Reading oxmetrics/pcgive files (.in7 & .bn7)

Reading oxmetrics/pcgive files (.in7 & .bn7)

h0ps
Hi

I have the unfortune to have some data saved as oxmetrics/pcgive file
format (.in7 & .bn7). Is there any way to import data from this format into
R? I have tried both google and the importing/exporting guide without any
luck.

Thanks in advance

Best regards,

/Mikael

Re: Reading oxmetrics/pcgive files (.in7 & .bn7)

John C Frain
It is a long time since I have used oxmetrics/pcgive files. The data on the
file is in binary form and I do not know of any program that decodes it.
The easiest way to transform the dat would be to find a person who had
access to one of the oxmetrics oxmetrics programs who would read the file
and export it to a csv/spreadsheet format. If this is not possible  there
is a console version of Ox available free for academic use from
http://www.doornik.com/.  Last time I used this program one could read
oxmetrics format data into Ox and export it to a format that could be read
in R.

It is possible that some other person has written a program that will read
oxmetrics format data files and output the data in a more accessible format.

Best Regards

John

John C Frain
3 Aranleigh Park
Rathfarnham
Dublin 14
Ireland
www.tcd.ie/Economics/staff/frainj/home.html
mailto:[hidden email]
mailto:[hidden email]

On 26 January 2015 at 21:50, Mikael Olai Milhøj <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have the unfortune to have some data saved as oxmetrics/pcgive file
> format (.in7 & .bn7). Is there any way to import data from this format into
> R? I have tried both google and the importing/exporting guide without any
> luck.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Best regards,
>
> /Mikael

Re: Reading oxmetrics/pcgive files (.in7 & .bn7)

John C Frain
By way of an example, the ox code below reads the sample data.in7 (and
data.bn7) distributed with the console version of Ox and outputs it as an
Excel file.

#include <oxstd.h>
#import <database>
main()
{
decl dbase;
dbase = new Database();
dbase.Load("C:\Program Files (x86)\OxMetrics7\ox\data\data.in7");
dbase.Info();

dbase.SaveXls("E:/temp/ox/sample2_ox.xls");
delete dbase;
}

wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have the unfortune to have some data saved as oxmetrics/pcgive file
> format (.in7 & .bn7). Is there any way to import data from this format into
> R? I have tried both google and the importing/exporting guide without any
> luck.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Best regards,
>
> /Mikael

Re: Reading oxmetrics/pcgive files (.in7 & .bn7)

h0ps
Hi John

This was really helpful! Exactly what I needed. Thank you very much - I
really appreciate it!

/Mikael