Trouble with plm in Ubuntu 9

Stephen J. Barr-2
Hello,

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question. I am running R on Ubuntu
9.

R version 2.9.2 (2009-08-24)

I am trying to work with plm. I think the library is installed, as I can do

> library(plm)
[1] "kinship is loaded"

Attaching package: 'zoo'

The following object(s) are masked from package:base :

 as.Date.numeric

which seems reasonable. However, it fails running the included example in
the help.

>     data("Produc", package="Ecdat")
>      zz <- plm(log(gsp)~log(pcap)+log(pc)+log(emp)+unemp, data=Produc,
index=c("state","year"))
Error in do.call("~", list(firstpart, as.name(i))) :
  object 'firstpart' not found
In addition: Warning messages:
1: In if (length(formula) == 2) formula <- expand.formula(formula) :
  the condition has length > 1 and only the first element will be used
2: In if (length(formula) == 1) part = "first" :
  the condition has length > 1 and only the first element will be used
3: In if (length(formula) == 2) part = "both" :
  the condition has length > 1 and only the first element will be used
4: In if (length(x) == 1) { :
  the condition has length > 1 and only the first element will be used
5: In if (length(x) == 2) { :
  the condition has length > 1 and only the first element will be used

At first I thought it was my code that was causing the error, but if it is
failing on the example from the ?plm page, then I figured I should start
there. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
-stephen

Re: Trouble with plm in Ubuntu 9

Jyotirmoy Bhattacharya
The example works fine for me. I am using the same version of R (2.9.2) from
the Ubuntu 9.10 AMD-64 repositories and plm version 1.2-3 downloaded from
CRAN.

One point. The plm help example loads the "Produc" dataset from the package
"plm" and not the package "Ecdat". Though I can get the example to run with
Ecdat 0.1-5 as well.

Jyotirmoy Bhattacharya