:
>
> https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-exts.html#Linking-to-native-routines-in-other-packages

There are a bunch more, see here:
https://github.com/search?q=org%3Acran+R_RegisterCCallable&type=code