Suspect error in windows version of 3.60

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Suspect error in windows version of 3.60

Len Weil
Gentlemen,

 

I've observed a suspected bug in R-3.60 for Windows 10.

I am using the latest R version, but I have observed the same error in all
releases: alpha, beta RC and released.

Also the same issue occurs in the 32 and 64 bit GUI versions.  The program
header I invoke is:

 

R version 3.6.0 Patched (2019-04-26 r76431) -- "Planting of a Tree"

Copyright (C) 2019 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing

Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

 

Specifically, the menu selection Packages -> install packages fails.

When invoked, it simply echoes: utils:::menuInstallPkgs() and returns the
prompt.

 

I found the underlying code with the getAnywhere function.

It displays:

getAnywhere(menuInstallPkgs)

A single object matching 'menuInstallPkgs' was found

It was found in the following places

  namespace:utils

with value

 

function (type = getOption("pkgType"))

{

    install.packages(NULL, .libPaths()[1L], dependencies = NA,

        type = type)

}

<bytecode: 0x0000000016c6a730>

<environment: namespace:utils>

 

The first argument, NULL, prevents the underlying function install.packages
from working.

I assume this is not intentional awaiting packages to catch up with the
newer R format.

 

Thanks,

Len Weil

 

[hidden email]


        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suspect error in windows version of 3.60

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 27/04/2019 10:30 a.m., Len Weil wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>
>  
>
> I've observed a suspected bug in R-3.60 for Windows 10.
>
> I am using the latest R version, but I have observed the same error in all
> releases: alpha, beta RC and released.
>
> Also the same issue occurs in the 32 and 64 bit GUI versions.  The program
> header I invoke is:
>
>  
>
> R version 3.6.0 Patched (2019-04-26 r76431) -- "Planting of a Tree"
>
> Copyright (C) 2019 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
>
> Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
>
>  
>
> Specifically, the menu selection Packages -> install packages fails.
>
> When invoked, it simply echoes: utils:::menuInstallPkgs() and returns the
> prompt.
>
>  
>
> I found the underlying code with the getAnywhere function.
>
> It displays:
>
> getAnywhere(menuInstallPkgs)
>
> A single object matching 'menuInstallPkgs' was found
>
> It was found in the following places
>
>    namespace:utils
>
> with value
>
>  
>
> function (type = getOption("pkgType"))
>
> {
>
>      install.packages(NULL, .libPaths()[1L], dependencies = NA,
>
>          type = type)
>
> }
>
> <bytecode: 0x0000000016c6a730>
>
> <environment: namespace:utils>
>
>  
>
> The first argument, NULL, prevents the underlying function install.packages
> from working.

No, it is documented to trigger presentation of a list of packages to
install.  That list takes time to download from CRAN, so perhaps you are
just too impatient to wait for it, or perhaps it really is broken:  but
the NULL is not the issue.

Duncan Murdoch

> I assume this is not intentional awaiting packages to catch up with the
> newer R format.
>
>  
>
> Thanks,
>
> Len Weil
>
>  
>
> [hidden email]
>
>
> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]
>
> ______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
>

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suspect error in windows version of 3.60

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 27/04/2019 2:46 p.m., Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 27/04/2019 10:30 a.m., Len Weil wrote:
>> Gentlemen,
>>
>>    
>>
>> I've observed a suspected bug in R-3.60 for Windows 10.
>>
>> I am using the latest R version, but I have observed the same error in all
>> releases: alpha, beta RC and released.
>>
>> Also the same issue occurs in the 32 and 64 bit GUI versions.  The program
>> header I invoke is:
>>
>>    
>>
>> R version 3.6.0 Patched (2019-04-26 r76431) -- "Planting of a Tree"
>>
>> Copyright (C) 2019 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
>>
>> Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
>>
>>    
>>
>> Specifically, the menu selection Packages -> install packages fails.
>>
>> When invoked, it simply echoes: utils:::menuInstallPkgs() and returns the
>> prompt.
>>
>>    
>>
>> I found the underlying code with the getAnywhere function.
>>
>> It displays:
>>
>> getAnywhere(menuInstallPkgs)
>>
>> A single object matching 'menuInstallPkgs' was found
>>
>> It was found in the following places
>>
>>     namespace:utils
>>
>> with value
>>
>>    
>>
>> function (type = getOption("pkgType"))
>>
>> {
>>
>>       install.packages(NULL, .libPaths()[1L], dependencies = NA,
>>
>>           type = type)
>>
>> }
>>
>> <bytecode: 0x0000000016c6a730>
>>
>> <environment: namespace:utils>
>>
>>    
>>
>> The first argument, NULL, prevents the underlying function install.packages
>> from working.
>
> No, it is documented to trigger presentation of a list of packages to
> install.  That list takes time to download from CRAN, so perhaps you are
> just too impatient to wait for it, or perhaps it really is broken:  but
> the NULL is not the issue.
>

Sorry, you were right.  The docs in 3.6.0 have changed:  now the pkgs
argument must be missing to trigger the menu.  The NULL is not missing,
it is interpreted as specifying no packages.

Duncan Murdoch

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Suspect error in windows version of 3.60

Martin Maechler
>>>>> Duncan Murdoch
>>>>>     on Sat, 27 Apr 2019 15:00:20 -0400 writes:

    > On 27/04/2019 2:46 p.m., Duncan Murdoch wrote:
    >> On 27/04/2019 10:30 a.m., Len Weil wrote:
    >>> Gentlemen,
    >>>
    >>> I've observed a suspected bug in R-3.60 for Windows 10.
    >>>
    >>> I am using the latest R version, but I have observed the same error in all
    >>> releases: alpha, beta RC and released.
    >>>
    >>> Also the same issue occurs in the 32 and 64 bit GUI versions.  The program
    >>> header I invoke is:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> R version 3.6.0 Patched (2019-04-26 r76431) -- "Planting of a Tree"
    >>> Copyright (C) 2019 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
    >>> Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
    >>>
    >>> Specifically, the menu selection Packages -> install packages fails.
    >>>
    >>> When invoked, it simply echoes: utils:::menuInstallPkgs() and returns the
    >>> prompt.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> I found the underlying code with the getAnywhere function.
    >>>
    >>> It displays:
    >>>
    >>> getAnywhere(menuInstallPkgs)
    >>>
    >>> A single object matching 'menuInstallPkgs' was found
    >>> It was found in the following places
    >>> namespace:utils
    >>> with value
    >>>
    >>> function (type = getOption("pkgType"))
    >>> {
    >>>   install.packages(NULL, .libPaths()[1L], dependencies = NA,
    >>>                    type = type)
    >>> }
    >>>
    >>> <bytecode: 0x0000000016c6a730>
    >>> <environment: namespace:utils>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> The first argument, NULL, prevents the underlying function install.packages
    >>> from working.
    >>
    >> No, it is documented to trigger presentation of a list of packages to
    >> install.  That list takes time to download from CRAN, so perhaps you are
    >> just too impatient to wait for it, or perhaps it really is broken:  but
    >> the NULL is not the issue.
    >>

    > Sorry, you were right.  The docs in 3.6.0 have changed:  now the pkgs
    > argument must be missing to trigger the menu.  The NULL is not missing,
    > it is interpreted as specifying no packages.

    > Duncan Murdoch

Thank you, Len and Duncan;
Duncan additionally for the formal R bug report with patch PR#17556 :
https://bugs.r-project.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=17556

I cannot easily build R for windows from the sources either, but
committed Duncan's fix to the R-devel sources for now,
in svn rev 76434,  so we can all install a binary version of
R-devel for Windows (>= rev 76434) in a day or two
from CRAN https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rdevel.html
thanks to Jeroen Ooms'  autobuilder.

If that confirms the problem fixed, we will of course port it to
R 3.6.0 patched, so it will be in R 3.6.1 (which is *not* scheduled yet).

Martin Maechler
ETH Zurich and R Core Team

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel