Reading R Code aloud

andrewH
Dearfolks--
I have been told by an experienced R programmer and teacher whom I trust that it is easier to understand R code if you read it aloud, as the language that it is.  However, she was clear that reading it aloud was not simply reading the marks on the screen: you read A.df[5,] as "the fifth row of A.df" (or "the fifth row of data frame A"), not as "A dot df left square bracket five comma right square bracket," which is not helpful at all.  So you have to be able to read it to read it aloud. I have observed this of poetry as well, and that, if you hear a poem read well once, you have a deeper understanding of it (and often other work by the same poet) forever after, even when reading it silently.

So I was wondering if there are any significant example of people reading R code out loud available on the web, on youtube or something? I did not find any on ten minutes search, but perhaps I do not know how best to look. Does anyone know of any?

Warmly, andrewH

Re: Reading R Code aloud

cwdillon
Well, I've bee reading the R Manual, Nathan Yau's book on Flowing Data, and a few others like this to my kids to get them to go to sleep. I started off doing it the *wrong* way, just to keep it boring but slipped into doing it the *correct* way for my own sanity. It puts the kids to sleep in no time and I actually get some meaningful reading in. The familiar narrative style and topics such as hotdog (hdb) eating contests are not as effective as R manuals and getting the kids to sleep; even with the code.
-Clarence

Re: Reading R Code aloud

Liviu Andronic
On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 4:50 AM, cwdillon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well, I've bee reading the R Manual, Nathan Yau's book on Flowing Data, and a
> few others like this to my kids to get them to go to sleep. I started off
> doing it the *wrong* way, just to keep it boring but slipped into doing it
> the *correct* way for my own sanity. It puts the kids to sleep in no time
> and I actually get some meaningful reading in. The familiar narrative style
> and topics such as hotdog (hdb) eating contests are not as effective as R
> manuals and getting the kids to sleep; even with the code.

This is a pearl! May I nominate this as a fortune?
Liviu

Re: Reading R Code aloud

andrewH
Dear Clarence--

LOL!  R really is good for an amazing range of things! How old are your kids?

If no one else points to an intensional sample of "vocal R", maybe you could record one of your more inspired readings. It could be a service to the community of R learners -- and if it catches on, perhaps to parents everywhere.

Peace, andrewH

Re: Reading R Code aloud

Joshua Wiley-2
I wonder if reading C would work for those extra fussy nights?  Of
course if it didn't work, I'm not sure how to explain the cries of,
"but foo wasn't protected from the garbage collector!" to the
neighbors...

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 10:03 AM, andrewH <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Clarence--
>
> LOL!  R really is good for an amazing range of things! How old are your
> kids?
>
> If no one else points to an intensional sample of "vocal R", maybe you could
> record one of your more inspired readings. It could be a service to the
> community of R learners -- and if it catches on, perhaps to parents
> everywhere.
>
> Peace, andrewH

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology
Programmer Analyst II, ATS Statistical Consulting Group
University of California, Los Angeles
https://joshuawiley.com/