Text editors for Sweave (rnw) files

Gregory Gentlemen
Hi fellow R-users,

Are there any text editors that recognize sweave (.rnw) files? I am running Windows Vista and in the past I used Tinn-R for R files but it (surprisingly) doesn't recognize rnw files and does not do any syntax highlighting for them.

Thanks in advance,
Greg

Re: Text editors for Sweave (rnw) files

Erik Iverson-2
Emacs with ESS would be one way to go.  When editing a RNW file in ESS, you can use a key combination to go from RNW directly to PS or PDF, which is nice.

Erik

Gabor Grothendieck
vim/gvim does syntax highlighting of R, Sweave and latex.

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Gregory Gentlemen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi fellow R-users,
>
> Are there any text editors that recognize sweave (.rnw) files? I am running Windows Vista and in the past I used Tinn-R for R files but it (surprisingly) doesn't recognize rnw files and does not do any syntax highlighting for them.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Greg

Re: Text editors for Sweave (rnw) files

Liviu Andronic
On 10/6/09, Gregory Gentlemen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Are there any text editors that recognize sweave (.rnw) files? I am running Windows Vista and in the past I used Tinn-R for R files but it (surprisingly) doesn't recognize rnw files and does not do any syntax highlighting for them.

Slightly off-topic reply. You can compose Sweave documents using LyX,
in which case you would not need syntax highlighting.
Liviu

Re: Text editors for Sweave (rnw) files

Steve Lianoglou-6

On Oct 6, 2009, at 12:30 PM, Gregory Gentlemen wrote:

> Hi fellow R-users,
>
> Are there any text editors that recognize sweave (.rnw) files? I am
> running Windows Vista and in the past I used Tinn-R for R files but
> it (surprisingly) doesn't recognize rnw files and does not do any
> syntax highlighting for them.

I don't run windows, but rumor has it that the e-texteditor is
supposed to support TextMate bundles. So, since TextMate has bundles
to support *.R, *.Rnw, *.Rd files, I would imagine the e editor could
work, too:

Editor:
http://www.e-texteditor.com/

Getting more bundles:
http://e-texteditor.com/wiki/index.php/Bundles#How_To_Get_More_Bundles

You'll see several R bundles here (for TextMate, which should
theoretically work for you)
http://svn.textmate.org/trunk/Bundles/

I suspect this would be the one you want:
http://svn.textmate.org/trunk/Bundles/R.tmbundle/

Hope that helps,
-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou
   |  Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
   |  Weill Medical College of Cornell University

Re: Text editors for Sweave (rnw) files

Giovanni Petris

Emacs + ESS does too.

Giovanni