Running R on a hosting o server

bgnumis bgnum
Hi all,

Hope I can Explain:

I want to "run" online some function (code written by me) so that this code
"saves" an output file on my server and my html webpage read the file R
plots and save (really manually I would run R function, open Filezilla, and
pass the output png o jpg file).

Is it possible to do this "authomatically" telling R, something like each
15 minutes run this "pru.txt" file, and take save this plot.png and execute
filezilla with this inputs and save the plot in this folder?

Hope you can understand me.

In rmarkdown it is true that output html file but my intention is tu run my
own function and the need is to run my function in R, and run and open
filezilla and deposit the file in the right place.

Re: Running R on a hosting o server

John McKown
On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 2:55 PM, bgnumis bgnum <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Hope I can Explain:
>
> I want to "run" online some function (code written by me) so that this code
> "saves" an output file on my server and my html webpage read the file R
> plots and save (really manually I would run R function, open Filezilla, and
> pass the output png o jpg file).
>
> Is it possible to do this "authomatically" telling R, something like each
> 15 minutes run this "pru.txt" file, and take save this plot.png and execute
> filezilla with this inputs and save the plot in this folder?

​In Linux (or any UNIX like system), you can schedule tasks to be run by
using "cron" (do a "man crontab" for some information, if you need to). So,
if you can make a "shell script" which does all of your work without user
input, then you can use "cron" to schedule it periodically, every "n"
minutes, daily, weekly on ???day, monthly, etc. I don't know Filezilla, so
I don't know what you are really doing with it.

Windows has a similar scheduler to run "bat" files or "Power Shell"
scripts.​ I don't _DO_ Windows! <Start> -> <Administrative Tools> -> <Task
Scheduler>

Mac OSX - not a fanboy, try somebody else. <grin/>

> Hope you can understand me.
>
> In rmarkdown it is true that output html file but my intention is tu run my
> own function and the need is to run my function in R, and run and open
> filezilla and deposit the file in the right place.

​If you are using Filezilla to copy a file, where is it being copied to? In
UNIX, I'd see if I could use just the plain "cp" command (for local, NFS,
or CIFS attached places) or either the "ftp" or "scp" command to copy to a
different server. In Windows the "copy" command could be used to copy the
file to a different folder locally or on a "share" (Windows "share" is,
more or less, the same as UNIX CIFS, if you're interested)​. Again, if this
needs to go to some other server, then a scripted "ftp" should work. One of
my co-workers does this.

--

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a
restore is attempted.

Yoda of Borg, we are. Futile, resistance is, yes. Assimilated, you will be.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown