SVG format from any R graphic GUI?

Agustin Lobo-2
I have problems with emf files because OpenOffice does
a poor job at importing figures in this format. On the other
hand, imported eps figures are not displayed, just printed.
Is there any R graphic gui able to export as SVG (or
other vector format)? I've
tried JGR, iplots and svGUI.

Thanks!

Agus

--
Dr. Agustin Lobo
Institut de Ciencies de la Terra "Jaume Almera" (CSIC)

Re: SVG format from any R graphic GUI?

Stefan Grosse-2
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:20:35 +0200 Agustin Lobo wrote:
AL>I have problems with emf files because OpenOffice does
AL>a poor job at importing figures in this format. On the other
AL>hand, imported eps figures are not displayed, just printed.
AL>Is there any R graphic gui able to export as SVG (or
AL>other vector format)? I've
AL>tried JGR, iplots and svGUI.

The figures format has nothing to do with the gui. It matters which
devices are supported by your R platform on your system
(Win/Linux/Mac?).

A quick search on r-project.org pointed me to the Cairo package. Maybe
you can try that.

You will also have reasonable results using the png device/graphics.

usually you do something like:

png("myplot.png",width=500,height=500)
plot(x,y)
dev.off()

hth
Stefan

Re: SVG format from any R graphic GUI?

Agustin Lobo-2
Thanks,
I know about saving to file via the graphic devices, and I
do use the cairoSVG for example. But I'm looking
for a minimum interactivity, such in the windows Gui where
you resize your graphic and when you like it
you click on "save as..." The problem is that you only
have emf as vector option, and emf files are poorly imported
by OO.

Agus

--
Dr. Agustin Lobo
Institut de Ciencies de la Terra "Jaume Almera" (CSIC)
LLuis Sole Sabaris s/n
08028 Barcelona
Spain
Tel. 34 934095410
Fax. 34 934110012
email: [hidden email]
http://www.ija.csic.es/gt/obster

Re: SVG format from any R graphic GUI?

Prof Brian Ripley
R 2.7.0 RC has an svg() device on Unix-alikes, and there are RSvgDevice
and RSVGTipsDevice packages on CRAN.

I've seen so many problems with SVG renderers (especially related to
fonts) that I would prefer not to rely on it.

If this is Windows, the preferred route seems to be to use EPS with a
preview (which GSView can add for you).

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Stefan Grosse wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:20:35 +0200 Agustin Lobo wrote:
> AL>I have problems with emf files because OpenOffice does
> AL>a poor job at importing figures in this format. On the other
> AL>hand, imported eps figures are not displayed, just printed.
> AL>Is there any R graphic gui able to export as SVG (or
> AL>other vector format)? I've
> AL>tried JGR, iplots and svGUI.
>
> The figures format has nothing to do with the gui. It matters which
> devices are supported by your R platform on your system
> (Win/Linux/Mac?).
>
> A quick search on r-project.org pointed me to the Cairo package. Maybe
> you can try that.
>
> You will also have reasonable results using the png device/graphics.
>
> usually you do something like:
>
> png("myplot.png",width=500,height=500)
> plot(x,y)
> dev.off()
>
> hth
> Stefan

Re: SVG format from any R graphic GUI?

Marc Schwartz
A reasonable question here might be, what do you intend to do with the
SVG file, once you have it.  OO.org does not natively import SVG files
and the only import filter that I am aware of for it:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/SVG_Import_Filter

is an incomplete implementation. This means that your resultant graphic
could end up 'brain damaged' after import.

Not even OO.org 3.x, which is in development, will support this
natively. Though they are adding PDF import functionality.

Importing EPS graphs into OO.org works great and if you need a preview
image, you can have one if you have the proper tools installed as Prof.
Ripley notes. You can either do this from the command line or during the
actual import process.  Just keep in mind that what you will see in the
document is the bitmapped preview, not the vector based EPS image.
OO.org, like MS Office, does not render EPS images.

You of course also need to print the document to a PS compatible
printer, lest you simply get the bitmapped preview image output. Same
thing BTW, with the default PDF export functions in OO.org.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> R 2.7.0 RC has an svg() device on Unix-alikes, and there are RSvgDevice
> and RSVGTipsDevice packages on CRAN.
>
> I've seen so many problems with SVG renderers (especially related to
> fonts) that I would prefer not to rely on it.
>
> If this is Windows, the preferred route seems to be to use EPS with a
> preview (which GSView can add for you).
>
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Stefan Grosse wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:20:35 +0200 Agustin Lobo wrote:
>> AL>I have problems with emf files because OpenOffice does
>> AL>a poor job at importing figures in this format. On the other
>> AL>hand, imported eps figures are not displayed, just printed.
>> AL>Is there any R graphic gui able to export as SVG (or
>> AL>other vector format)? I've
>> AL>tried JGR, iplots and svGUI.
>>
>> The figures format has nothing to do with the gui. It matters which
>> devices are supported by your R platform on your system
>> (Win/Linux/Mac?).
>>
>> A quick search on r-project.org pointed me to the Cairo package. Maybe
>> you can try that.
>>
>> You will also have reasonable results using the png device/graphics.
>>
>> usually you do something like:
>>
>> png("myplot.png",width=500,height=500)
>> plot(x,y)
>> dev.off()
>>
>> hth
>> Stefan

Re: SVG format from any R graphic GUI?

Agustin Lobo-2
Thanks for your answers, let me summarize the situation:

1. I've tested the SVG import for OO, it's not great
but it is much better than what you get for EMF. I know
nothing about SVG, though, perhaps it is not the
best graphics format.
2. I need the figure displayed on the screen, I'm using
Impress (the equivalent of ppt). Thus EPS is not an option,
3. I do not see any pdf import functionality in OO, I get it
as text and in OO writer. PDF is not listed among
the supported formats in Impress for inserting graphic files.
I did not try the development version of OO, perhaps this is
an alternative.

Agus

--
Dr. Agustin Lobo
Institut de Ciencies de la Terra "Jaume Almera" (CSIC)
LLuis Sole Sabaris s/n
08028 Barcelona
Spain
Tel. 34 934095410
Fax. 34 934110012
email: [hidden email]
http://www.ija.csic.es/gt/obster

Re: SVG format from any R graphic GUI?

Marc Schwartz
See comments inline:

Agustin Lobo wrote:
> Thanks for your answers, let me summarize the situation:
>
> 1. I've tested the SVG import for OO, it's not great
> but it is much better than what you get for EMF. I know
> nothing about SVG, though, perhaps it is not the
> best graphics format.

In theory, SVG would be something of an ideal format, because it is open
and provides for high quality graphics for viewing AND printing. It is
being increasingly used, but still has yet to be fully supported in most
applications. For example, OO.org's Draw application can generate SVG
graphics, but as noted, does not fully support importing them back into
the OO.org apps.

> 2. I need the figure displayed on the screen, I'm using
> Impress (the equivalent of ppt). Thus EPS is not an option,

Two recommendations, if this is for presentation:

1. Use LaTeX, specifically the Beamer package. This will generate PDF
slide files, which you can then display using the full screen viewing
features of applications like Adobe's Reader. This is what I with R/Sweave.

More information here:

http://latex-beamer.sourceforge.net/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beamer_(LaTeX)

2. Import the R EPS files into OO.org as per your normal routine. Then,
when ready, print the document to a PS file, using a PS compatible
printer driver. You don't actually have to have a PS printer, just
install a PS driver. When you go to print the document, there will be an
option someplace in the dialogs to "print to file". Do so. This will
give you a PS file, with the high quality vector based EPS images, not
the bitmapped previews.

Then use 'ps2pdf' to convert the PS file you create above to a PDF file.
This leaves you in essentially the same place as LaTeX, where you can
then use the full screen viewing mode of a PDF viewer.  I used to use
this option several years ago, before I began to use LaTeX almost
exclusively.

> 3. I do not see any pdf import functionality in OO, I get it
> as text and in OO writer. PDF is not listed among
> the supported formats in Impress for inserting graphic files.
> I did not try the development version of OO, perhaps this is
> an alternative.

PDF import will be new for OO.org 3.x.  It is not available in the
current 2.x stable release versions.

HTH,

Marc

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:51:30 +0200 Agustin Lobo wrote:
AL> 2. I need the figure displayed on the screen, I'm using
AL> Impress (the equivalent of ppt). Thus EPS is not an option,

1. So what please is wrong with png? I am using it with Word (If for
some reasons I cannot use LaTeX -- some coauthors are unfortunately
quite resistant there...)

2. Plus have you tried to make pdf's from the impress slides with the
eps graphics? Works perfectly for me. Acrobat reader can than do the
presentation in full screen mode as well. This indeed makes eps an
option again!

hth
Stefan

Re: SVG format from any R graphic GUI?

Agustin Lobo-2
Stefan,

Stefan Grosse escribió:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:51:30 +0200 Agustin Lobo wrote:
> AL> 2. I need the figure displayed on the screen, I'm using
> AL> Impress (the equivalent of ppt). Thus EPS is not an option,
>
> 1. So what please is wrong with png? I am using it with Word (If for
> some reasons I cannot use LaTeX -- some coauthors are unfortunately
> quite resistant there...)

If you include a png in your Impress presentation and resize it
(which is often the case, that's why you use a program for
presentations) , you
get very bad quality. I think this is because png is not vector format.
This problem does not occur with emf files in ppt or with svg files
in Impress (as far as I've been able to see).

> 2. Plus have you tried to make pdf's from the impress slides with the
> eps graphics? Works perfectly for me. Acrobat reader can than do the
> presentation in full screen mode as well. This indeed makes eps an
> option again!

Yes, thanks for the workaround that I personally will try. But I'm not
trying to solve my problem only, I really want to know if I can tell my
colleagues that
they can use OO in the same way as they do with MSOffice. Thus,
I'm looking for something as simple and equivalent to the way
you work with emf and ppt as possible: you just
copy an emf file and paste it on a ppt slide, where you
resize it, annotate it, animate it etc.
Discarded the emf file, I've seen that opening an svg file with OO
works and it's close to the ideal solution (copying and pasting the
svg file on Impress does not work well).

Agus

--
Dr. Agustin Lobo
Institut de Ciencies de la Terra "Jaume Almera" (CSIC)
LLuis Sole Sabaris s/n
08028 Barcelona
Spain
Tel. 34 934095410
Fax. 34 934110012
email: [hidden email]
http://www.ija.csic.es/gt/obster

Re: SVG format from any R graphic GUI?

Agustin Lobo-2
Thanks, actually I had thought on Lynx as an option, so
your opinion encourages me to try.
But wanted to solve the problem within the OO environment
as well.

Agus

--
Dr. Agustin Lobo
Institut de Ciencies de la Terra "Jaume Almera" (CSIC)
LLuis Sole Sabaris s/n
08028 Barcelona
Spain
Tel. 34 934095410
Fax. 34 934110012
email: [hidden email]
http://www.ija.csic.es/gt/obster

Re: SVG format from any R graphic GUI?

Liviu Andronic
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 9:03 AM, Stefan Grosse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  1. So what please is wrong with png? I am using it with Word (If for
>  some reasons I cannot use LaTeX -- some coauthors are unfortunately
>  quite resistant there...)

.. for the reticent, there is always LyX.. [1] To a certain (to full?)
degree, it can be used together with Sweave. Look here [2] for certain
pointers.
Liviu

[1] http://www.lyx.org/
[2] http://cran.at.r-project.org/web/packages/RcmdrPlugin.Export/RcmdrPlugin.Export.pdf