Should requireNamespace(quietly = TRUE) suppress messages about overwritten S3 methods?

Should requireNamespace(quietly = TRUE) suppress messages about overwritten S3 methods?

Yihui Xie-2
Hi,

In the NEWS of R 3.6.0:

> When loading namespaces, S3 method registrations which overwrite previous registrations are now noted by default (using packageStartupMessage()).

As a result, requireNamespace() with R 3.6.0 is no longer quiet as before, e.g.,

> requireNamespace('ggplot2', quietly = TRUE)
Registered S3 methods overwritten by 'ggplot2':
  method         from
  [.quosures     rlang
  c.quosures     rlang
  print.quosures rlang

I wonder if this is intentional. Thanks!

Regards,
Yihui
--
https://yihui.name