Some R code works on Linux, but not Linux via Windows Subsystem Linux

Some R code works on Linux, but not Linux via Windows Subsystem Linux

Robert Knight
RE: Some R code works on Linux, but not Linux via Windows Subsystem Linux

This is taking data from a CSV and placing it into a data frame.  This is R
3.6.3 inside Windows Subsystem for Linux v2, Ubuntu 18.04.   The exact same
code, unchanged and on the same computer, works correctly in Ubuntu 18.04
and other Linux systems directly if the computer is dual booted into one of
those rather than Windows.

    Error in FUN(X[[i]], …) :
      only defined on a data frame with all numeric variables
    Calls: Summary.data.frame -> lapply -> FUN

Any idea why the FUN function would error on Windows Subsytem for Linux,
but not Linux itself?  Any insight into the basic mechanism of how that
could vary between systems?  Haven't yet checked to see if the data is even
getting imported via WSL.  The script runs using Rscript as opposed to
running interactively via the R console.

Robert D. Knight, MBA

Developer of Meal Plan and Grocery List maker for Android and iOS.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.robertknight.MPGL
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/meal-plan-and-grocery-list/id1452755707

Re: Some R code works on Linux, but not Linux via Windows Subsystem Linux

Eric Berger
Hi Robert,
You don't provide a self-contained reproducible example, so I am just
guessing here.
I doubt your theory that the error is related to R. More likely the step
that creates a data frame from reading
the CSV is probably resulting in different data frames in the two cases. I
recommend that you compare the
data frames. (And, if they differ, it might be related to filenames,
directory structures, assumptions about these, etc.)
Another possibility is that you have R 4.* somewhere and there is, in fact,
a difference between R 3.* and R4.*
in terms of creating a data frame from a CSV file.

If my "guesses" are not correct, see if you can create a self-contained
reproducible example
(that does not depend on reading in the CSV. You can just provide the
contents of the data frame via dput().)
Then post the example to the list.

HTH,
Eric

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 1:47 PM Robert Knight <[hidden email]> wrote:

> RE: Some R code works on Linux, but not Linux via Windows Subsystem Linux
>
> This is taking data from a CSV and placing it into a data frame.  This is R
> 3.6.3 inside Windows Subsystem for Linux v2, Ubuntu 18.04.   The exact same
> code, unchanged and on the same computer, works correctly in Ubuntu 18.04
> and other Linux systems directly if the computer is dual booted into one of
> those rather than Windows.
>
>     Error in FUN(X[[i]], …) :
>       only defined on a data frame with all numeric variables
>     Calls: Summary.data.frame -> lapply -> FUN
>
> Any idea why the FUN function would error on Windows Subsytem for Linux,
> but not Linux itself?  Any insight into the basic mechanism of how that
> could vary between systems?  Haven't yet checked to see if the data is even
> getting imported via WSL.  The script runs using Rscript as opposed to
> running interactively via the R console.
>
> Robert D. Knight, MBA
>
> Developer of Meal Plan and Grocery List maker for Android and iOS.
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.robertknight.MPGL
> https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/meal-plan-and-grocery-list/id1452755707

Re: Some R code works on Linux, but not Linux via Windows Subsystem Linux

Tomas Kalibera
On 9/8/20 5:51 AM, Robert Knight wrote:

> RE: Some R code works on Linux, but not Linux via Windows Subsystem Linux
>
> This is taking data from a CSV and placing it into a data frame.  This is R
> 3.6.3 inside Windows Subsystem for Linux v2, Ubuntu 18.04.   The exact same
> code, unchanged and on the same computer, works correctly in Ubuntu 18.04
> and other Linux systems directly if the computer is dual booted into one of
> those rather than Windows.
>
>      Error in FUN(X[[i]], …) :
>        only defined on a data frame with all numeric variables
>      Calls: Summary.data.frame -> lapply -> FUN
>
> Any idea why the FUN function would error on Windows Subsytem for Linux,
> but not Linux itself?  Any insight into the basic mechanism of how that
> could vary between systems?  Haven't yet checked to see if the data is even
> getting imported via WSL.  The script runs using Rscript as opposed to
> running interactively via the R console.

Yes, I think you should just try importing the data (reading the CSV),
this is probably where things break. Then try also with a small trivial
variant of that CSV, ensuring it only has ASCII characters, as a sanity
check. So in other words, creating a minimal reproducible example. This
can be an encoding issue, for instance.

Tomas