Supressing printing from a function: ecdf

Supressing printing from a function: ecdf

Uzuner, Tolga I
Dear R Users,

I am trying to suppress the information printed by the ecdf function
during an assignment. Various alternatives have failed me so far:

> a=summary(ecdf(rnorm(100)))["1st Qu."]
Empirical CDF:    100 unique values with summary
> invisible(a=summary(ecdf(rnorm(100)))["1st Qu."])
Empirical CDF:    100 unique values with summary
> (function() invisible(a=summary(ecdf(rnorm(100)))["1st Qu."])) ()
Empirical CDF:    100 unique values with summary

It's the "Empirical CDF:    100 unique values with summary" bit that I
would like to supress. Any way to achieve this result ?

Thanks in advance,
Tolga

Generally, this communication is for informational purposes only
and it is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase
or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation
of any transaction. In the event you are receiving the offering
materials attached below related to your interest in hedge funds or
private equity, this communication may be intended as an offer or
solicitation for the purchase or sale of such fund(s).  All market
prices, data and other information are not warranted as to
completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice.
Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect
those of JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates.

copy format. Thank you.
Please refer to http://www.jpmorgan.com/pages/disclosures for
disclosures relating to UK legal entities.

Re: Supressing printing from a function: ecdf

Patrick Burns
If you do:

getAnywhere('summary.ecdf')

you will see the 'cat' statement that is doing
the printing that is annoying you.

It seems to me that a better definition of the
function would have an argument called something
like 'verbose' that controlled if the 'cat' statement
was executed.

I'm not sure of the best advice for the current
situation.

Patrick Burns
[hidden email]
+44 (0)20 8525 0696
http://www.burns-stat.com

[hidden email] wrote:

> Dear R Users,
>
> I am trying to suppress the information printed by the ecdf function
> during an assignment. Various alternatives have failed me so far:
>

>> a=summary(ecdf(rnorm(100)))["1st Qu."]
>>
> Empirical CDF:    100 unique values with summary
>
>> invisible(a=summary(ecdf(rnorm(100)))["1st Qu."])
>>
> Empirical CDF:    100 unique values with summary
>
>> (function() invisible(a=summary(ecdf(rnorm(100)))["1st Qu."])) ()
>>
> Empirical CDF:    100 unique values with summary
>

> It's the "Empirical CDF:    100 unique values with summary" bit that I
> would like to supress. Any way to achieve this result ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Tolga
>
> Generally, this communication is for informational purposes only
> and it is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase
> or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation
> of any transaction. In the event you are receiving the offering
> materials attached below related to your interest in hedge funds or
> private equity, this communication may be intended as an offer or
> solicitation for the purchase or sale of such fund(s).  All market
> prices, data and other information are not warranted as to
> completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice.
> Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect
> those of JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates.

> confidential, legally privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure
> under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you
> are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or
> use of the information contained herein (including any reliance
> thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Although this transmission and any
> attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect
> that might affect any computer system into which it is received and
> opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it
> is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by JPMorgan Chase &
> Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as applicable, for any loss
> or damage arising in any way from its use. If you received this
> transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and
> destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
> copy format. Thank you.
> Please refer to http://www.jpmorgan.com/pages/disclosures for
> disclosures relating to UK legal entities.

Re: Supressing printing from a function: ecdf

Prof Brian Ripley
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Patrick Burns wrote:

> If you do:
>
> getAnywhere('summary.ecdf')
>
> you will see the 'cat' statement that is doing
> the printing that is annoying you.
>
> It seems to me that a better definition of the
> function would have an argument called something
> like 'verbose' that controlled if the 'cat' statement
> was executed.

The standard advice is to have a separate print() methods for the
summary() method.

> I'm not sure of the best advice for the current
> situation.

Use sink(), perhaps via capture.output()?

> Patrick Burns
> [hidden email]
> +44 (0)20 8525 0696
> http://www.burns-stat.com
> (home of S Poetry and "A Guide for the Unwilling S User")
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
>> Dear R Users,
>>
>> I am trying to suppress the information printed by the ecdf function during
>> an assignment. Various alternatives have failed me so far:
>>

>>> a=summary(ecdf(rnorm(100)))["1st Qu."]
>>>
>> Empirical CDF:    100 unique values with summary
>>
>>> invisible(a=summary(ecdf(rnorm(100)))["1st Qu."])
>>>
>> Empirical CDF:    100 unique values with summary
>>
>>> (function() invisible(a=summary(ecdf(rnorm(100)))["1st Qu."])) ()
>>>
>> Empirical CDF:    100 unique values with summary
>>
>> It's the "Empirical CDF:    100 unique values with summary" bit that I
>> would like to supress. Any way to achieve this result ?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Tolga
>>
>> Generally, this communication is for informational purposes only
>> and it is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase
>> or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation
>> of any transaction. In the event you are receiving the offering
>> materials attached below related to your interest in hedge funds or
>> private equity, this communication may be intended as an offer or
>> solicitation for the purchase or sale of such fund(s).  All market
>> prices, data and other information are not warranted as to
>> completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice.
>> Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect
>> those of JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates.
>>
>> This transmission may contain information that is privileged,
>> confidential, legally privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure
>> under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you
>> are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or
>> use of the information contained herein (including any reliance
>> thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Although this transmission and any
>> attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect
>> that might affect any computer system into which it is received and
>> opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it
>> is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by JPMorgan Chase &
>> Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as applicable, for any loss
>> or damage arising in any way from its use. If you received this
>> transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and
>> destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
>> copy format. Thank you.
>> Please refer to http://www.jpmorgan.com/pages/disclosures for
>> disclosures relating to UK legal entities.
>> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: Supressing printing from a function: ecdf

Ivar Herfindal
Hello

Since the summary.ecdf function first do a "cat", and then calls
summary(knots(object),...) , I guess you will obtain the same result
without the printing, by just use the latter part of the summary.ecdf
function like this:

a <- summary(knots(ecdf(rnorm(100))))["1st Qu."]

Hope this helps

Ivar

Patrick Burns skrev:

> [...]
>> thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Although this transmission and any
>> attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect
>> that might affect any computer system into which it is received and
>> opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it
>> is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by JPMorgan Chase &
>> Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as applicable, for any loss
>> or damage arising in any way from its use. If you received this
>> transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and
>> destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
>> copy format. Thank you.
>> Please refer to http://www.jpmorgan.com/pages/disclosures for
>> disclosures relating to UK legal entities.
>>     [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: Supressing printing from a function: ecdf

Many thanks all for the response, this worked.

Hi Martin, the "verbose"  recommendation below would be very useful if
this could be considered for a future release of stats/ecdf.

Regards,
Tolga

Ivar Herfindal <[hidden email]>
15/07/2008 10:38
Please respond to

Patrick Burns <[hidden email]>
cc
[hidden email], [hidden email]
Subject
Re: [R] Supressing printing from a function: ecdf