Run an external software in R

DavidMarino
Hi all R users:

Does anybody have the experience of running an external software in R? I
try to use R to run ANSYS software, which is a engineering simulation
package. I ever have done this task in Matlab platform by executing
the following code line:

system('"C:\Program Files\Ansys Inc\v100\ANSYS\bin\intel\ansys100" -b -p
ane3fl -i D:\Ansys\MyAnsysCode.txt -o D:\Ansys\vm5.out');

Any idea regarding implementing this work is very welcome.

David

Re: Run an external software in R

Bert Gunter-2
?system

But this begs the question: WHY would you want to do this? More
specifically, what should R communicate to your other software, and
what should the other software communicate to R?

Cheers,
Bert

and sticking things into it."

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 6:13 PM, Marino David <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all R users:
>
> Does anybody have the experience of running an external software in R? I
> try to use R to run ANSYS software, which is a engineering simulation
> package. I ever have done this task in Matlab platform by executing
> the following code line:
>
> system('"C:\Program Files\Ansys Inc\v100\ANSYS\bin\intel\ansys100" -b -p
> ane3fl -i D:\Ansys\MyAnsysCode.txt -o D:\Ansys\vm5.out');
>

> Any idea regarding implementing this work is very welcome.
>
> David

Re: Run an external software in R

R help mailing list-2
You can use system() or shell(), which adds "cmd.exe /c " to the front of
your command
so you can use DOS syntax.  Remember to add double quotes when file names
have
spaces in them.  E.g., I can call an old version of R with the following
and later read its
text output into my current session.

> infile <- tempfile()
> cat("getRversion()\n", file=infile)
> outfile <- tempfile()
> shell(paste("\"C:\\Program Files\\R\\R-2.15.1\\bin\\R\" --quiet --vanilla
<", infile, ">", outfile))
> readLines(outfile)
[1] "> getRversion()" "[1] '2.15.1'"    "> "

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com

wrote:

> Hi all R users:
>
> Does anybody have the experience of running an external software in R? I
> try to use R to run ANSYS software, which is a engineering simulation
> package. I ever have done this task in Matlab platform by executing
> the following code line:
>
> system('"C:\Program Files\Ansys Inc\v100\ANSYS\bin\intel\ansys100" -b -p
> ane3fl -i D:\Ansys\MyAnsysCode.txt -o D:\Ansys\vm5.out');
>

> Any idea regarding implementing this work is very welcome.
>
> David

> posting-guide.html

Re: Run an external software in R

Rainer Krug-3
Bert Gunter <[hidden email]> writes:

> ?system
>
> But this begs the question: WHY would you want to do this? More
> specifically, what should R communicate to your other software, and
> what should the other software communicate to R?

I am not the OP, buty I can give you an answer why I did this (OK - I
user rgrass7 - but under the hood the same in my case).

I don't have to say that R is extremely powerful and flexible - and when
you are used to R, it even becomes intuitive. So why not use R for
scripting, even if it is not statistical stuff? and with system() you
can call other languages (bash, grass, whatever you want) when things
are easier there - so in some cases, no data transfer between R and the
external program is even necessary.

But if you are asking about the specific case of the OP, I can't answer this.

Cheers,

Rainer

> Cheers,
> Bert
>
> Bert Gunter

> and sticking things into it."
>

> On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 6:13 PM, Marino David <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all R users:
>>
>> Does anybody have the experience of running an external software in R? I
>> try to use R to run ANSYS software, which is a engineering simulation
>> package. I ever have done this task in Matlab platform by executing
>> the following code line:
>>
>> system('"C:\Program Files\Ansys Inc\v100\ANSYS\bin\intel\ansys100" -b -p
>> ane3fl -i D:\Ansys\MyAnsysCode.txt -o D:\Ansys\vm5.out');
>>

>> Any idea regarding implementing this work is very welcome.
>>
>> David

Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de
PGP: 0x0F52F982

Re: Run an external software in R

David Remotti
I use the opposite approach ... run R from another software (usually a
GUI developed in VB), using Rscript from dos command line.

Maybe you can get the level of communication you need.

David Remotti