Rtools contains Python interpreter(s), and six copies?

Rtools contains Python interpreter(s), and six copies?

Abby Spurdle
I've just discovered that Rtools (on Windows) contains Python
interpreter(s).
I'm assuming that Python is required to build R packages, on all operating
systems.

I think this is a mistake.

Also, by my count, Rtools contains six Python interpreters.
I've miscounted, I hope...

Re: Rtools contains Python interpreter(s), and six copies?

Jeroen Ooms
On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 12:12 AM Abby Spurdle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've just discovered that Rtools (on Windows) contains Python
> interpreter(s).

A minimal build of python was included as a dependency of gdb in
Rtools 3.3 and up.

> I'm assuming that Python is required to build R packages, on all operating
> systems.

Please don't assume but read the documentation (preferably before posting).

> Also, by my count, Rtools contains six Python interpreters.
> I've miscounted, I hope...

We have a dual toolchain so there is a 32 and a 64 bit build of
python2.7.exe. The other names (python.exe and python2.exe) are
symlinks that python automatically creates. These are not in any
location that is ever on the path so nothing to worry about.

Re: Rtools contains Python interpreter(s), and six copies?

Abby Spurdle
(Excerpts only).
On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 12:48 AM Jeroen Ooms <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'm assuming that Python is required to build R packages, on all
operating
> > systems.
> Please don't assume but read the documentation (preferably before
posting).

I can't find one reference to Python in the documentation:

https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/Rtools/
https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#The-Windows-toolset

Please write documentation (preferably before changing R).
And I will read it.

Re: Rtools contains Python interpreter(s), and six copies?

Iñaki Ucar
On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 at 00:36, Abby Spurdle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can't find one reference to Python in the documentation:

Maybe because it's *not* needed? There's a note here though:
https://github.com/rwinlib/gcc-4.9.3

Iñaki

Re: Rtools contains Python interpreter(s), and six copies?

Abby Spurdle
> > I can't find one reference to Python in the documentation:
> Maybe because it's *not* needed? There's a note here though:

Thank you.
I'm deleting it.