Setting LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 failed

Steven Penny
Using this in my "~/.profile":

    export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8

Yields this:

    $ Rscript -e 'print(9)'
    During startup - Warning message:
    Setting LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 failed
    [1] 9

This is confusing as the exact same environment works fine with other
languages:

    $ python3 -c 'print(9)'
    9

    $ ruby -e 'puts 9'
    9

Re: Setting LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 failed

Tomas Kalibera
On 6/5/19 3:49 AM, Steven Penny wrote:

> Using this in my "~/.profile":
>
>    export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
>
> Yields this:
>
>    $ Rscript -e 'print(9)'
>    During startup - Warning message:
>    Setting LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 failed
>    [1] 9
>
> This is confusing as the exact same environment works fine with other
> languages:
>
>    $ python3 -c 'print(9)'
>    9
>
>    $ ruby -e 'puts 9'
>    9

The locale is probably not available on your system, please
install/generate it.

Tomas

Re: Setting LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 failed

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 06/06/2019 6:22 a.m., Tomas Kalibera wrote:

> On 6/5/19 3:49 AM, Steven Penny wrote:
>> Using this in my "~/.profile":
>>
>>     export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
>>
>> Yields this:
>>
>>     $ Rscript -e 'print(9)'
>>     During startup - Warning message:
>>     Setting LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 failed
>>     [1] 9
>>
>> This is confusing as the exact same environment works fine with other
>> languages:
>>
>>     $ python3 -c 'print(9)'
>>     9
>>
>>     $ ruby -e 'puts 9'
>>     9
>
> The locale is probably not available on your system, please
> install/generate it.

I think Steven is running the Windows build, not a POSIX build, so
that's not a legal value.  He could try the Cygwin build, but I think it
has other problems, and isn't supported by R Core.  As far as I know
there is no Windows locale that fully supports UTF-8.

On 06/06/2019 7:28 a.m., Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 06/06/2019 6:22 a.m., Tomas Kalibera wrote:
>> On 6/5/19 3:49 AM, Steven Penny wrote:
>>> Using this in my "~/.profile":
>>>
>>>      export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
>>>
>>> Yields this:
>>>
>>>      $ Rscript -e 'print(9)'
>>>      During startup - Warning message:
>>>      Setting LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 failed
>>>      [1] 9
>>>
>>> This is confusing as the exact same environment works fine with other
>>> languages:
>>>
>>>      $ python3 -c 'print(9)'
>>>      9
>>>
>>>      $ ruby -e 'puts 9'
>>>      9
>>
>> The locale is probably not available on your system, please
>> install/generate it.
>
> I think Steven is running the Windows build, not a POSIX build, so
> that's not a legal value.  He could try the Cygwin build, but I think it
> has other problems, and isn't supported by R Core.  As far as I know
> there is no Windows locale that fully supports UTF-8.

The Windows name for a UTF-8 locale is supposed to be en_US.65001 (see
<https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/c-runtime-library/locale-names-languages-and-country-region-strings?view=vs-2019>
if it hasn't disappeared by the time you read this).  However, when I
tried that a few years ago, it didn't work.  Maybe it does now.

On 6/6/19 3:24 PM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 06/06/2019 7:28 a.m., Duncan Murdoch wrote:

>>> The locale is probably not available on your system, please
>>> install/generate it.
>>
>> I think Steven is running the Windows build, not a POSIX build, so
>> that's not a legal value.  He could try the Cygwin build, but I think it
>> has other problems, and isn't supported by R Core.  As far as I know
>> there is no Windows locale that fully supports UTF-8.
>>

> The Windows name for a UTF-8 locale is supposed to be en_US.65001 (see
> <https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/c-runtime-library/locale-names-languages-and-country-region-strings?view=vs-2019>
> if it hasn't disappeared by the time you read this).  However, when I
> tried that a few years ago, it didn't work.  Maybe it does now.

Yes, it is 65001 but it still cannot be used as setlocale() Windows
locale (in LC_CTYPE), and hence R on Windows cannot use UTF-8 as native
encoding.

Tomas