Thank you

Bert Gunter
... and while I am at it, as this is the U.S. Thanksgiving...

My sincere thanks to the many R developers and documenters who
contribute large amounts of their personal time and effort to
developing, improving, and enhancing the accessibility of R for data
analysis and science. I believe it is fair to say that R has had as
much or more impact than Gosset's Student's T, and I fear that
academics who do much of this work do not receive the professional
recognition they deserve. I continue to be amazed and humbled by their
high quality and consummate professionalismism -- I could not live
without R.

Kind regards and best wishes to all,

-- Bert

Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics

Internal Contact Info:
Phone: 467-7374
Website:

Re: Thank you

djmuseR
Well said. +1

Dennis

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 6:43 AM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ... and while I am at it, as this is the U.S. Thanksgiving...
>
> My sincere thanks to the many R developers and documenters who
> contribute large amounts of their personal time and effort to
> developing, improving, and enhancing the accessibility of R for data
> analysis and science. I believe it is fair to say that R has had as
> much or more impact than Gosset's Student's T, and I fear that
> academics who do much of this work do not receive the professional
> recognition they deserve. I continue to be amazed and humbled by their
> high quality and consummate professionalismism -- I could not live
> without R.
>
> Kind regards and best wishes to all,
>
> -- Bert
>
> --
>
> Bert Gunter
> Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics
>
> Internal Contact Info:
> Phone: 467-7374
> Website:
> http://pharmadevelopment.roche.com/index/pdb/pdb-functional-groups/pdb-biostatistics/pdb-ncb-home.htm

Re: Thank you

Frank Harrell
Bert you said it better than I ever could.  What R creators, developers, and documenters do for us every day by how they effect our work as statisticians is something I would not know how to measure.  THANK YOU!
Frank
Bert Gunter wrote
... and while I am at it, as this is the U.S. Thanksgiving...

My sincere thanks to the many R developers and documenters who
contribute large amounts of their personal time and effort to
developing, improving, and enhancing the accessibility of R for data
analysis and science. I believe it is fair to say that R has had as
much or more impact than Gosset's Student's T, and I fear that
academics who do much of this work do not receive the professional
recognition they deserve. I continue to be amazed and humbled by their
high quality and consummate professionalismism -- I could not live
without R.

Kind regards and best wishes to all,

-- Bert

Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics

Internal Contact Info:
Phone: 467-7374
Website:

Frank Harrell

Re: Thank you

christiaan pauw-2
And from the side of a ordinary user who opened the page that read:
"Chapter 1: What is R?" two years ago to all of you on this list:
Since reading that first page things have changed so that I would get
through a normal working day without the software you create and the advice
you give.

Thank you to all of you
Christiaan

On 24 November 2011 18:00, Frank Harrell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bert you said it better than I ever could.  What R creators, developers,
> and
> documenters do for us every day by how they effect our work as
> statisticians
> is something I would not know how to measure.  THANK YOU!
> Frank
>
> Bert Gunter wrote
> >
> > ... and while I am at it, as this is the U.S. Thanksgiving...
> >
> > My sincere thanks to the many R developers and documenters who
> > contribute large amounts of their personal time and effort to
> > developing, improving, and enhancing the accessibility of R for data
> > analysis and science. I believe it is fair to say that R has had as
> > much or more impact than Gosset's Student's T, and I fear that
> > academics who do much of this work do not receive the professional
> > recognition they deserve. I continue to be amazed and humbled by their
> > high quality and consummate professionalismism -- I could not live
> > without R.
> >
> > Kind regards and best wishes to all,
> >
> > -- Bert
> >
> > --
> >
> > Bert Gunter
> > Genentech Nonclinical Biostatistics

Re: Thank you

Paul Hurley
On 24/11/11 14:43, Bert Gunter wrote:

> ... and while I am at it, as this is the U.S. Thanksgiving...
>
> My sincere thanks to the many R developers and documenters who
> contribute large amounts of their personal time and effort to
> developing, improving, and enhancing the accessibility of R for data
> analysis and science. I believe it is fair to say that R has had as
> much or more impact than Gosset's Student's T, and I fear that
> academics who do much of this work do not receive the professional
> recognition they deserve. I continue to be amazed and humbled by their
> high quality and consummate professionalismism -- I could not live
> without R.
>
> Kind regards and best wishes to all,
>
> -- Bert

and even though I'm (and many others) are the 'wrong' side of the pond,
I'd like to add my +1 to these thanks.

Thanks !

Paul.