Supporting R/Membership

Joshua Wiley-2
Dear R Users,

I know issues like this have come up in the past.  I am wondering how
many people would be interested in an online mechanism for donating to
the R Foundation or for becoming supporting members.  Right now, the
link for it is somewhat buried on the R home page, and once you get
there, the options are to mail or fax a form.  IIRC, Paypal was not a
good option due to some fees, but just making the form submittable
online would make things a lot easier.  Also credit cards expire and
then new numbers need to be sent.

I printed the form to mail off, but anecdotally I had planned on this
for well over a year and kept putting it off.  If this is something
that useRs and the R Foundation would be interested in, I would be
happy to help work on setting something up and maintaining it.

Cheers,

Josh

--
Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology

Re: Supporting R/Membership

David Cross-2
For my part, knowing all of my (mostly bad) habits, I would only donate if I could do it online.  And I would be happy to donate!

Cheers

David Cross
[hidden email]
www.davidcross.us

On Sep 24, 2011, at 10:43 AM, Joshua Wiley wrote:

> Dear R Users,
>
> I know issues like this have come up in the past.  I am wondering how
> many people would be interested in an online mechanism for donating to
> the R Foundation or for becoming supporting members.  Right now, the
> link for it is somewhat buried on the R home page, and once you get
> there, the options are to mail or fax a form.  IIRC, Paypal was not a
> good option due to some fees, but just making the form submittable
> online would make things a lot easier.  Also credit cards expire and
> then new numbers need to be sent.
>
> I printed the form to mail off, but anecdotally I had planned on this
> for well over a year and kept putting it off.  If this is something
> that useRs and the R Foundation would be interested in, I would be
> happy to help work on setting something up and maintaining it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Josh
>

> --
> Joshua Wiley
> Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology
> Programmer Analyst II, ATS Statistical Consulting Group
> University of California, Los Angeles
> https://joshuawiley.com/

Re: Supporting R/Membership

Liviu Andronic
On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 5:43 PM, Joshua Wiley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I printed the form to mail off, but anecdotally I had planned on this
> for well over a year and kept putting it off.  If this is something
> that useRs and the R Foundation would be interested in, I would be
> happy to help work on setting something up and maintaining it.

If the R Core accepts this, I would very much prefer to have an
on-line system to make donations. Personally I would like to make a
donation, but I'm uncomfortable with sending my credit card details by
mail.

Regards
Liviu

Re: Supporting R/Membership

Joshua Wiley-2
So we have at least three people interested, maybe not call for a
totally new system.  What about a PDF form that could be filled out
digitally, saved, encrypted using the R Foundation's public key, and
emailed?  GPG keys are free, and I can make a fillable PDF.  Is that
sufficiently secure?  Are there risks I am missing?  In fact, attached
is a sample of how the form could work.  For the overall signature,
you could just retype your name, but for the credit card, the field is
a digital signature.

I know what you mean about being uncomfortable sending credit card
details by mail---I'd almost just as well send it in plain text via
email as plain text via post.

Anymore thoughts?  I did check out Paypal again, even for a nonprofit,
there is a 2.2% transaction fee + additional fees for currency
conversion + international fees.

Josh

--
Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology
Programmer Analyst II, ATS Statistical Consulting Group
University of California, Los Angeles
https://joshuawiley.com/

membership-application_fillable_JW.pdf (89K) Download Attachment

Re: Supporting R/Membership

Berend Hasselman
Joshua Wiley-2 wrote
[...]

I would also be interested.
A similar pdf form for donations could also be considered.

It's most likely I would want to transfer money directly into the R bank account.

Berend

Re: Supporting R/Membership

Spencer Graves-2
On 9/25/2011 9:57 AM, Berend Hasselman wrote:

> Joshua Wiley-2 wrote:
>> So we have at least three people interested, maybe not call for a
>> totally new system.  What about a PDF form that could be filled out
>> digitally, saved, encrypted using the R Foundation's public key, and
>> emailed?  GPG keys are free, and I can make a fillable PDF.  Is that
>> sufficiently secure?  Are there risks I am missing?  In fact, attached
>> is a sample of how the form could work.  For the overall signature,
>> you could just retype your name, but for the credit card, the field is
>> a digital signature.
>>
>> I know what you mean about being uncomfortable sending credit card
>> details by mail---I'd almost just as well send it in plain text via
>> email as plain text via post.
>>
>> Anymore thoughts?  I did check out Paypal again, even for a nonprofit,
>> there is a 2.2% transaction fee + additional fees for currency
>> conversion + international fees.

       Just brainstorming:

             1.  What are the charges for alternative methods of
payment?  Josh said Paypal charges 2.2 percent.  What about various
credit and debit card clearing services plus paper checks and electronic
funds transfers?

             2.  In which locations and currencies does the R Project
incur costs?

             3.  Answers to these two questions could help us design a
system that makes it easy for people to contribute while also maximizing
the portion of the money contributed that actually supports the R
Project (minimizing losses to bank charges).  [Getting this information
is not easy, because financial institutions have innovated to increase
the complexity of the services they offer, because this makes it easy
for them to charge higher fees then they could if consumers could more
easily compare what are essentially commodity services.  See, e.g.,
Stiglitz 2010 Freefall, Norton, esp. ch. 6.]

       My biases are to avoid if possibly the large multinational banks,
because the evidence I've seen (e.g., from Stiglitz and others) is that
the largest banks are primary drivers of political corruption and
instability in the global financial markets.  My biases tend toward
credit unions, at least some and perhaps all of which are officially
owned by their customers and are legally constrained in their lending
practices to avoid the most risky and destabilizing types of
investments.  However, those are issues largely independent of what the
R Project can do to maximize revenue from contributions and ease of
managing its finances while minimizing losses to bank charges.

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer

>> Josh
>>
> I would also be interested.
> A similar pdf form for donations could also be considered.
>
> It's most likely I would want to transfer money directly into the R bank
> account.
>
> Berend

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer
751 Emerson Ct.
San José, CA 95126
ph:  408-655-4567
web:  www.structuremonitoring.com

Re: Supporting R/Membership

bbolker
Spencer Graves <spencer.graves <at> structuremonitoring.com> writes:

> [...]
> the largest banks are primary drivers of political corruption and
> instability in the global financial markets.  My biases tend toward
> credit unions, at least some and perhaps all of which are officially
> owned by their customers and are legally constrained in their lending
> practices to avoid the most risky and destabilizing types of
> investments.  However, those are issues largely independent of what the
> R Project can do to maximize revenue from contributions and ease of
> managing its finances while minimizing losses to bank charges.
>
>        Best Wishes,
>        Spencer
>

> >> Josh
> >>
> > I would also be interested.
> > A similar pdf form for donations could also be considered.
> >
> > It's most likely I would want to transfer money directly into the R bank

  Just a few cents on this topic. By extrapolation from previous
conversations with one R-core member and general observation of the R
scene, and at the risk of putting words in their mouths (they can
always speak up if they disagree), R-core are not tremendously
interested in increasing the stream of donations. They would be
unlikely to object, but because almost any major expansion of revenue
would mean a lot more time doing R administration (i.e. figuring out
how to spend the money and spending it), my impression is that they feel that
getting lots more money would be more trouble than it's worth.

Of course, anyone else could set up an "R bank" (they could then send
the money to the R foundation, or alternatively disburse it in some
sensible way as specified in advance or requested by the donor --
e.g. administering a bounty system, giving grants, etc.)  -- if people
trusted them not to run off with the money. But then whoever it was
would have to deal with all the administration, establish non-profit
status to avoid tax burden, etc ...

  http://www.r-project.org/foundation/donations.html states that the R
foundation is not registered as a non-profit organization in the US,
which might make it difficult to get Paypal non-profit rates (I don't
know how they go about deciding on the status of a foreign non-profit
...)

  My own personal feeling is that if anyone can figure out how to do
this, even a 2 or 3% banking overhead would be worth it -- 97% of
something is a lot more than 99% or 100% of nothing!

Re: Supporting R/Membership

Joshua Wiley-2
Thanks for the insight, Ben.  I can appreciate not wanting the hassle
of administration, and I suppose there are already sufficient funds
for the fixed costs of stuff like the website.

I like the idea of an intermediary that would handle all the issues
related to donations, non-profit, etc.  Then funds could periodically
be transfered to the R Foundation or if there were specific related
community projects (useR and crantastic come to mind), it could also
support those.  I do not see a reasonable solution to the trust issue,
though.  The only people I think the community could get behind as
trustworthy are the developers, which gets right back to R core
dealing with administration.

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Ben Bolker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> e.g. administering a bounty system, giving grants, etc.)  -- if people
> trusted them not to run off with the money. But then whoever it was
> would have to deal with all the administration, establish non-profit
> status to avoid tax burden, etc ...
>
>  http://www.r-project.org/foundation/donations.html states that the R
> foundation is not registered as a non-profit organization in the US,
> which might make it difficult to get Paypal non-profit rates (I don't
> know how they go about deciding on the status of a foreign non-profit
> ...)
>
>  My own personal feeling is that if anyone can figure out how to do
> this, even a 2 or 3% banking overhead would be worth it -- 97% of
> something is a lot more than 99% or 100% of nothing!

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology
Programmer Analyst II, ATS Statistical Consulting Group

Fox, John
Dear Joshua and others,

Please excuse the slow response, but I wanted to consult other R Foundation members before answering.

The R Foundation is coincidentally discussing fund-raising and the use of funds that are raised by the Foundation. There are costs associated with keeping R going, such as the maintenance of CRAN and R-Forge, and there might well be other areas to which donations can be applied. If the R Foundation decides that it would be desirable to raise more funds, we'll consider your helpful suggestions about how to do so.

Best,
 John

John Fox
Senator William McMaster
  Professor of Social Statistics
Department of Sociology
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox

jaropis
If there is an ONLINE mechanism, I will donate.