[SoC] R and Google Summer of Code 2010: Call for Proposals

[SoC] R and Google Summer of Code 2010: Call for Proposals

Dirk Eddelbuettel

Google Summer of Code 2010 ("GSoC 2010") is starting in a few weeks and now
is the time to collect ideas.  At this point this is all we need: a list of
possible projects which will help the sponsor (ie Google) assess how serious
and prepared the R Project is, and how many slots we should get allocated.
For the record, we had four in both 2008 and 2009.

More details (incl timelines) about Summer of Code are at
http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/faqs

So let us all start now by proposing some ideas for 2010.  It may make sense
to centralize and standardize this on wiki.r-project.org but until we have
that process sorted out lets just post ideas here on r-devel with a [SoC] tag
in the Subject: line.

Now: we need more than just an idea for a topic. To make this meaningful and
concrete, please send

 - a brief project summary in a just a few words ("headline summary")

 - a more detailed description, with references or links to related work

 - a list of skill requirements (programming languages, experience,
   methodologies, ...) for the prospective student

 - a test an applicant will have to pass in order to qualify for the topic
   (as topics will often attract multiple applicants this helps to find the
   truly qualified and motivated student ready to take this on over the three
   months period)

 - a mentor for the topic (which may well be you!)

For reference, previous R projects are summarized at
        http://www.r-project.org/soc09/
        http://www.r-project.org/soc08/
and both pages have links to the respective ideas list.  Ideas were posted
here before; see the mailing list archives.

Thanks,  Dirk

--
  Registration is open for the 2nd International conference R / Finance 2010
  See http://www.RinFinance.com for details, and see you in Chicago in April!

Re: [SoC] R and Google Summer of Code 2010: Call for Proposals

hadley wickham
> So let us all start now by proposing some ideas for 2010.  It may make sense
> to centralize and standardize this on wiki.r-project.org but until we have
> that process sorted out lets just post ideas here on r-devel with a [SoC] tag
> in the Subject: line.

One idea per email?

Hadley

http://had.co.nz/

On 23 February 2010 at 22:06, hadley wickham wrote:
| > So let us all start now by proposing some ideas for 2010.  It may make sense
| > to centralize and standardize this on wiki.r-project.org but until we have
| > that process sorted out lets just post ideas here on r-devel with a [SoC] tag
| > in the Subject: line.
|
| One idea per email?

Sure, works as a start. Or mayb better as one wiki.r-project.org entry per
idea because then we can all edit these rather having to noodle through
emails.  But I am unsure where to 'hang this' in the wiki namespace.  We
could also create a one-off at wikispaces.com or wikidot.comIf you have
another scratch wiki somewhere....

Dirk

--
  Registration is open for the 2nd International conference R / Finance 2010
  See http://www.RinFinance.com for details, and see you in Chicago in April!

Re: [SoC] R and Google Summer of Code 2010: Call for Proposals

Friedrich Leisch

  > On 23 February 2010 at 22:06, hadley wickham wrote:
  > | > So let us all start now by proposing some ideas for 2010.  It may make sense
  > | > to centralize and standardize this on wiki.r-project.org but until we have
  > | > that process sorted out lets just post ideas here on r-devel with a [SoC] tag
  > | > in the Subject: line.
  > |
  > | One idea per email?

  > Sure, works as a start. Or mayb better as one wiki.r-project.org entry per
  > idea because then we can all edit these rather having to noodle through
  > emails.  But I am unsure where to 'hang this' in the wiki namespace.  We
  > could also create a one-off at wikispaces.com or wikidot.comIf you have
  > another scratch wiki somewhere....

I think wiki.r-project.org would be a great place, I'd "hang it" into
the developers section. Then we could have a look at GSoC 2010 ideas
when GSoC 2011 arrives ...

Best,
Fritz

Re: [SoC] R and Google Summer of Code 2010: Call for Proposals

Philippe Grosjean
Hello,

I have created the "projects" subsection in "developers". The Google
Summer of Code 2010 is at
http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php?id=developers:projects:googlesummer2010

Best,

Philippe
..............................................<°}))><........
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Prof. Philippe Grosjean
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Numerical Ecology of Aquatic Systems
  ) ) ) ) )   Mons University, Belgium
( ( ( ( (

On 24 February 2010 at 11:09, Philippe Grosjean wrote:
| I have created the "projects" subsection in "developers". The Google
| Summer of Code 2010 is at
| http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php?id=developers:projects:googlesummer2010

We dediced to make this

   http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php?id=developers:projects:gsoc2010

to stick with the common 'GSoC' acronym.  So go ahead and submit ideas!

Dirk

--
  Registration is open for the 2nd International conference R / Finance 2010
  See http://www.RinFinance.com for details, and see you in Chicago in April!

Re: [SoC] R and Google Summer of Code 2010: Call for Proposals -

Claudia Beleites
May I ask for a bit of help?

I'd like to participate with my hyperSpec project. I set up a proposal page in
the wiki
[http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php?id=developers:projects:gsoc2010:hyperspec].

hyperSpec is about handling spectroscopic (hyperspectral) data in R. It is thus
a project that is aimed at a rather specific group of R users - far less broad
audience than the other projects listed there.

Is it OK if I have that project in that GSoC 2010 list?

I'd really appreciate comments!

Thanks,

Claudia

--
Claudia Beleites
Dipartimento dei Materiali e delle Risorse Naturali

phone: +39 0 40 5 58-37 68
email: [hidden email]

On 27 February 2010 at 18:20, Claudia Beleites wrote:
| May I ask for a bit of help?
|
| I'd like to participate with my hyperSpec project. I set up a proposal page in
| the wiki
| [http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php?id=developers:projects:gsoc2010:hyperspec].
|
| hyperSpec is about handling spectroscopic (hyperspectral) data in R. It is thus
| a project that is aimed at a rather specific group of R users - far less broad
| audience than the other projects listed there.
|
| Is it OK if I have that project in that GSoC 2010 list?

Of course! You had not linked to it from the overview page at

   http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php?id=developers:projects:gsoc2010

which I just corrected. The proposal looks great -- if R gets once again
accepted there will be a discussion and voting period for all of us to find
the proposals with the most merit given our allocation.

| I'd really appreciate comments!

Well as Rcpp (co-)maintainer, I would of course suggest that you use Rcpp to
interface the C++ libraries :)

Dirk