To plot and to extract info from a plot

jacksonmrodrigues@gmail.com
Hi everybody,

I need help to plot (question 1) and to extract information from another
plot (question 2). Could anyone help me? I will be very grateful.
I do not know if I could enclose a figure here, so I saved it in my dropbox
at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/97ud54886cn6u8i/figure%20for%20r%20group.jpg?dl=0

My questions are based on this figure.

Question 1:
The first figure (Figure 1) is a compilation of time series of some
variables that I have to plot in parallel. However, this figure was made in
adobe Illustrator because I could not plot these time series in parallel
directly from R. Using R, I always get one box and one y axis for each
plot. So, How to make a figure like this (several curves in paralel with 1
y axis, and no x axis)  in R? I am asking because i have to plot about 50
curves in parallel and doing it in R would save a long time.

Question 2:
The second plot (Figure 2) is a smoothed curve through time in which each
peak indicates an independent event. I would like to know when exactly on
time (x axis) each one of these peaks ocurred. So, how to intercept the x
axis at the maximum value of a peak.

I appreciate any help.

Jackson Rodrigues

Re: To plot and to extract info from a plot

John Kane
I don't think we can do a lot with Q1 without some data. Data would probably help with Q2 as well.  Have a look at the following links especially on how to use dput() to supply sample data.

John Kane
Kingston ON Canada

David Winsemius

On Sep 19, 2015, at 3:25 PM, Jackson Rodrigues wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I need help to plot (question 1) and to extract information from another
> plot (question 2). Could anyone help me? I will be very grateful.
> I do not know if I could enclose a figure here, so I saved it in my dropbox
> at
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/97ud54886cn6u8i/figure%20for%20r%20group.jpg?dl=0
>
> My questions are based on this figure.
>
> Question 1:
> The first figure (Figure 1) is a compilation of time series of some
> variables that I have to plot in parallel. However, this figure was made in
> adobe Illustrator because I could not plot these time series in parallel
> directly from R. Using R, I always get one box and one y axis for each
> plot. So, How to make a figure like this (several curves in paralel with 1
> y axis, and no x axis)  in R? I am asking because i have to plot about 50
> curves in parallel and doing it in R would save a long time.

Inase graphics you would plot one series with `plot()` then add additonal series with `lines()`
> Question 2:
> The second plot (Figure 2) is a smoothed curve through time in which each
> peak indicates an independent event. I would like to know when exactly on
> time (x axis) each one of these peaks ocurred. So, how to intercept the x
> axis at the maximum value of a peak.

This looks like a densityplot. There are methods in all three R 2-D graphics paradigms.

If you need worked examples you need to provide data. Learn to use dput() for that purpose.

--

> I appreciate any help.
>
> Jackson Rodrigues

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA

Re: To plot and to extract info from a plot

Jim Lemon-4
HI Jackson,
This might get you started:

# plot a few squiggles
plot(runif(100)+1,seq(10000,0,length.out=100),xlim=c(1,6),
 type="l",main="Squiggles by Years",
 xlab="Squiggles",ylab="Years",xaxt="n")
lines(runif(100)+2,seq(10000,0,length.out=100))
lines(runif(100)+3,seq(10000,0,length.out=100))
lines(runif(100)+4,seq(10000,0,length.out=100))
lines(runif(100)+5,seq(10000,0,length.out=100))
axis(1,at=1:5+0.5,labels=1:5)

Jim