Reading results of commands in Microsoft Word typed in the terminal window, A question from a Blind R user.

Reading results of commands in Microsoft Word typed in the terminal window, A question from a Blind R user.

Faiz Rasool
Hi all,

I would like to read the results of the commands type in the terminal window in Microsoft Word. As a blind user my options are somewhat limited and are time consuming if I want to see the results of the commands that I have type earlier. for example if  my first two commands were
 x<-c(1,2,3,4,5)
mean(x)
and I have typed ten more commands after the first two commands it is not easy for me to see that what was the result of mean(x)
but if I can somehow divert the results of the commands to Microsoft Word it is comparatively easy for me to see what was the result of mean(x) and what were the results of other commands. One another advantage of diverting R's output to Microsoft Word for me is that from there they can be easily copied into assignments as well.

Any ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

faiz.

Re: Reading results of commands in Microsoft Word typed in the terminal window, A question from a Blind R user.

Greg Snow-2
The R2wd package can be used to send things to word documents, that may work for you.  If you want this done automatically you could look at the txtStart and related functions in the TeachingDemos package and just change the parts that send plain text to the file (sink) with commands from R2wd.

An alternative may be to use emacs and ESS instead of Word, there R is more tightly integrated.

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center

Tal Galili
Hello Faiz,

I just wrote an extended tutorial that (I believe) fully addresses your
question, here:

http://www.r-statistics.com/2010/05/helping-the-blind-use-r-by-exporting-r-console-to-word/

(It is based on Greg Snows answer on the other thread, coupled with
the article I once wrote on some of the main features R2wd offers.  I
suggest you read it as well:
http://www.r-statistics.com/2010/05/exporting-r-output-to-ms-word-with-r2wd-an-example-session/
)

Let me know if it helps, and good luck to you!
Best,
Tal

Contact me: [hidden email] |  972-52-7275845
www.r-statistics.com (English)