Re: R for mac

Michael Johnston
Hi

I am club mentor for a group of high school students learning R. The Vice
President of Information Technology is hoping to broaden and deepen her
skill set so she can help others. She is doing well in helping students
install R on the Windows operating system. However, a few have problems
installing R on mac and one student is struggling to install R on
Chromebook. Is there someone who would be willing to provide some pointers?

Thank you for considering this request,
Michael

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 9:10 AM Dirk Eddelbuettel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23 September 2020 at 15:32, Michael Johnston wrote:
> | Hi
> | I am club mentor for a group of high school students learning R. A few
> have
> | problems installing R on mac. The Vp of information technology is hoping
> | for training so she can help others. Could you recommend someone to help
> | her?
> | Thank you for considering this request
>
> I have nothing to do with R on macOS -- but this mailing list is the place
> for mac-focussed discussion.  Maybe try that, and you likely need to
> subscribe before you can post.
>
> Dirk
>
> | Michael
>
> --
> https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | [hidden email]

Re: R for mac

Kevin E. Thorpe
For Mac specific issues the list R-SIG-Mac might be better. To my knowledge, R cannot be installed on a chromebook.

--
Kevin E. Thorpe
Head of Biostatistics,  Applied Health Research Centre (AHRC)

On 2020-09-25, 12:00 PM, "R-help on behalf of Michael Johnston" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Hi

    I am club mentor for a group of high school students learning R. The Vice
    President of Information Technology is hoping to broaden and deepen her
    skill set so she can help others. She is doing well in helping students
    install R on the Windows operating system. However, a few have problems
    installing R on mac and one student is struggling to install R on
    Chromebook. Is there someone who would be willing to provide some pointers?

    Thank you for considering this request,
    Michael

    On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 9:10 AM Dirk Eddelbuettel <[hidden email]> wrote:

    > On 23 September 2020 at 15:32, Michael Johnston wrote:
    > | Hi
    > | I am club mentor for a group of high school students learning R. A few
    > have
    > | problems installing R on mac. The Vp of information technology is hoping
    > | for training so she can help others. Could you recommend someone to help
    > | her?
    > | Thank you for considering this request
    >
    > I have nothing to do with R on macOS -- but this mailing list is the place
    > for mac-focussed discussion.  Maybe try that, and you likely need to
    > subscribe before you can post.
    >
    > Dirk
    >
    > | Michael
    >
    > --
    > https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | [hidden email]

Re: R for mac

R help mailing list-2
Hi Michael,
You have different specific R versions compatible for each OS.
For Mac version please find the link here: https://cran.r-project.org <https://cran.r-project.org/>

HTH,

Cheikh Tidiane DIAGNE
Public Health Entomologist

> On Sep 25, 2020, at 06:55, Michael Johnston <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> I am club mentor for a group of high school students learning R. The Vice
> President of Information Technology is hoping to broaden and deepen her
> skill set so she can help others. She is doing well in helping students
> install R on the Windows operating system. However, a few have problems
> installing R on mac and one student is struggling to install R on
> Chromebook. Is there someone who would be willing to provide some pointers?
>
> Thank you for considering this request,
> Michael
>

> On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 9:10 AM Dirk Eddelbuettel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 23 September 2020 at 15:32, Michael Johnston wrote:
>> | Hi
>> | I am club mentor for a group of high school students learning R. A few
>> have
>> | problems installing R on mac. The Vp of information technology is hoping
>> | for training so she can help others. Could you recommend someone to help
>> | her?
>> | Thank you for considering this request
>>
>> I have nothing to do with R on macOS -- but this mailing list is the place
>> for mac-focussed discussion.  Maybe try that, and you likely need to
>> subscribe before you can post.
>>
>> Dirk
>>
>> | Michael
>>
>> --
>> https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | [hidden email]

Re: R for mac

Jeff Newmiller
Some models of Chromebooks support limited use of Linux (via the approved "Crostini" project, for personal machines, via the developer-mode "Crouton" project). I use R in Crostini regularly.

In an educational setting it may be more prudent to suggest https://rstudio.cloud/

On September 25, 2020 9:43:18 AM PDT, Kevin Thorpe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>For Mac specific issues the list R-SIG-Mac might be better. To my
>knowledge, R cannot be installed on a chromebook.

Re: R for mac

aBBy Spurdle, ⍺XY
Running R on Chromebook, is contrary to the way Chromebook is designed to work.
In theory, R can be run off a server.
Then people/students can not only access it from Chromebook, but from
their phones.

Unfortunately, this is not a topic I'm familiar with, so can't offer specifics.
But, from an educational perspective, under the presumption of
training students for the (emerging) "real world", the mobile/web
based approach would seem more useful...

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 4:00 AM Michael Johnston
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am club mentor for a group of high school students learning R. The Vice
> President of Information Technology is hoping to broaden and deepen her
> skill set so she can help others. She is doing well in helping students
> install R on the Windows operating system. However, a few have problems
> installing R on mac and one student is struggling to install R on
> Chromebook. Is there someone who would be willing to provide some pointers?
>
> Thank you for considering this request,
> Michael
>

> On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 9:10 AM Dirk Eddelbuettel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > On 23 September 2020 at 15:32, Michael Johnston wrote:
> > | Hi
> > | I am club mentor for a group of high school students learning R. A few
> > have
> > | problems installing R on mac. The Vp of information technology is hoping
> > | for training so she can help others. Could you recommend someone to help
> > | her?
> > | Thank you for considering this request
> >
> > I have nothing to do with R on macOS -- but this mailing list is the place
> > for mac-focussed discussion.  Maybe try that, and you likely need to
> > subscribe before you can post.
> >
> > Dirk
> >
> > | Michael
> >
> > --
> > https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | [hidden email]

Re: R for mac

Dr Eberhard Lisse
Michael,

I would propose the easiest way (and appropriate in a student setting is
via Homebrew (https://brew.sh/)

         /bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install.sh)"

         brew install R
         brew cask install Rstudio

and thereafter once in a while

         brew upgrade
         brew upgrade --cask
         brew cleanup -s

and from within Rstudio

         Tools -> Check for Package Updates...
         Select All

el

On 25/09/2020 06:55, Michael Johnston wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am club mentor for a group of high school students learning R. The Vice
> President of Information Technology is hoping to broaden and deepen her
> skill set so she can help others. She is doing well in helping students
> install R on the Windows operating system. However, a few have problems
> installing R on mac and one student is struggling to install R on
> Chromebook. Is there someone who would be willing to provide some pointers?
>
> Thank you for considering this request,
> Michael
[...]

--
If you want to email me, replace nospam with el