Re: Synchronzing workspaces

Paul August
I used to work on several computers and to use a flash drive to synchronize the workspace on each machine before starting to work on it. I found that .RData always caused some trouble: Often it is corrupted even though there is no error in copying process. Does anybody have the similar experience?

Paul.

Re: Synchronzing workspaces

François Pinard
[Paul August]

> I used to work on several computers and to use a flash drive to
> synchronize the workspace on each machine before starting to work on
> it.  I found that .RData always caused some trouble: Often it is
> corrupted even though there is no error in copying process.  Does
> anybody have the similar experience?

Not me.  I use flash drives a lot to move .RData files around, without
the slightest trouble.  However, in my case, the involved machines are
similar in their architecture and system, so I was not fearing trouble.

--
François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca

Re: Synchronzing workspaces

Gabor Grothendieck
I haven't had similar experience but note that save has ascii=
and compress= arguments.  You could check if varying those
parameter values makes a difference.

On 8/30/07, Paul August <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I used to work on several computers and to use a flash drive to synchronize the workspace on each machine before starting to work on it. I found that .RData always caused some trouble: Often it is corrupted even though there is no error in copying process. Does anybody have the similar experience?
>
> Paul.

Thanks for sharing your experience. In my case, the involved machines are Windows Vista, XP and 2000. Not sure whether it contributes to my problem or not. I will look into this further.

I just noticed the two arguments ascii and compress for save. However, my .RData file was created by q() with "yes". The manual says that q() is equivalent to save(list = ls(all=TRUE), file = ".RData"). There seems to be no way to set ascii or compression of save through q function, unless the q function is replaced explicitly with save(list = ls(all=TRUE), file = ".RData", ascii = T).

Paul.

I haven't had similar experience but note that save has ascii=
and compress= arguments.  You could check if varying those
parameter values makes a difference.

On 8/30/07, Paul August <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I used to work on several computers and to use a flash drive to synchronize the workspace on each machine before starting to work on it. I found that .RData always caused some trouble: Often it is corrupted even though there is no error in copying process. Does anybody have the similar experience?
>
> Paul.

You could try saving prior to quitting in the future if you want to try
those arguments.

On 9/3/07, Paul August <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for sharing your experience. In my case, the involved machines are Windows Vista, XP and 2000. Not sure whether it contributes to my problem or not. I will look into this further.
>
> I just noticed the two arguments ascii and compress for save. However, my .RData file was created by q() with "yes". The manual says that q() is equivalent to save(list = ls(all=TRUE), file = ".RData"). There seems to be no way to set ascii or compression of save through q function, unless the q function is replaced explicitly with save(list = ls(all=TRUE), file = ".RData", ascii = T).
>
> Paul.

Liaw, Andy
See the example in ?save on how to set defaults via options().

Andy

From: Gabor Grothendieck