Snallball, rJava, and R 2.15.1

Triss.Ashton
I just bought a new machine and installed the latest release of R 2.15.1 two days ago.  Loaded libraries yesterday (all reported successful loads).  While running scripts, rJava and Snowball would not load.  Here is Snowball successful install:

> utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
trying URL 'http://cran.cs.wwu.edu/bin/windows/contrib/2.15/Snowball_0.0-8.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 386840 bytes (377 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 377 Kb

package ‘Snowball’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

The downloaded binary packages are in
        C:\Users\Triss\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpKsz7Qg\downloaded_packages

Here is rJava' successful install:

> utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
trying URL 'http://cran.cs.wwu.edu/bin/windows/contrib/2.15/rJava_0.9-3.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 746108 bytes (728 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 728 Kb

package ‘rJava’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

The downloaded binary packages are in
        C:\Users\Triss\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpKsz7Qg\downloaded_packages

The directories for rJava and Snowball are viewable in the Libraries directory.   Tried to run my scripts but rJava and Snowball failed to load giving the following error when the libraries try to load:

> library(rJava)
Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'rJava', details:
  call: fun(libname, pkgname)
  error: JAVA_HOME cannot be determined from the Registry
Error: package/namespace load failed for ‘rJava’
> library(Snowball)
Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'Snowball', details:
  call: NULL
  error: .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'rJava', details:
  call: fun(libname, pkgname)
  error: JAVA_HOME cannot be determined from the Registry
In addition: Warning message:
package ‘Snowball’ was built under R version 2.15.2
Error: package/namespace load failed for ‘Snowball’

I then found a different copy of rJava on R-Force last night.  Installed it and it seemed to fix the rJava problem.  However, Snowball continues to be a problem:

  Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'Snowball', details:
  call: get(Info[i, 1], envir = env)
  error: internal error -3 in R_decompress1
In addition: Warning messages:
1: package ‘lsa’ was built under R version 2.15.2
2: package ‘Snowball’ was built under R version 2.15.2
Error: package ‘Snowball’ could not be loaded

To illustrate this problem, I reinstalled the rJava package from Cran this morning.  After writing this up, went back to R-force to reinstall a working copy of rJava, but it seems they have now pulled the rJava library so I am now stuck with two broken libraries.  Thought the problem might be with R 2.15.1.  Installed 2.15.0 but same results.  One other point: at one time last night there was a window popping up with a warning message - something to do with "Rf_copyListMatrix".  That window is not coming up this morning.  Let me know if there is anything else you need to figure this out.

Thanks,

Triss

Re: Snallball, rJava, and R 2.15.1

Pascal Oettli-2
Hello,

It is said
 > In addition: Warning messages:
 > 1: package ‘lsa’ was built under R version 2.15.2
 > 2: package ‘Snowball’ was built under R version 2.15.2

Install R 2.15.2 first.

Regards,
Pascal

Le 31/10/12 23:29, Triss.Ashton a écrit :

> [...]
>    call: get(Info[i, 1], envir = env)
>    error: internal error -3 in R_decompress1
> In addition: Warning messages:
> 1: package ‘lsa’ was built under R version 2.15.2
> 2: package ‘Snowball’ was built under R version 2.15.2
> Error: package ‘Snowball’ could not be loaded
>>

> To illustrate this problem, I reinstalled the rJava package from Cran this
> morning.  After writing this up, went back to R-force to reinstall a working
> copy of rJava, but it seems they have now pulled the rJava library so I am
> now stuck with two broken libraries.  Thought the problem might be with R
> 2.15.1.  Installed 2.15.0 but same results.  One other point: at one time
> last night there was a window popping up with a warning message - something
> to do with "Rf_copyListMatrix".  That window is not coming up this morning.
> Let me know if there is anything else you need to figure this out.

Prof Brian Ripley
You forgot to install a JRE (Java runtime).

And please use R 2.15.2, which is current, if you are installing from
scratch.  Some packages built with 2.15.2 (e.g. Matrix) do not work with
2.15.[01].

rJava is on CRAN/rforge.net, not 'R-force' (sic).

which includes updating your R before posting.

On 31/10/2012 14:29, Triss.Ashton wrote:

> [...]
>    call: get(Info[i, 1], envir = env)
>    error: internal error -3 in R_decompress1
> In addition: Warning messages:
> 1: package ‘lsa’ was built under R version 2.15.2
> 2: package ‘Snowball’ was built under R version 2.15.2
> Error: package ‘Snowball’ could not be loaded
>>

> To illustrate this problem, I reinstalled the rJava package from Cran this
> morning.  After writing this up, went back to R-force to reinstall a working
> copy of rJava, but it seems they have now pulled the rJava library so I am
> now stuck with two broken libraries.  Thought the problem might be with R
> 2.15.1.  Installed 2.15.0 but same results.  One other point: at one time
> last night there was a window popping up with a warning message - something
> to do with "Rf_copyListMatrix".  That window is not coming up this morning.
> Let me know if there is anything else you need to figure this out.

No difference.

R version 2.15.2 (2012-10-26) -- "Trick or Treat"
Copyright (C) 2012 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
trying URL 'http://cran.stat.ucla.edu/bin/windows/contrib/2.15/rJava_0.9-3.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 746108 bytes (728 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 728 Kb
package ‘rJava’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
The downloaded binary packages are in
        C:\Users\Triss\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpEJUIPF\downloaded_packages
> local({pkg <- select.list(sort(.packages(all.available = TRUE)),graphics=TRUE)
+ if(nchar(pkg)) library(pkg, character.only=TRUE)})
Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'rJava', details:
  call: fun(libname, pkgname)
  error: JAVA_HOME cannot be determined from the Registry
Error: package/namespace load failed for ‘rJava’
> utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
also installing the dependencies ‘RWekajars’, ‘RWeka’
trying URL 'http://cran.stat.ucla.edu/bin/windows/contrib/2.15/RWekajars_3.7.7-1.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 5521316 bytes (5.3 Mb)
opened URL
downloaded 5.3 Mb
trying URL 'http://cran.stat.ucla.edu/bin/windows/contrib/2.15/RWeka_0.4-12.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 527842 bytes (515 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 515 Kb
trying URL 'http://cran.stat.ucla.edu/bin/windows/contrib/2.15/Snowball_0.0-8.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 386840 bytes (377 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 377 Kb
package ‘RWekajars’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
package ‘RWeka’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> [...]

>    call: get(Info[i, 1], envir = env)
>    error: internal error -3 in R_decompress1
> In addition: Warning messages:
> 1: package ‘lsa’ was built under R version 2.15.2
> 2: package ‘Snowball’ was built under R version 2.15.2
> Error: package ‘Snowball’ could not be loaded
>>

> To illustrate this problem, I reinstalled the rJava package from Cran this
> morning.  After writing this up, went back to R-force to reinstall a working
> copy of rJava, but it seems they have now pulled the rJava library so I am
> now stuck with two broken libraries.  Thought the problem might be with R
> 2.15.1.  Installed 2.15.0 but same results.  One other point: at one time
> last night there was a window popping up with a warning message - something
> to do with "Rf_copyListMatrix".  That window is not coming up this morning.
> Let me know if there is anything else you need to figure this out.

Found the problem on this.  This is a new computer and does not have Java installed.  Loaded JDK and everything is working.  Thanks.