Re: R 3.6.2 is released

Rich Shepard
On Thu, 12 Dec 2019, Peter Dalgaard via R-help wrote:

> The build system rolled up R-3.6.2.tar.gz (codename "Dark and Stormy
> Night") this morning.

Peter,

My thanks to all of you on the R core team.

Regards,

Rich

Re: R 3.6.2 is released

Spencer Graves-4
Ditto.  Spencer Graves

On 2019-12-12 07:54, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Dec 2019, Peter Dalgaard via R-help wrote:
>
>> The build system rolled up R-3.6.2.tar.gz (codename "Dark and Stormy
>> Night") this morning.
>
> Peter,
>
> My thanks to all of you on the R core team.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rich

Re: R 3.6.2 is released

Hasan Diwan-2
Congrats on the release! -- H

On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 at 06:20, Spencer Graves <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ditto.  Spencer Graves
>

> On 2019-12-12 07:54, Rich Shepard wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Dec 2019, Peter Dalgaard via R-help wrote:
> >
> >> The build system rolled up R-3.6.2.tar.gz (codename "Dark and Stormy
> >> Night") this morning.
> >
> > Peter,
> >
> > My thanks to all of you on the R core team.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Rich

If you wish to request my time, please do so using
*bit.ly/hd1AppointmentRequest
<http://bit.ly/hd1AppointmentRequest>*.
Si vous voudrais faire connnaisance, allez a *bit.ly/hd1AppointmentRequest
<http://bit.ly/hd1AppointmentRequest>*.

<https://sks-keyservers.net/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFEBAD7FFD041BBA1>Sent
from my mobile device
Envoye de mon portable

Errors in R package installation

dkStevens
Certain R packages will not install properly on my Windows 10 computer. For example, if I

install.packages('callr')

The result is

trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/src/contrib/callr_3.4.0.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 100129 bytes (97 KB)
downloaded 97 KB

Warning: invalid package 'C:\Users\David'
Warning: invalid package 'Stevens\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmpk5NqrI/downloaded_packages/callr_3.4.0.tar.gz'
Error: ERROR: no packages specified
Warning in install.packages :
  installation of package �callr� had non-zero exit status

The downloaded source packages are in
        �C:\Users\David Stevens\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmpk5NqrI\downloaded_packages�

both using RStudio 1.2.5019 and the Rgui.exe 3.6.2. I look in the download folder and the callr_3.4.0.tar.gz is there but the installer can't find it. This happens on only a subset of packages I install or update. I assume the cause is the space in my name in the c:\users folder. I've been unable to locate the environment variable or registry value that routes the tar.gz files to this location. Any ideas on how to fix this? This is a relatively recent issue (i.e. I never saw it before November - I've used R for ~15 years).

Best regards

David Stevens

Re: Errors in R package installation

Eric Berger
Apparently it does not like that the fact that your user 'David
Stevens' has a blank.
Looking at the documentation ?install.packages
it seems that if you modify your call to something like

install.packages('callr',destdir='C:\tmp')

you might be ok. (caveat: I did not try this)

You should make the directory C:\tmp (or whatever you use instead)
before you issue this call.

HTH,
Eric

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 5:48 PM David Stevens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Certain R packages will not install properly on my Windows 10 computer. For example, if I
>
> install.packages('callr')
>
> The result is
>
> trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/src/contrib/callr_3.4.0.tar.gz'
> Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 100129 bytes (97 KB)
> downloaded 97 KB
>
> Warning: invalid package 'C:\Users\David'
> Warning: invalid package 'Stevens\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmpk5NqrI/downloaded_packages/callr_3.4.0.tar.gz'
> Error: ERROR: no packages specified
> Warning in install.packages :
>   installation of package ‘callr’ had non-zero exit status
>
> The downloaded source packages are in
>         ‘C:\Users\David Stevens\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmpk5NqrI\downloaded_packages’
>
> both using RStudio 1.2.5019 and the Rgui.exe 3.6.2. I look in the download folder and the callr_3.4.0.tar.gz is there but the installer can't find it. This happens on only a subset of packages I install or update. I assume the cause is the space in my name in the c:\users folder. I've been unable to locate the environment variable or registry value that routes the tar.gz files to this location. Any ideas on how to fix this? This is a relatively recent issue (i.e. I never saw it before November - I've used R for ~15 years).
>
> Best regards
>
> David Stevens

Re: Errors in R package installation

dkStevens
Thanks Eric - I had tried this and failed with

install.packages('callr',destdir='c:/myRLib')
Installing package into ‘C:/myRLib’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)

  There is a binary version available but the source version is
  later:
      binary source needs_compilation
callr  3.3.2  3.4.0             FALSE

installing the source package ‘callr’

trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/src/contrib/callr_3.4.0.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 100129 bytes (97 KB)
downloaded 97 KB

* installing *source* package 'callr' ...
** package 'callr' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
** using staged installation
** R
** inst
** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
Fatal error: cannot open file 'C:\Users\David': No such file or directory

ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'callr'
* removing 'C:/myRLib/callr'
Warning in install.packages :
  installation of package ‘callr’ had non-zero exit status

I also tried

install.packages('callr',lib='c:/myRLib',destdir='c:/myRLib')

with the same result. There's something more here that I'm unable to discover.

Best
David

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 5:48 PM David Stevens <[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

David K Stevens, PhD, PE
Environmental Engineering Division
Civil and Environmental Engineering
Utah State University
8200 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 83200-8200
(435) 797-3229
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Errors in R package installation

Eric Berger
Actually there was progress as after it failed it removed the folder
c:/myRlib/callr, which means it had used it. Seems good.
I think you might find the discussion here to be relevant

https://community.rstudio.com/t/cant-install-package-remotes-when-trying-to-install-devtools/34121

Good luck,
Eric

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 6:08 PM David Stevens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> Error: ERROR: no packages specified
> Warning in install.packages :
>   installation of package ‘callr’ had non-zero exit status
>
> The downloaded source packages are in
>         ‘C:\Users\David Stevens\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmpk5NqrI\downloaded_packages’
>
> both using RStudio 1.2.5019 and the Rgui.exe 3.6.2. I look in the download folder and the callr_3.4.0.tar.gz is there but the installer can't find it. This happens on only a subset of packages I install or update. I assume the cause is the space in my name in the c:\users folder. I've been unable to locate the environment variable or registry value that routes the tar.gz files to this location. Any ideas on how to fix this? This is a relatively recent issue (i.e. I never saw it before November - I've used R for ~15 years).

Thanks Eric - I'll follow up with this link. I'd tried some of these
things before but I'll keep after it.

Best

David

On 12/12/2019 9:52 AM, Eric Berger wrote:

> [...]
>> Error: ERROR: no packages specified
>> Warning in install.packages :
>>    installation of package ‘callr’ had non-zero exit status
>>
>> The downloaded source packages are in
>>          ‘C:\Users\David Stevens\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmpk5NqrI\downloaded_packages’
>>
>> both using RStudio 1.2.5019 and the Rgui.exe 3.6.2. I look in the download folder and the callr_3.4.0.tar.gz is there but the installer can't find it. This happens on only a subset of packages I install or update. I assume the cause is the space in my name in the c:\users folder. I've been unable to locate the environment variable or registry value that routes the tar.gz files to this location. Any ideas on how to fix this? This is a relatively recent issue (i.e. I never saw it before November - I've used R for ~15 years).

Richard M. Heiberger
Directory and file names with embedded blanks frequently don't work on
WIndows.  Use the 8.3 version of the name.
Since you were able to get the package onto your machine, you can
install it from there.

The downloaded source packages are in
        ‘C:\Users\David
Stevens\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmpk5NqrI\downloaded_packages’

In the windows shell

cd c:\Users
dir /x David*

It will tell you something like
DavidS~1

Then in R you can write

install.packages("c:/Users/DavidS~1/AppData/Local/Temp/Rtmpk5NqrI/downloaded_packages/callr_3.4-0.tar.gz")

Make sure you use the correct full name of the downloaded source package.

Rich

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 12:03 PM David Stevens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> Error: ERROR: no packages specified
> >> Warning in install.packages :
> >>    installation of package ‘callr’ had non-zero exit status
> >>
> >> The downloaded source packages are in
> >>          ‘C:\Users\David Stevens\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmpk5NqrI\downloaded_packages’
> >>
> >> both using RStudio 1.2.5019 and the Rgui.exe 3.6.2. I look in the download folder and the callr_3.4.0.tar.gz is there but the installer can't find it. This happens on only a subset of packages I install or update. I assume the cause is the space in my name in the c:\users folder. I've been unable to locate the environment variable or registry value that routes the tar.gz files to this location. Any ideas on how to fix this? This is a relatively recent issue (i.e. I never saw it before November - I've used R for ~15 years).

And a low-tech approach: how about renaming "C:\Users\David Stevens"
to "C:\Users\DavidStevens" (i.e. remove the blank in the name).
A few years ago I did the equivalent "C:\Program Files" -->
"C:\ProgramFiles" to avoid similar installation problems.

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 9:06 PM Richard M. Heiberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Directory and file names with embedded blanks frequently don't work on
> WIndows.  Use the 8.3 version of the name.
> Since you were able to get the package onto your machine, you can
> install it from there.
>
> The downloaded source packages are in
>         ‘C:\Users\David
> Stevens\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmpk5NqrI\downloaded_packages’
>
> In the windows shell
>
> cd c:\Users
> dir /x David*
>
> It will tell you something like
> DavidS~1
>
> Then in R you can write
>
> install.packages("c:/Users/DavidS~1/AppData/Local/Temp/Rtmpk5NqrI/downloaded_packages/callr_3.4-0.tar.gz")
>
> Make sure you use the correct full name of the downloaded source package.
>
> Rich
>
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 12:03 PM David Stevens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Eric - I'll follow up with this link. I'd tried some of these
> > things before but I'll keep after it.
> >
> > Best
> >
> > David
> >
> > On 12/12/2019 9:52 AM, Eric Berger wrote:
> > > Actually there was progress as after it failed it removed the folder
> > > c:/myRlib/callr, which means it had used it. Seems good.
> > > I think you might find the discussion here to be relevant
> > >
> > > https://community.rstudio.com/t/cant-install-package-remotes-when-trying-to-install-devtools/34121
> > >
> > > Good luck,
> > > Eric

> > --
> > David K Stevens, PhD, PE
> > Environmental Engineering Division
> > Civil and Environmental Engineering
> > Utah State University
> > 8200 Old Main Hill
> > Logan, UT 83200-8200
> > (435) 797-3229
> > [hidden email]

Re: Errors in R package installation

Ivan Krylov
On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 15:48:13 +0000
David Stevens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Certain R packages will not install properly on my Windows 10
> computer.

Certain, but not all? Which packages are you able to install on that
computer?

> Warning: invalid package 'C:\Users\David'
> Warning: invalid package
> 'Stevens\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmpk5NqrI/downloaded_packages/callr_3.4.0.tar.gz'

This looks like a command line argument quoting issue.

I wonder why doesn't install.packages use shQuote to quote the file
name when calling system2(c("R", "CMD", "INSTALL", file)) to install a
downloaded source package:

https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/e554f7f12b22868bdae51aadaeea4d56c9f87a32/src/library/utils/R/packages2.R#L833

Maybe there should be shQuote(fil) instead, especially since R does
quote the file name when installing from local source tarballs:

https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/e554f7f12b22868bdae51aadaeea4d56c9f87a32/src/library/utils/R/packages2.R#L676

> This happens on only a subset of packages I install or update.

I have a hypothesis: perhaps this only happens for packages with no
pre-built Windows binary available yet, since "win.binary" packages may
be installed by unpacking a zip file, without calling a command line
with potential space quoting issues:

https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/e554f7f12b22868bdae51aadaeea4d56c9f87a32/src/library/utils/R/packages2.R#L491
->
https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/e554f7f12b22868bdae51aadaeea4d56c9f87a32/src/library/utils/R/windows/install.packages.R#L263

Calling install.packages(..., verbose = TRUE) for both a succeeding and
a failing package might help to verify whether this is the case.

> This is a relatively recent issue (i.e. I never saw it before
> November - I've used R for ~15 years).

Just to confirm it: you had no problems on the same Windows 10 computer
with the same user name and %USERPROFILE% path as before? Apparently,
tempdir() used to return a 8.3 directory path on your computer, but now
doesn't - but that should not happen, since R_reInitTempDir()
explicitly asks for a 8.3 path:

https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/e554f7f12b22868bdae51aadaeea4d56c9f87a32/src/main/sysutils.c#L1810

Microsoft Docs page for GetShortPathName() says:

>> If you call GetShortPathName on a path that doesn't have any short
>> names on-disk, the call will succeed, but will return the long-name
>> path instead. This outcome is also possible with NTFS volumes
>> because there's no guarantee that a short name will exist for a
>> given long name.

Some newer Windows 10 installations may have
NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation enabled, thus preventing R from getting a
8.3 path to the temp directory.

I am taking the liberty of Cc-ing R-devel because this might warrant
adding a shQuote() call to install.packages().

--
Best regards,
Ivan

Re: Errors in R package installation

dkStevens
Ivan - thanks for looking into this. My answers to your comments are below.

Cheers

David

On 12/13/2019 1:46 AM, Ivan Krylov wrote:

On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 15:48:13 +0000
David Stevens <[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]> wrote:

Certain R packages will not install properly on my Windows 10
computer.

Certain, but not all? Which packages are you able to install on that
computer?

Too many to name - one is nlstools. Another is tinytex.  I updated many package after bookdown wouldn't install for the same reasons. Out of a list of ~20 packages to install, ~5 failed with a similar error message.  That sent me down the rabbit hole that brought me here.

[...]

I read a thread elsewhere that said a work around is to run options(pkgType='binary') before installation and the problem went away. Does this help.

https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/e554f7f12b22868bdae51aadaeea4d56c9f87a32/src/library/utils/R/packages2.R#L491
->
https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/e554f7f12b22868bdae51aadaeea4d56c9f87a32/src/library/utils/R/windows/install.packages.R#L263

Calling install.packages(..., verbose = TRUE) for both a succeeding and
a failing package might help to verify whether this is the case.

This is a relatively recent issue (i.e. I never saw it before
November - I've used R for ~15 years).

Just to confirm it: you had no problems on the same Windows 10 computer
with the same user name and %USERPROFILE% path as before?

Yes, this is the case. I do the regular Windows 10 updates and update R and RStudio as soon as I am aware there's a new version out. I haven't explicitly change %USERPROFILE%.

Apparently,
tempdir() used to return a 8.3 directory path on your computer, but now
doesn't - but that should not happen, since R_reInitTempDir()
explicitly asks for a 8.3 path:

tempdir() gives

tempdir()
[1] "C:\\Users\\David Stevens\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\RtmpQpqh0t"

[...]

Here's a longer list. RStudio checked for what needs updating, I select all of them, and enter. The following is the console output (FYI - I tried this in plain Rgui.exe and got the same result - I don't think it's an RStudio issue). The failed installs are toward the bottom.

Best

David

> install.packages(c("callr", "cli", "data.table", "english", "exactRankTests", "glmnet", "leafpop", "lmerTest", "multcomp", "plyr", "quantreg", "R.utils", "renv", "RgoogleMaps", "rmarkdown", "satellite", "SparseM", "tinytex"), lib = "C:/Users/David Stevens/Documents/R/win-library/3.6")

  There are binary versions available but the source versions are
  later:
          binary source needs_compilation
lmerTest   3.1-0  3.1-1             FALSE
quantreg    5.52   5.54              TRUE
rmarkdown   1.18    2.0             FALSE
SparseM     1.77   1.78              TRUE

trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.6/callr_3.4.0.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 356928 bytes (348 KB)
downloaded 348 KB

trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.6/cli_2.0.0.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 392358 bytes (383 KB)
downloaded 383 KB

trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.6/data.table_1.12.8.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 2277502 bytes (2.2 MB)
downloaded 2.2 MB

trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.6/english_1.2-4.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 134736 bytes (131 KB)
downloaded 131 KB

trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.6/exactRankTests_0.8-31.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 168031 bytes (164 KB)
downloaded 164 KB

trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.6/glmnet_3.0-2.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 1823093 bytes (1.7 MB)
downloaded 1.7 MB

trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.6/leafpop_0.0.5.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 1910754 bytes (1.8 MB)
downloaded 1.8 MB

trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.6/multcomp_1.4-11.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 730724 bytes (713 KB)
downloaded 713 KB

trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.6/plyr_1.8.5.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 1306165 bytes (1.2 MB)
downloaded 1.2 MB

trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.6/R.utils_2.9.2.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 1411713 bytes (1.3 MB)
downloaded 1.3 MB

trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.6/renv_0.9.2.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 820084 bytes (800 KB)
downloaded 800 KB

trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.6/RgoogleMaps_1.4.5.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 479429 bytes (468 KB)
downloaded 468 KB

trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.6/satellite_1.0.2.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 3227758 bytes (3.1 MB)
downloaded 3.1 MB

trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/3.6/tinytex_0.18.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 101040 bytes (98 KB)
downloaded 98 KB

package ‘callr’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
package ‘cli’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
package ‘data.table’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
Warning in install.packages :
  cannot remove prior installation of package ‘data.table’
Warning in install.packages :
  problem copying C:\Users\David Stevens\Documents\R\win-library\3.6\00LOCK\data.table\libs\x64\datatable.dll to C:\Users\David Stevens\Documents\R\win-library\3.6\data.table\libs\x64\datatable.dll: Permission denied
Warning in install.packages :
  restored ‘data.table’
package ‘english’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
package ‘exactRankTests’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
package ‘glmnet’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
package ‘leafpop’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
package ‘multcomp’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
package ‘plyr’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
package ‘R.utils’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
package ‘renv’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
package ‘RgoogleMaps’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
package ‘satellite’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
package ‘tinytex’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

The downloaded binary packages are in
        C:\Users\David Stevens\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpkLEdno\downloaded_packages
installing the source packages ‘lmerTest’, ‘quantreg’, ‘rmarkdown’, ‘SparseM’

trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/src/contrib/lmerTest_3.1-1.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 194447 bytes (189 KB)
downloaded 189 KB

trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/src/contrib/quantreg_5.54.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 995368 bytes (972 KB)
downloaded 972 KB

trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/src/contrib/rmarkdown_2.0.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 3186667 bytes (3.0 MB)
downloaded 3.0 MB

trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/src/contrib/SparseM_1.78.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 735024 bytes (717 KB)
downloaded 717 KB

Warning: invalid package 'C:\Users\David'
Warning: invalid package 'Stevens\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpkLEdno/downloaded_packages/lmerTest_3.1-1.tar.gz'
Error: ERROR: no packages specified
Warning in install.packages :
  installation of package ‘lmerTest’ had non-zero exit status
Warning: invalid package 'C:\Users\David'
Warning: invalid package 'Stevens\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpkLEdno/downloaded_packages/rmarkdown_2.0.tar.gz'
Error: ERROR: no packages specified
Warning in install.packages :
  installation of package ‘rmarkdown’ had non-zero exit status
Warning: invalid package 'C:\Users\David'
Warning: invalid package 'Stevens\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpkLEdno/downloaded_packages/SparseM_1.78.tar.gz'
Error: ERROR: no packages specified
Warning in install.packages :
  installation of package ‘SparseM’ had non-zero exit status
Warning: invalid package 'C:\Users\David'
Warning: invalid package 'Stevens\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpkLEdno/downloaded_packages/quantreg_5.54.tar.gz'
Error: ERROR: no packages specified
Warning in install.packages :
  installation of package ‘quantreg’ had non-zero exit status

[...]

On Fri, 13 Dec 2019 13:19:54 +0000
David Stevens <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   There are binary versions available but the source versions are
>   later:

Okay, that would be the reason why would R on Windows try to install a
source package instead of a binary package. One can also see that callr
has just been successfully installed from a binary package (that took
time to be built from a freshly updated source package and was
unavailable yesterday) -- but now there are other updated packages that
cannot be installed.

On Fri, 13 Dec 2019 13:14:28 +0000
David Stevens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I read a thread elsewhere that said a work around is to run
> options(pkgType='binary') before installation and the problem went
> away. Does this help.

Yes, this again points us at the differences between installing source
packages and "win.binary" packages.

> Yes, this is the case. I do the regular Windows 10 updates and update
> R and RStudio as soon as I am aware there's a new version out. I
> haven't explicitly change %USERPROFILE%.

Since new packages are published all the time, it is likely that your R
installation was able to install source packages successfully, until
recently.

> tempdir() gives
>
> tempdir()
> [1] "C:\\Users\\David Stevens\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\RtmpQpqh0t"

Yes, this is a problem.

file.path(tempdir(), "downloaded_packages") is passed to
download.packages() and used to store the downloaded files. Eventually,
download.packages() returns destination file paths (which now contain
spaces), which are then passed to what amounts to:

system2(
 command = file.path(R.home("bin"), "R"),
 args = c("CMD", "INSTALL", path), ...
)

system2() uses paste(c(env, shQuote(command), args), collapse = " ") to
form a command line and eventually passes that command line to
CreateProcess(). The path value is left unquoted, causing the error
observed above.

I believe that this is a bug in install.packages() and that the
`fil` argument in [*] should be quoted using shQuote() just like it is
quoted in all other invocations of R CMD INSTALL in the same file.

A workaround that should have worked but didn't was to pass a writeable
path without spaces as a destdir = ... argument to install.packages().
I am not sure why did install.packages() decide to use C:/myRLib as the
library instead of a temp directory to download files in (we just need
a temp directory, not a separate library). Try the following again in a
clean session?

install.packages(
 c('lmerTest', 'quantreg', 'rmarkdown', 'SparseM'),
 lib = .libPaths()[1L],
 destdir = 'c:/myRLib'
)

--
Best regards,
Ivan

[*]
https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/e554f7f12b22868bdae51aadaeea4d56c9f87a32/src/library/utils/R/packages2.R#L839

Re: Errors in R package installation

dkStevens
I started a new session and entered

> rm(list=ls())
> install.packages(
+  c('lmerTest', 'quantreg', 'rmarkdown', 'SparseM'),
+  lib = .libPaths()[1L],
+  destdir = 'c:/myRLib'
+ )

And this is the result:

[...]

* installing *source* package 'lmerTest' ...
** package 'lmerTest' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
** using staged installation
** R
** data
*** moving datasets to lazyload DB
** inst
** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
Fatal error: cannot open file 'C:\Users\David': No such file or directory

ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'lmerTest'
* removing 'C:/myRLib/lmerTest'
Warning in install.packages :
  installation of package ‘lmerTest’ had non-zero exit status
* installing *source* package 'rmarkdown' ...
** package 'rmarkdown' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
** using staged installation
** R
** inst
** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
Fatal error: cannot open file 'C:\Users\David': No such file or directory

ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'rmarkdown'
* removing 'C:/myRLib/rmarkdown'
Warning in install.packages :
  installation of package ‘rmarkdown’ had non-zero exit status
* installing *source* package 'SparseM' ...
** package 'SparseM' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
** using staged installation
** libs

*** arch - i386
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c bckslv.f -o bckslv.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c chol.f -o chol.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c chol2csr.f -o chol2csr.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c cholesky.f -o cholesky.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c csr.f -o csr.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c extract.f -o extract.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gcc  -I"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-3.6.2/include" -DNDEBUG          -O3 -Wall  -std=gnu99 -mtune=generic -c init.c -o init.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c sparskit.f -o sparskit.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c subscr.f -o subscr.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gcc -shared -s -static-libgcc -o SparseM.dll tmp.def bckslv.o chol.o chol2csr.o cholesky.o csr.o extract.o init.o sparskit.o subscr.o -lgfortran -lm -lquadmath -LC:/PROGRA~1/R/R-3.6.2/bin/i386 -lR
installing to C:/myRLib/00LOCK-SparseM/00new/SparseM/libs/i386

*** arch - x64
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c bckslv.f -o bckslv.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c chol.f -o chol.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c chol2csr.f -o chol2csr.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c cholesky.f -o cholesky.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c csr.f -o csr.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c extract.f -o extract.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gcc  -I"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-3.6.2/include" -DNDEBUG          -O2 -Wall  -std=gnu99 -mtune=generic -c init.c -o init.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c sparskit.f -o sparskit.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c subscr.f -o subscr.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gcc -shared -s -static-libgcc -o SparseM.dll tmp.def bckslv.o chol.o chol2csr.o cholesky.o csr.o extract.o init.o sparskit.o subscr.o -lgfortran -lm -lquadmath -LC:/PROGRA~1/R/R-3.6.2/bin/x64 -lR
installing to C:/myRLib/00LOCK-SparseM/00new/SparseM/libs/x64
** R
** data
** demo
** inst
** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
Fatal error: cannot open file 'C:\Users\David': No such file or directory

ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'SparseM'
* removing 'C:/myRLib/SparseM'
Warning in install.packages :
  installation of package ‘SparseM’ had non-zero exit status
* installing *source* package 'quantreg' ...
** package 'quantreg' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
** using staged installation
** libs

*** arch - i386
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c boot.f -o boot.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c bound.f -o bound.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c boundc.f -o boundc.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c brute.f -o brute.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c chlfct.f -o chlfct.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c cholesky.f -o cholesky.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c combos.f -o combos.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c crqf.f -o crqf.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c crqfnb.f -o crqfnb.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c dsel05.f -o dsel05.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c etime.f -o etime.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c extract.f -o extract.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c idmin.f -o idmin.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c iswap.f -o iswap.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c kuantiles.f -o kuantiles.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c linpack.f -o linpack.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gcc  -I"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-3.6.2/include" -DNDEBUG          -O3 -Wall  -std=gnu99 -mtune=generic -c mcmb.c -o mcmb.o
mcmb.c: In function 'func':
mcmb.c:176:32: warning: variable 'large' set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
   double taustar, pwtsum, ans, large;
                                ^
mcmb.c:175:16: warning: variable 'mm' set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
   unsigned int mm;
                ^
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c penalty.f -o penalty.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c powell.f -o powell.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gcc  -I"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-3.6.2/include" -DNDEBUG          -O3 -Wall  -std=gnu99 -mtune=generic -c quantreg_init.c -o quantreg_init.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c rls.f -o rls.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c rq0.f -o rq0.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c rq1.f -o rq1.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c rqbr.f -o rqbr.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c rqfn.f -o rqfn.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c rqfnb.f -o rqfnb.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c rqfnc.f -o rqfnc.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c rqs.f -o rqs.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c sakj.f -o sakj.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c sparskit2.f -o sparskit2.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c srqfn.f -o srqfn.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c srqfnc.f -o srqfnc.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gfortran      -O3  -mtune=generic -c srtpai.f -o srtpai.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_32/bin/gcc -shared -s -static-libgcc -o quantreg.dll tmp.def boot.o bound.o boundc.o brute.o chlfct.o cholesky.o combos.o crqf.o crqfnb.o dsel05.o etime.o extract.o idmin.o iswap.o kuantiles.o linpack.o mcmb.o penalty.o powell.o quantreg_init.o rls.o rq0.o rq1.o rqbr.o rqfn.o rqfnb.o rqfnc.o rqs.o sakj.o sparskit2.o srqfn.o srqfnc.o srtpai.o -LC:/PROGRA~1/R/R-3.6.2/bin/i386 -lRlapack -LC:/PROGRA~1/R/R-3.6.2/bin/i386 -lRblas -lgfortran -lm -lquadmath -lgfortran -lm -lquadmath -LC:/PROGRA~1/R/R-3.6.2/bin/i386 -lR
installing to C:/myRLib/00LOCK-quantreg/00new/quantreg/libs/i386

*** arch - x64
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c boot.f -o boot.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c bound.f -o bound.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c boundc.f -o boundc.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c brute.f -o brute.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c chlfct.f -o chlfct.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c cholesky.f -o cholesky.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c combos.f -o combos.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c crqf.f -o crqf.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c crqfnb.f -o crqfnb.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c dsel05.f -o dsel05.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c etime.f -o etime.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c extract.f -o extract.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c idmin.f -o idmin.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c iswap.f -o iswap.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c kuantiles.f -o kuantiles.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c linpack.f -o linpack.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gcc  -I"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-3.6.2/include" -DNDEBUG          -O2 -Wall  -std=gnu99 -mtune=generic -c mcmb.c -o mcmb.o
mcmb.c: In function 'func':
mcmb.c:176:32: warning: variable 'large' set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
   double taustar, pwtsum, ans, large;
                                ^
mcmb.c:175:16: warning: variable 'mm' set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
   unsigned int mm;
                ^
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c penalty.f -o penalty.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c powell.f -o powell.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gcc  -I"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-3.6.2/include" -DNDEBUG          -O2 -Wall  -std=gnu99 -mtune=generic -c quantreg_init.c -o quantreg_init.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c rls.f -o rls.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c rq0.f -o rq0.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c rq1.f -o rq1.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c rqbr.f -o rqbr.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c rqfn.f -o rqfn.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c rqfnb.f -o rqfnb.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c rqfnc.f -o rqfnc.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c rqs.f -o rqs.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c sakj.f -o sakj.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c sparskit2.f -o sparskit2.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c srqfn.f -o srqfn.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c srqfnc.f -o srqfnc.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gfortran      -O2  -mtune=generic -c srtpai.f -o srtpai.o
C:/Rtools/mingw_64/bin/gcc -shared -s -static-libgcc -o quantreg.dll tmp.def boot.o bound.o boundc.o brute.o chlfct.o cholesky.o combos.o crqf.o crqfnb.o dsel05.o etime.o extract.o idmin.o iswap.o kuantiles.o linpack.o mcmb.o penalty.o powell.o quantreg_init.o rls.o rq0.o rq1.o rqbr.o rqfn.o rqfnb.o rqfnc.o rqs.o sakj.o sparskit2.o srqfn.o srqfnc.o srtpai.o -LC:/PROGRA~1/R/R-3.6.2/bin/x64 -lRlapack -LC:/PROGRA~1/R/R-3.6.2/bin/x64 -lRblas -lgfortran -lm -lquadmath -lgfortran -lm -lquadmath -LC:/PROGRA~1/R/R-3.6.2/bin/x64 -lR
installing to C:/myRLib/00LOCK-quantreg/00new/quantreg/libs/x64
** R
** data
** demo
** inst
** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
Fatal error: cannot open file 'C:\Users\David': No such file or directory

ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'quantreg'
* removing 'C:/myRLib/quantreg'

On 12/13/2019 7:12 AM, Ivan Krylov wrote:

install.packages(
 c('lmerTest', 'quantreg', 'rmarkdown', 'SparseM'),
 lib = .libPaths()[1L],
 destdir = 'c:/myRLib'
)

--
David K Stevens, PhD, PE
Environmental Engineering Division
Civil and Environmental Engineering
Utah State University
8200 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 83200-8200
(435) 797-3229
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Errors in R package installation

Ivan Krylov
On Fri, 13 Dec 2019 14:21:06 +0000
David Stevens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
> Fatal error: cannot open file 'C:\Users\David': No such file or
> directory
>
> ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'rmarkdown'

Oh. Sorry, that seems to be yet another place where R is not able to
handle temporary files with spaces in their paths.

What happens is:

1. R CMD INSTALL wants to run tools:::makeLazyLoading(...) in a
   sub-process.
2. An internal function creates a temporary file (using tempfile()),
   writes all the required commands inside it and tries to run Rterm.exe
   -f <path to the temporary file>.
3. That path is also unquoted and it also contains spaces because
   that's what GetShortPathName() returned to R.
4. C:\Users\David
   Stevens\AppData\Local\Temp\Rtmpblablabla/Rinblablablabla becomes two
   separate arguments to Rterm.exe -f.

Solution: use shQuote(Rin) in [*] instead of just Rin. I will try to

Workaround: try setting the TMPDIR environment variable to something
without spaces (for example, the same c:/myRLib) before launching R.
(Use Sys.getenv('TMPDIR') and tempdir() to verify that it's
working.) This should help us sidestep any remaining bugs related to
temp paths containing spaces.

--
Best regards,
Ivan