System Requirements

R help mailing list-2
Hello,

  Reading the FAQ, I'm confused about whether R 4.0.2 is tested on Windows 7.  I found the following:

> 2.24 Does R run under Windows Vista/7/8/Server 2008?
>
> It does. ...

> 2.2 How do I install R for Windows?
>
> Current binary versions of R are known to run on Windows 7 or later, including on 64-bit versions: See Can I use R on 64-bit Windows?. Windows > XP is no longer supported.
>
> We only test on versions of Windows currently supported by Microsoft, mainly 64-bit Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 10. ...

  There is no indication what date these questions and answers were posted.  If it's true that R is only tested on supported versions of Windows, that would exclude Vista and Windows 7.

  The download site doesn't mention operating system requirements.  Does 4.0.2 work on Windows 7?

Thank you,

Mike

Re: System Requirements

Patrick (Malone Quantitative)
Try it and see?

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 11:44 AM Firpo, Mike via R-help <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   Reading the FAQ, I'm confused about whether R 4.0.2 is tested on Windows
> 7.  I found the following:
>
> > 2.24 Does R run under Windows Vista/7/8/Server 2008?
> >
> > It does. ...
>
> > 2.2 How do I install R for Windows?
> >
> > Current binary versions of R are known to run on Windows 7 or later,
> including on 64-bit versions: See Can I use R on 64-bit Windows?. Windows >
> XP is no longer supported.
> >
> > We only test on versions of Windows currently supported by Microsoft,
> mainly 64-bit Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 10. ...
>
>   There is no indication what date these questions and answers were
> posted.  If it's true that R is only tested on supported versions of
> Windows, that would exclude Vista and Windows 7.
>
>   The download site doesn't mention operating system requirements.  Does
> 4.0.2 work on Windows 7?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mike

Patrick S. Malone, Ph.D., Malone Quantitative
NEW Service Models: http://malonequantitative.com

He/Him/His

Re: System Requirements

Rui Barradas

Yes, R 4.0.2 works on Windows 7. As for Vista, I don't know, never tried.

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas

Às 18:52 de 21/08/20, Firpo, Mike via R-help escreveu:

> Hello,
>
>    Reading the FAQ, I'm confused about whether R 4.0.2 is tested on Windows 7.  I found the following:
>
>> 2.24 Does R run under Windows Vista/7/8/Server 2008?
>>
>> It does. ...
>
>> 2.2 How do I install R for Windows?
>>
>> Current binary versions of R are known to run on Windows 7 or later, including on 64-bit versions: See Can I use R on 64-bit Windows?. Windows > XP is no longer supported.
>>
>> We only test on versions of Windows currently supported by Microsoft, mainly 64-bit Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 10. ...
>
>    There is no indication what date these questions and answers were posted.  If it's true that R is only tested on supported versions of Windows, that would exclude Vista and Windows 7.
>
>    The download site doesn't mention operating system requirements.  Does 4.0.2 work on Windows 7?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mike

Re: System Requirements

Duncan Murdoch-2
I don't know the answer to your main question, but if you're interested
in knowing when that was written, you can see here

https://github.com/wch/r-source/blame/trunk/doc/manual/R-FAQ.texi

for the main FAQ, and here:

https://github.com/wch/r-source/blame/trunk/doc/manual/rw-FAQ.texi

for the Windows FAQ.  The particular entries you were asking about were
in the Windows FAQ and most recently updated 5 years ago (2.24) or 4
months ago (2.2).  So there's a good chance that 2.2 is still valid,
though like any documentation, it can get out of date without anyone
noticing.  If you do find that R fails to run on Windows 7, you should
like R Core know.

Duncan Murdoch

On 21/08/2020 1:52 p.m., Firpo, Mike via R-help wrote:

> Hello,
>
>    Reading the FAQ, I'm confused about whether R 4.0.2 is tested on Windows 7.  I found the following:
>
>> 2.24 Does R run under Windows Vista/7/8/Server 2008?
>>
>> It does. ...
>
>> 2.2 How do I install R for Windows?
>>
>> Current binary versions of R are known to run on Windows 7 or later, including on 64-bit versions: See Can I use R on 64-bit Windows?. Windows > XP is no longer supported.
>>
>> We only test on versions of Windows currently supported by Microsoft, mainly 64-bit Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 10. ...
>
>    There is no indication what date these questions and answers were posted.  If it's true that R is only tested on supported versions of Windows, that would exclude Vista and Windows 7.
>
>    The download site doesn't mention operating system requirements.  Does 4.0.2 work on Windows 7?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mike

Re: System Requirements

Rasmus Liland-3
Dear Mike,

On 2020-08-22 11:50 -0400, Patrick (Malone Quantitative) wrote:
| On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 11:44 AM Firpo, Mike wrote:
| |
| | Hello,
| |
| | Reading the FAQ, I'm confused about
| | whether R 4.0.2 is tested on Windows
| | 7.  I found the following:
| |
| | | 2.24 Does R run under Windows
| | |   Vista/7/8/Server 2008?
| | |
| | | It does. ...
| | |
| | | 2.2 How do I install R for Windows?
| | |
| | | Current binary versions of R are
| | | known to run on Windows 7 or
| | | later, including on 64-bit
| | | versions: See Can I use R on
| | | 64-bit Windows?. Windows XP is
| | | no longer supported.
| | |
| | | We only test on versions of
| | | Windows currently supported by
| | | Microsoft, mainly 64-bit Windows
| | | 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows
| | | 10. ...
| |
| | There is no indication what date
| | these questions and answers were
| | posted.

You have to dig around like a dog in SVN
or on github.  I found in
doc/manual/Makefile.in that rw-FAQ.html
comes from rw-FAQ.texi; the 3.6.0
version is in qinwang's account[1],
selecting blame for line 623 and 150
shows[2][3] that this was written around
ten years ago by ripley.

Maybe you can get a SVN viewer for
Windows and pull trunk[4] to look
around.

| | If it's true that R is only
| | tested on supported versions of
| | Windows, that would exclude Vista
| | and Windows 7.
| |
| | The download site doesn't mention
| | operating system requirements.  Does
| | 4.0.2 work on Windows 7?
|
| Try it and see?

This table[5] says Windows XP was the
latest deprecated version.

Maybe look into running something like
Linux Mint?

Best,
Rasmus

[1] https://github.com/qinwang/R/blob/master/doc/manual/rw-FAQ.texi#L623
[2] https://github.com/qinwang/R/commit/5b8d4d50aa8ac7989dec5d3c571c89c1dd6d6466
[3] https://github.com/qinwang/R/commit/dc8e21174441426237c6af1dff697784eac8d7c1
[4] https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/
[5] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_(programming_language)#Milestones

Re: System Requirements

R help mailing list-2
Patrick, Rui, Murdoch, and Rasmus,

  Thank you for your responses.  It may not be fair of me to send out that request just before leaving on vacation for a week.  I appreciate you getting back to me.

All the best,

Mike

On 2020-08-22 11:50 -0400, Patrick (Malone Quantitative) wrote:
| On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 11:44 AM Firpo, Mike wrote:
| |
| | Hello,
| |
| | Reading the FAQ, I'm confused about whether R 4.0.2 is tested on
| | Windows 7.  I found the following:
| |
| | | 2.24 Does R run under Windows
| | |   Vista/7/8/Server 2008?
| | |
| | | It does. ...
| | |
| | | 2.2 How do I install R for Windows?
| | |
| | | Current binary versions of R are
| | | known to run on Windows 7 or
| | | later, including on 64-bit
| | | versions: See Can I use R on
| | | 64-bit Windows?. Windows XP is
| | | no longer supported.
| | |
| | | We only test on versions of
| | | Windows currently supported by
| | | Microsoft, mainly 64-bit Windows
| | | 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 10. ...
| |
| | There is no indication what date
| | these questions and answers were
| | posted.

You have to dig around like a dog in SVN or on github.  I found in doc/manual/Makefile.in that rw-FAQ.html comes from rw-FAQ.texi; the 3.6.0 version is in qinwang's account[1], selecting blame for line 623 and 150 shows[2][3] that this was written around ten years ago by ripley.

Maybe you can get a SVN viewer for
Windows and pull trunk[4] to look
around.

| | If it's true that R is only