Recovering former projects on R

Spencer Brackett
Good evening,

  I am revisiting a project I had saved to R studio and after working with
it for a little, with loaded data and environments shown just as I left
them when I stopped working on the project, my console and the tabs opened
went blank. I believe I accidentally activated q() and quit the project. I
tried to re-access the same file with all of the work I’ve done for this
project saved onto it, and I got the following...

 load("~/R/GBM P-EXP/GBM P-EXP.Rproj")
Error in load("~/R/GBM P-EXP/GBM P-EXP.Rproj") :
  bad restore file magic number (file may be corrupted) -- no data loaded
In addition: Warning message:
file ‘GBM P-EXP.Rproj’ has magic number 'Versi'
  Use of save versions prior to 2 is deprecated

Does this mean that I lost all of my previous work, or is there another way
to recover all the coding and loaded environments that I had saved to this
file?  For context, I also tried accessing the project through a desktop
version of the file saved on my desktop through R Studio, but this also
just generated a blank terminal with no loaded environments.

Spencer Brackett

Re: Recovering former projects on R

R help mailing list-2
You should ask someone at RStudio about this, but *.Rproj files are not
something R itself knows about.  load() reads files made by save(), which
usually have the extension ".Rdata" or ".rda".

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 1:43 PM Spencer Brackett <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good evening,
>
>   I am revisiting a project I had saved to R studio and after working with
> it for a little, with loaded data and environments shown just as I left
> them when I stopped working on the project, my console and the tabs opened
> went blank. I believe I accidentally activated q() and quit the project. I
> tried to re-access the same file with all of the work I’ve done for this
> project saved onto it, and I got the following...
>

>  load("~/R/GBM P-EXP/GBM P-EXP.Rproj")
> Error in load("~/R/GBM P-EXP/GBM P-EXP.Rproj") :
>   bad restore file magic number (file may be corrupted) -- no data loaded
> In addition: Warning message:
> file ‘GBM P-EXP.Rproj’ has magic number 'Versi'
>   Use of save versions prior to 2 is deprecated
>
> Does this mean that I lost all of my previous work, or is there another way
> to recover all the coding and loaded environments that I had saved to this
> file?  For context, I also tried accessing the project through a desktop
> version of the file saved on my desktop through R Studio, but this also
> just generated a blank terminal with no loaded environments.
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Best,
>
> Spencer Brackett

Re: Recovering former projects on R

Spencer Brackett
Thank you, I called them but was able to load what appears to be a reprex
of my Rhistory. If I remember correctly, there is a way to to reimplement
this history into your console so to regenerate previous work. How is this
done?

Best,

Spencer

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 4:51 PM William Dunlap <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You should ask someone at RStudio about this, but *.Rproj files are not
> something R itself knows about.  load() reads files made by save(), which
> usually have the extension ".Rdata" or ".rda".
>
> Bill Dunlap
> TIBCO Software
> wdunlap tibco.com
>

> On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 1:43 PM Spencer Brackett <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Good evening,
>>
>>   I am revisiting a project I had saved to R studio and after working with
>> it for a little, with loaded data and environments shown just as I left
>> them when I stopped working on the project, my console and the tabs opened
>> went blank. I believe I accidentally activated q() and quit the project. I
>> tried to re-access the same file with all of the work I’ve done for this
>> project saved onto it, and I got the following...
>>

>>  load("~/R/GBM P-EXP/GBM P-EXP.Rproj")
>> Error in load("~/R/GBM P-EXP/GBM P-EXP.Rproj") :
>>   bad restore file magic number (file may be corrupted) -- no data loaded
>> In addition: Warning message:
>> file ‘GBM P-EXP.Rproj’ has magic number 'Versi'
>>   Use of save versions prior to 2 is deprecated
>>
>> Does this mean that I lost all of my previous work, or is there another
>> way
>> to recover all the coding and loaded environments that I had saved to this
>> file?  For context, I also tried accessing the project through a desktop
>> version of the file saved on my desktop through R Studio, but this also
>> just generated a blank terminal with no loaded environments.
>>
>> Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Spencer Brackett

Re: Recovering former projects on R

David Winsemius

On 6/21/19 2:34 PM, Spencer Brackett wrote:
> Thank you, I called them but was able to load what appears to be a reprex
> of my Rhistory. If I remember correctly, there is a way to to reimplement
> this history into your console so to regenerate previous work. How is this
> done?

Assuming you still have teh data files stored in the same locations as
they were when the history was recorded you should be able to use teh
`source` function. Or you could create an *.R file and execute it from
your OS file viewer if you have the R extension associated with the R
executable.

?source

--

David.

> Best,
>
> Spencer
>
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 4:51 PM William Dunlap <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> You should ask someone at RStudio about this, but *.Rproj files are not
>> something R itself knows about.  load() reads files made by save(), which
>> usually have the extension ".Rdata" or ".rda".
>>
>> Bill Dunlap
>> TIBCO Software
>> wdunlap tibco.com
>>

>> On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 1:43 PM Spencer Brackett <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Good evening,
>>>
>>>    I am revisiting a project I had saved to R studio and after working with
>>> it for a little, with loaded data and environments shown just as I left
>>> them when I stopped working on the project, my console and the tabs opened
>>> went blank. I believe I accidentally activated q() and quit the project. I
>>> tried to re-access the same file with all of the work I’ve done for this
>>> project saved onto it, and I got the following...
>>>

>>>   load("~/R/GBM P-EXP/GBM P-EXP.Rproj")
>>> Error in load("~/R/GBM P-EXP/GBM P-EXP.Rproj") :
>>>    bad restore file magic number (file may be corrupted) -- no data loaded
>>> In addition: Warning message:
>>> file ‘GBM P-EXP.Rproj’ has magic number 'Versi'
>>>    Use of save versions prior to 2 is deprecated
>>>
>>> Does this mean that I lost all of my previous work, or is there another
>>> way
>>> to recover all the coding and loaded environments that I had saved to this
>>> file?  For context, I also tried accessing the project through a desktop
>>> version of the file saved on my desktop through R Studio, but this also
>>> just generated a blank terminal with no loaded environments.
>>>
>>> Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Spencer Brackett
>>>
>>>          [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: Recovering former projects on R

Eric Berger
RStudio has a panel with a tab 'History' (that panel also has tabs
'Environment' and 'Connections').
If you click on the 'History' tab and can see your relevant history, you
can then highlight commands of interest and click the 'To Console' button.
This copies the highlighted commands to the console and you can then press
the 'Enter' key to execute them.

Alternatively, you can open an R file (script) and press 'To Source'
instead of 'To Console'. This copies the highlighted commands to the source
file.
This is a great convenience in creating a source file to be (edited and)
executed as you wish.

HTH,
Eric