Strange "no-echo" in place of "slave"

R devel mailing list
SVN revision replaces "slave" with "no-echo" in R devel.

In each of the following, "no-echo" is rather strange to me.

- src/gnuwin32/README.Rterm
3) As a no-echo process for ESS mode in NTEmacs with flag --ess.

- src/library/grDevices/src/qdCocoa.m
/* the no-echo thread work until this is NO */

Re: Strange "no-echo" in place of "slave"

Gabriel Becker-2
As far as I know, not being involved with the effort at all, they are
removing the term 'slave' and replacing it with 'no-echo' which is intended
to be fully synonmyous with the meaning of the old 'slave' term.

~G

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 10:56 PM suharto_anggono--- via R-devel <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> SVN revision replaces "slave" with "no-echo" in R devel.
>

> In each of the following, "no-echo" is rather strange to me.
>
> - src/gnuwin32/README.Rterm
> 3) As a no-echo process for ESS mode in NTEmacs with flag --ess.
>
> - src/library/grDevices/src/qdCocoa.m
> /* the no-echo thread work until this is NO */

Re: Strange "no-echo" in place of "slave"

Peter Dalgaard-2
The first of Suharno's examples can be viewed that way, because R under ESS is not a "slave" in the technical sense, just a situation where you do not want keyboard input to be echoed. "Non-echoing" might have been better language though.

The 2nd example really is of the master/slave variety, and to my knowledge nothing to do with echoing, so looks like a search-and-replace oversight. Presumably, "worker thread" (or thereabouts) would be a better replacement.

-pd

> On 6 Oct 2019, at 14:00 , Gabriel Becker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As far as I know, not being involved with the effort at all, they are
> removing the term 'slave' and replacing it with 'no-echo' which is intended
> to be fully synonmyous with the meaning of the old 'slave' term.
>
> ~G
>
> On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 10:56 PM suharto_anggono--- via R-devel <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> SVN revision replaces "slave" with "no-echo" in R devel.
>>

>> In each of the following, "no-echo" is rather strange to me.
>>
>> - src/gnuwin32/README.Rterm
>> 3) As a no-echo process for ESS mode in NTEmacs with flag --ess.
>>
>> - src/library/grDevices/src/qdCocoa.m
>> /* the no-echo thread work until this is NO */

Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Office: A 4.23

Re: Strange "no-echo" in place of "slave"

Martin Maechler

    > The first of Suharno's examples can be viewed that way,
    > because R under ESS is not a "slave" in the technical
    > sense, just a situation where you do not want keyboard
    > input to be echoed. "Non-echoing" might have been better
    > language though.

    > The 2nd example really is of the master/slave variety,
    > and to my knowledge nothing to do with echoing, so looks
    > like a search-and-replace oversight. Presumably, "worker
    > thread" (or thereabouts) would be a better replacement.

    > -pd

Yes indeed, thank you,  Suharto, Gabe and Peter.

I've updated the 2nd example (using "worker")

Martin