Re: prevalence of R in publications and institutions

Re: prevalence of R in publications and institutions

Douglas Bates-2
On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 6:46 AM, Travis Perry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dr. Bates,
>           Our department is considering replacing existing statistical
> software packages in our curriculum with R, at my request.  To better inform
> this decision we are interested to know the prevalence of R in the published
> literature and its use across academic and research institutions.  I have so
> far been unable to find satisfactory information on the subject.   Any
> information you could provide would be much appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
>
> best,
>
> --
> Travis Perry
> Associate Professor of Biology
> Department of Biology
> Furman University
> 3300 Poinsett Highway
> Greenville, SC 29613
>
> Senior Research Associate
> Rhodes University
> Grahamstown, South Africa
> Cell (864)-561-4240

Because R is an Open Source system which is freely distributed and may
be freely redistributed there is no way of keeping track of the
downloads and its use in academic and research institutions.

Searching for "R statistics" at a book site such as amazon.com or
barnesandnoble.com should produce enough hits to convince your
colleagues of an active development community.

On scholar.google.com the system itself has been cited 3782 times and
the initial paper on the system by Ihaka and Gentleman has been cited
over 6000 times.

Others on the R-help list may be able to give more information
regarding the use of R in the biological sciences.

Re: prevalence of R in publications and institutions

Martin Morgan
On 08/17/2012 09:25 AM, Douglas Bates wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 6:46 AM, Travis Perry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dr. Bates,
>>            Our department is considering replacing existing statistical
>> software packages in our curriculum with R, at my request.  To better inform
>> this decision we are interested to know the prevalence of R in the published
>> literature and its use across academic and research institutions.  I have so
>> far been unable to find satisfactory information on the subject.   Any
>> information you could provide would be much appreciated.
>>
>> Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
>>
>> best,
>>
>> --
>> Travis Perry
>> Associate Professor of Biology
>> Department of Biology
>> Furman University
>> 3300 Poinsett Highway
>> Greenville, SC 29613
>>
>> Senior Research Associate
>> Rhodes University
>> Grahamstown, South Africa
>> Cell (864)-561-4240
>>

> Because R is an Open Source system which is freely distributed and may
> be freely redistributed there is no way of keeping track of the
> downloads and its use in academic and research institutions.
>
> Searching for "R statistics" at a book site such as amazon.com or
> barnesandnoble.com should produce enough hits to convince your
> colleagues of an active development community.
>
> On scholar.google.com the system itself has been cited 3782 times and
> the initial paper on the system by Ihaka and Gentleman has been cited
> over 6000 times.
>
> Others on the R-help list may be able to give more information
> regarding the use of R in the biological sciences.

The Bioconductor annual report includes attempts to quantify scholarly
citations

   http://bioconductor.org/about/annual-reports/

The July 2012 report section 1.4 indicates 4115 Google Scholar citations
of Gentleman et al., 2004, which introduced the project. There were at
least 321 PubMed citations with the term 'Bioconductor' in 2011. A fun
game is to open your favourite high-profile science journal and play
spot-the-R-or-Bioconductor figure or analysis; this is not a challenging
game.

Martin

1100 Fairview Ave. N.
PO Box 19024 Seattle, WA 98109

Location: Arnold Building M1 B861
Phone: (206) 667-2793

Re: prevalence of R in publications and institutions

Travis Perry
Thank you both for your time and assistance.

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Douglas Bates <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ** **
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 6:46 AM, Travis Perry <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Dr. Bates,
> >           Our department is considering replacing existing statistical
> > software packages in our curriculum with R, at my request.  To better
> inform
> > this decision we are interested to know the prevalence of R in the
> published
> > literature and its use across academic and research institutions.  I
> have so
> > far been unable to find satisfactory information on the subject.   Any
> > information you could provide would be much appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
> >
> > best,
> >
> > --
> > Travis Perry
> > Associate Professor of Biology
> > Department of Biology
> > Furman University
> > 3300 Poinsett Highway
> > Greenville, SC 29613
> >
> > Senior Research Associate
> > Rhodes University
> > Grahamstown, South Africa
> > Cell (864)-561-4240
> >

> Because R is an Open Source system which is freely distributed and may
> be freely redistributed there is no way of keeping track of the
> downloads and its use in academic and research institutions.
>
> Searching for "R statistics" at a book site such as amazon.com or
> barnesandnoble.com should produce enough hits to convince your
> colleagues of an active development community.
>
> On scholar.google.com the system itself has been cited 3782 times and
> the initial paper on the system by Ihaka and Gentleman has been cited
> over 6000 times.
>
> Others on the R-help list may be able to give more information
> regarding the use of R in the biological sciences.

--
Travis Perry
Associate Professor of Biology
Department of Biology
Furman University
3300 Poinsett Highway
Greenville, SC 29613

Senior Research Associate
Rhodes University
Grahamstown, South Africa
Cell (864)-561-4240

Re: prevalence of R in publications and institutions

David Carlson
From a blurb I wrote recently:

Publishing on R has accelerated over the last few years. Chapman and
Hall/CRC Press publish over 50 books on R and has recently issued a call for
new submissions. Springer has a growing series called "Use R!" (38 volumes).
Wiley has a series called "Statistics Using R" (28 volumes).

David L Carlson
Associate Professor of Anthropology
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843-4352