Saving surface3d Output

Laura Quinn-2
Hello,

Please could someone advise if it's possible to save the graphical output
from the surface3d() function? I have tried the dev.copy() function to
save as a pdf but an error message says I cannot copy from the null
device.

Laura Quinn
Institute of Atmospheric Science
School of Earth and Environment
University of Leeds
Leeds
LS2 9JT

tel: +44 113 343 1596
fax: +44 113 343 6716
mail: [hidden email]

Re: Saving surface3d Output

Duncan Murdoch
On 2/13/2006 6:56 AM, Laura Quinn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Please could someone advise if it's possible to save the graphical output
> from the surface3d() function? I have tried the dev.copy() function to
> save as a pdf but an error message says I cannot copy from the null
> device.

Are you talking about surface3d in the rgl package?  It doesn't use the
standard R graphics system, so dev.copy() won't help.  You need
rgl.snapshot, which can create png files.  You'll need some other
utility to convert those to pdf.

Re: Saving surface3d Output

barry rowlingson
Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> Are you talking about surface3d in the rgl package?  It doesn't use the
> standard R graphics system, so dev.copy() won't help.  You need
> rgl.snapshot, which can create png files.  You'll need some other
> utility to convert those to pdf.

  Or screen-grab them somehow. In Windows: hit 'Print Scrn' - or is it
shift-Print Scrn - then open a graphics program (Photoshop) and create a
new picture and then 'Paste' it in. That'll give you the whole screen,
so crop to size and save. There are other screen grabber utilities
available.

  On Linux, I'd run Gimp and then capture the graphics window with the
'Acquire... Screen Shot' function. Save as required.

Barry