SECOND MESSAGE: Re: Question about R an SPSS

SECOND MESSAGE: Re: Question about R an SPSS

DIEGO CHAVEZ
Sent: Sunday, June 07, 2009 5:43 PM
  Subject: Question about R an SPSS

  Dears Sirs:
  Venables, Smith and  R-Development Core Team

  I am reading about the functional features of R statistical software, because I want to compare these progarm with the basic module of SPSS software.
  I would like to know  if the  R  version 2.9.0 application   is capable of  read and procces entry  files that were created in  SPSS program version 17 or earliers.

  In adittion,   If you have more information about the  functional comparisons between R and SPSS software, please send to my email address
  I will be grateful for you response.

  Best regards.

  Diego Chávez

Re: SECOND MESSAGE: Re: Question about R an SPSS

Wincent
There is a technical report on comparison of R and other statistical
software (http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/technicalreports/Number1/R_relative_statpack.pdf).
You can have an overall view from this document.

You may have better chance to get answers if you specify what you want
to do and if R can do it. Of course, R can read data of SPSS format by
read.spss function in foreign package.

Ronggui

2009/6/9 DIEGO CHAVEZ <[hidden email]>:

> Sent: Sunday, June 07, 2009 5:43 PM
>  Subject: Question about R an SPSS
>

>  Dears Sirs:
>  Venables, Smith and  R-Development Core Team
>

>  I am reading about the functional features of R statistical software, because I want to compare these progarm with the basic module of SPSS software.
>  I would like to know  if the  R  version 2.9.0 application   is capable of  read and procces entry  files that were created in  SPSS program version 17 or earliers.
>
>  In adittion,   If you have more information about the  functional comparisons between R and SPSS software, please send to my email address
>  I will be grateful for you response.
>
>  Best regards.
>
>  Diego Chávez

HUANG Ronggui, Wincent
PhD Candidate
Dept of Public and Social Administration
City University of Hong Kong
Home page: http://asrr.r-forge.r-project.org/rghuang.html

Re: SECOND MESSAGE: Re: Question about R an SPSS

Jim Porzak
Diego,

Start with Bob Muenchen's site: http://www.rforsasandspssusers.com/

HTH,
Jim Porzak
TGN.com
San Francisco, CA
www.linkedin.com/in/jimporzak
use R! Group SF: www.meetup.com/R-Users/

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 5:47 PM, DIEGO CHAVEZ <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Sent: Sunday, June 07, 2009 5:43 PM
>  Subject: Question about R an SPSS
>

>  Dears Sirs:
>  Venables, Smith and  R-Development Core Team
>

>  I am reading about the functional features of R statistical software,
> because I want to compare these progarm with the basic module of SPSS
> software.
>  I would like to know  if the  R  version 2.9.0 application   is capable of
>  read and procces entry  files that were created in  SPSS program version 17
> or earliers.
>
>  In adittion,   If you have more information about the  functional
> comparisons between R and SPSS software, please send to my email address
>  I will be grateful for you response.
>
>  Best regards.
>
>  Diego Chávez

Re: SECOND MESSAGE: Re: Question about R an SPSS

Liviu Andronic
On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 2:47 AM, DIEGO CHAVEZ<[hidden email]> wrote:
>  I am reading about the functional features of R statistical software, because I want to compare these progarm with the basic module of SPSS software.
>  I would like to know  if the  R  version 2.9.0 application   is capable of  read and procces entry  files that were created in  SPSS program version 17 or earliers.

To begin with R, and to switch from SPSS, you would check JGR and
Rcmdr, two graphical interfaces to R. Rcmdr graphically allows you to
import SPSS files, and also allows to run statistical analyses in a
point-and-click fashion (*somewhat* in the style of SPSS). Read the
help page of the function associated with SPSS import to see what
versions of SPSS it supports (either `foreign; ?read.spss' or click
`help' in the relevant menu in Rcmdr).
Liviu

>  In adittion,   If you have more information about the  functional comparisons between R and SPSS software, please send to my email address
>  I will be grateful for you response.
>
>  Best regards.
>
>  Diego Chávez

Do you know how to read?