Re: R User Group listings

Prof J C Nash (U30A)
There are now several R geographic user groups, and a few have mailing
lists on the R mailing list system. Thanks to Martin M, there's also a
pointer to a page I'm maintaining to list/describe the groups. The page
is at

http://macnash.telfer.uottawa.ca/RUG.html

Contact me if you have a listing. I'm prepared to wikify it if there is
sufficient interest.

John Nash

Re: R User Group listings

Armin Goralczyk
On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Prof. John C Nash<[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are now several R geographic user groups, and a few have mailing lists
> on the R mailing list system. Thanks to Martin M, there's also a pointer to
> a page I'm maintaining to list/describe the groups. The page is at
>
> http://macnash.telfer.uottawa.ca/RUG.html
>

> Contact me if you have a listing. I'm prepared to wikify it if there is
> sufficient interest.
>
> John Nash

Does anybody know if there is an R geographic user group in germany?
(found none by ggogle search)

--
Armin Goralczyk

Re: R User Group listings

David M Smith
I've also been maintaining a list at:

http://blog.revolution-computing.com/local-r-groups.html

The most recent addition is the user group in Japan.

# David Smith

--
David M Smith <[hidden email]>
Director of Community, REvolution Computing www.revolution-computing.com

Check out our upcoming events schedule at www.revolution-computing.com/events

Re: R User Group listings

Prof J C Nash (U30A)

Further to my posting about R UG mailing lists etc., and David Smith's
post about the list he is maintaining (I was aware of his blog, but not
that he was updating -- good show), I'm in communication with him to try
to ensure we get appropriate information out to useRs.

Already there has been a posting asking if there is any group in
Germany, and asking is the first step to getting a group going. I
suspect we need to expand from just a listing to also include
"Desperately seeking R users..." entries. Will see what we can do.

JN

Re: R User Group listings

Friedrich Leisch

  > Further to my posting about R UG mailing lists etc., and David Smith's
  > post about the list he is maintaining (I was aware of his blog, but not
  > that he was updating -- good show), I'm in communication with him to try
  > to ensure we get appropriate information out to useRs.

  > Already there has been a posting asking if there is any group in
  > Germany, and asking is the first step to getting a group going. I
  > suspect we need to expand from just a listing to also include
  > "Desperately seeking R users..." entries. Will see what we can do.

I shortly talked with Jip Porzak about it at useR (because he
previously approached me with the question about having such a list on
the "official" R web pages). My personal opinion is that such a
listing really belongs into the R Wiki, such that user groups can add
themselves. Of course it would be great if somebody could act as an
editor and have an eye on the page, and we could have a prominent link
to it from the R homepage.

Just my 2c,
Fritz

Re: R User Group listings

Prof J C Nash (U30A)
Why not! Looks like there were several conversations going on
independently at UseR about this.

I'll put up a page and then ask Martin to adjust the link.

JN

Friedrich Leisch wrote:

>   > Further to my posting about R UG mailing lists etc., and David Smith's
>   > post about the list he is maintaining (I was aware of his blog, but not
>   > that he was updating -- good show), I'm in communication with him to try
>   > to ensure we get appropriate information out to useRs.
>
>   > Already there has been a posting asking if there is any group in
>   > Germany, and asking is the first step to getting a group going. I
>   > suspect we need to expand from just a listing to also include
>   > "Desperately seeking R users..." entries. Will see what we can do.
>
> I shortly talked with Jip Porzak about it at useR (because he
> previously approached me with the question about having such a list on
> the "official" R web pages). My personal opinion is that such a
> listing really belongs into the R Wiki, such that user groups can add
> themselves. Of course it would be great if somebody could act as an
> editor and have an eye on the page, and we could have a prominent link
> to it from the R homepage.
>
> Just my 2c,
> Fritz

Re: R User Group listings

Prof J C Nash (U30A)
Better ideas should prevail. There is now a wiki page at
http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=rugs:r_user_groups.

It is not yet fully populated. (David Smith's blog at REvolution
Computing mentions more groups.)

JN

Re: R User Group listings

Friedrich Leisch

  > Better ideas should prevail. There is now a wiki page at
  > http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=rugs:r_user_groups.

  > It is not yet fully populated. (David Smith's blog at REvolution
  > Computing mentions more groups.)

Excellent, thanks a lot. I'll add a link to the menu of the R
homepage.

Best,
Fritz

Re: R User Group listings

Martin Maechler

    >> Better ideas should prevail. There is now a wiki page at
    >> http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=rugs:r_user_groups.

    >> It is not yet fully populated. (David Smith's blog at
    >> REvolution Computing mentions more groups.)

    FrL> Excellent, thanks a lot. I'll add a link to the menu of
    FrL> the R homepage.

Really?   Should this be more than  "mailing lists"?

I can see that, but then also the point of two many entries in
the top-level r-project.org web page.

Why should a local user's group be mentioned more "dominantly"
than a virtual group such as  the "R Mac Users",   R-SIG-Mac ?

Martin

Re: R User Group listings

Friedrich Leisch

  FrL> Excellent, thanks a lot. I'll add a link to the menu of
  FrL> the R homepage.

  > Really?   Should this be more than  "mailing lists"?

  > I can see that, but then also the point of two many entries in
  > the top-level r-project.org web page.

  > Why should a local user's group be mentioned more "dominantly"
  > than a virtual group such as  the "R Mac Users",   R-SIG-Mac ?

Hmm, not more dominantly, but on par? And note that I entered "User
Groups" under "Misc" on bottom of the menu bar, while mailing lists
are far more up the list.

But the web pages need a serious re-organization anyway, especially
the "Related Projects" part is a big mess.

Best,
Fritz

Re: R User Group listings

Jim Porzak
Fritz, Thanks for link in News! Looking forward to link in Misc. (I
agree with "on par" concept)

John, To address "how do we get started" questions - how about a
sub-page on R wiki where we can post what we've learned & some of
issues encountered?

Best,
Jim Porzak
Ancestry.com