Troubles installing Rcmdr on Mac

CHAMPELY STEPHANE
Dear colleagues,
I try to help my (french) student since five days to install Rcmd for mac and they have (ALL of them, and I use windows so I am not very skilled for that task) the same problem. When they load Rcmd, some supplementary tools (in order to use the command "otool") are missing according a message and trying to download them leads to a message indicated that it is not at the present moment available (since Thursday last week...)
So the menu of the Rcmdr are "white". Any idea where this technical problem come from ?
Thank you fr any help !

Re: Troubles installing Rcmdr on Mac

Dr Eberhard W Lisse
Use RStudio.

But it can be that the command line tools are missing, which you (may) need to compile packages (from source).Ask one of them to open a terminal window and type the command ‘make —version’ without the ‘’) if that results in an error they need to enter ‘sudo xcode-select —install’ and then their password when asked.If that fixes the issue have all of them do that.

el

Sent from Dr Lisse’s iPhone
On 11 Jan 2021, 20:39 +0200, CHAMPELY STEPHANE <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
> I try to help my (french) student since five days to install Rcmd for mac and they have (ALL of them, and I use windows so I am not very skilled for that task) the same problem. When they load Rcmd, some supplementary tools (in order to use the command "otool") are missing according a message and trying to download them leads to a message indicated that it is not at the present moment available (since Thursday last week...)
> So the menu of the Rcmdr are "white". Any idea where this technical problem come from ?
> Thank you fr any help !

Re: Troubles installing Rcmdr on Mac

John Fox
Dear Stephane and Eberhard,

It should not be necessary to install Xcode (which includes otools) to
install and use the Rcmdr package on macOS because it shouldn't be
necessary to install the CRAN packages required from source. I'm
currently running the Rcmdr on two macOS 11.1 systems, with all CRAN
packages up-to-date, and don't have any problems.

Stephane, have you and your students checked the Rcmdr installation
notes (at
<https://socialsciences.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Misc/Rcmdr/installation-notes.html>)
and followed the instructions there? If you have, and still experience
this problem, it would help to have some more information about what
they did to install the Rcmdr and what happened.

In the meantime, I'll try a fresh install of the Rcmdr and dependencies
to see whether I encounter any difficulties.

Best,
  John

--
John Fox, Professor Emeritus
McMaster University

On 2021-01-11 1:55 p.m., Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote:

> Use RStudio.
>
> But it can be that the command line tools are missing, which you (may) need to compile packages (from source).Ask one of them to open a terminal window and type the command ‘make —version’ without the ‘’) if that results in an error they need to enter ‘sudo xcode-select —install’ and then their password when asked.If that fixes the issue have all of them do that.
>
> el
>
> —
> Sent from Dr Lisse’s iPhone
> On 11 Jan 2021, 20:39 +0200, CHAMPELY STEPHANE <[hidden email]>, wrote:
>> Dear colleagues,
>> I try to help my (french) student since five days to install Rcmd for mac and they have (ALL of them, and I use windows so I am not very skilled for that task) the same problem. When they load Rcmd, some supplementary tools (in order to use the command "otool") are missing according a message and trying to download them leads to a message indicated that it is not at the present moment available (since Thursday last week...)
>> So the menu of the Rcmdr are "white". Any idea where this technical problem come from ?
>> Thank you fr any help !
>>
>> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: Troubles installing Rcmdr on Mac

John Fox
Dear Stephane and Eberhard,

As an addendum to my previous response, I uninstalled the Rcmdr package
and all of its direct and indirect dependencies and then reinstalled the
package -- on a macOS 11.1 system running R 4.0.3 with all other
packages up-to-date.

I then reinstalled the Rcmdr and dependencies via the command
install.packages("Rcmdr"), and responded "no" when asked whether to
install some packages from source (perhaps this is the explanation for
the problem, if your students responded "yes" without having Xcode
installed).

Following these steps, everything (still) works fine. I therefore can't
duplicate your students' problem, which makes it hard to suggest how to
fix it, without having some additional details.

Best,
  John

On 2021-01-11 3:33 p.m., John Fox wrote:

> Dear Stephane and Eberhard,
>
> It should not be necessary to install Xcode (which includes otools) to
> install and use the Rcmdr package on macOS because it shouldn't be
> necessary to install the CRAN packages required from source. I'm
> currently running the Rcmdr on two macOS 11.1 systems, with all CRAN
> packages up-to-date, and don't have any problems.
>
> Stephane, have you and your students checked the Rcmdr installation
> notes (at
> <https://socialsciences.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Misc/Rcmdr/installation-notes.html>)
> and followed the instructions there? If you have, and still experience
> this problem, it would help to have some more information about what
> they did to install the Rcmdr and what happened.
>
> In the meantime, I'll try a fresh install of the Rcmdr and dependencies
> to see whether I encounter any difficulties.
>
> Best,
>   John

Re: Troubles installing Rcmdr on Mac

John Fox
Dear Stephane,

I've taken yet another look at this and have an additional suggestion
for your students to try:

        install.packages("Rcmdr", type="mac.binary")

That should avoid any attempt to install Rcmdr package dependencies from
source.

I hope this helps,
  John

On 2021-01-11 3:53 p.m., John Fox wrote:

> Dear Stephane and Eberhard,
>
> As an addendum to my previous response, I uninstalled the Rcmdr package
> and all of its direct and indirect dependencies and then reinstalled the
> package -- on a macOS 11.1 system running R 4.0.3 with all other
> packages up-to-date.
>
> I then reinstalled the Rcmdr and dependencies via the command
> install.packages("Rcmdr"), and responded "no" when asked whether to
> install some packages from source (perhaps this is the explanation for
> the problem, if your students responded "yes" without having Xcode
> installed).
>
> Following these steps, everything (still) works fine. I therefore can't
> duplicate your students' problem, which makes it hard to suggest how to
> fix it, without having some additional details.
>
> Best,
>   John
>

> On 2021-01-11 3:33 p.m., John Fox wrote:
>> Dear Stephane and Eberhard,
>>
>> It should not be necessary to install Xcode (which includes otools) to
>> install and use the Rcmdr package on macOS because it shouldn't be
>> necessary to install the CRAN packages required from source. I'm
>> currently running the Rcmdr on two macOS 11.1 systems, with all CRAN
>> packages up-to-date, and don't have any problems.
>>
>> Stephane, have you and your students checked the Rcmdr installation
>> notes (at
>> <https://socialsciences.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Misc/Rcmdr/installation-notes.html>)
>> and followed the instructions there? If you have, and still experience
>> this problem, it would help to have some more information about what
>> they did to install the Rcmdr and what happened.
>>
>> In the meantime, I'll try a fresh install of the Rcmdr and
>> dependencies to see whether I encounter any difficulties.
>>
>> Best,
>>   John

Re: Troubles installing Rcmdr on Mac

Dr Eberhard W Lisse
John,

what is wrong with installing Xcode’s command lime tools (not Xcode itself)?

Sent from Dr Lisse’s iPhone

Dear Eberhard,

On 2021-01-12 12:32 a.m., Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote:
> John,
>
> what is wrong with installing Xcode’s command lime tools (not Xcode itself)?

Nothing, and I did miss the distinction, but it shouldn't be necessary,
and the instructions for installing the Rcmdr are already more
complicated on macOS than on other platforms because of the necessity to
install XQuartz. Users should be able to install the Rcmdr package on
macOS without having to install packages from source.

Remember that Rcmdr users are typically students in basic statistics
courses, many of whom have limited software sophistication.
Unnecessarily complicating the installation is undesirable. Of course,
if it's necessary to complicate the installation, one has to live with that.

I'll be interested to learn whether my suggestions solve the problem. If
not, I can add an instruction concerning the Xcode tools to the Rcmdr
installation notes for macOS.

Thanks for your help,
  John

On 2021-01-12 1:48 a.m., CHAMPELY STEPHANE wrote:
> Dear John,
> thank you for these responses, we will try this... today. We carefully read the installation notes, but it is sometimes difficult to really check what was done by the students because in France, our lessons are online lessons (covid-19...)

Yes, the pandemic has made teaching very difficult. As a general matter,
it's been my experience that almost all Rcmdr installation problems are
on macOS. It's usually easy to help students get going in person, much
less so remotely.

Please let me know whether your students solve their problems, and if
so, how, so that I can update the Rcmdr installation notes, if necessary.

Also please keep the conversation on r-help so that others are able to
follow it.

Best,
  John

> All the best,
> Stéphane CHAMPELY
> Maître de conférences
> UFR STAPS , Laboratoire L-ViS, Université Lyon 1

maybe I misunderestimate the students :-)-O but there is not much
sophistication required to follow simple instructions while thinking
about what one is doing when doing so.  At least that was my generation
of students did.

If they can install XQuartz, they can install the command line tools.

And, it's not about RCmdr but about the source packages that you may
want to have to install for which the command line tools are required.

Finally, RStudio is so much easier and more powerful, that I wonder why
one is bothering with this including XQuartz.

greetings, el

On 12/01/2021 16:19, John Fox wrote:

> Dear Eberhard,
>
> On 2021-01-12 12:32 a.m., Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote:
>> John,
>>
>> what is wrong with installing Xcode’s command lime tools (not Xcode
>> itself)?
>
> Nothing, and I did miss the distinction, but it shouldn't be
> necessary, and the instructions for installing the Rcmdr are already
> more complicated on macOS than on other platforms because of the
> necessity to install XQuartz.  Users should be able to install the
> Rcmdr package on macOS without having to install packages from source.
>
> Remember that Rcmdr users are typically students in basic statistics
> courses, many of whom have limited software sophistication.
> Unnecessarily complicating the installation is undesirable.  Of
> course, if it's necessary to complicate the installation, one has to
> live with that.
>
> I'll be interested to learn whether my suggestions solve the problem.
> If not, I can add an instruction concerning the Xcode tools to the
> Rcmdr installation notes for macOS.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>  John
[...]

--
Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse   \         /       Obstetrician & Gynaecologist
[hidden email]             / *      |  Telephone: +264 81 124 6733 (cell)

On 2021-01-12 9:41 a.m., Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote:
> John,
>
> maybe I misunderestimate the students :-)-O but there is not much
> sophistication required to follow simple instructions while thinking
> about what one is doing when doing so.  At least that was my generation
> of students did.
>
> If they can install XQuartz, they can install the command line tools.

In my experience, mostly with social-science undergraduates and
graduate students, the more steps an installation requires, the more
likely students will encounter difficulties. Your students may well have
a different level of computer sophistication than mine did, but I know
that my experience isn't unique.

> And, it's not about RCmdr but about the source packages that you may
> want to have to install for which the command line tools are required.

Right. But all of the packages on which the Rcmdr package depends have
Mac binaries. As I confirmed yesterday, one can install the Rcmdr and
its dependencies on macOS without building any packages from source.

> Finally, RStudio is so much easier and more powerful, that I wonder why
> one is bothering with this including XQuartz.

Because I think you underestimate the obstacle that working at the
command line presents to students who often are already struggling to
learn basic statistical concepts. In my, and others', experience, it's
easier for students at this level to work with a statistical GUI than to
write commands. While working n RStudio or another IDE is undoubtedly
more powerful, for them it certainly isn't easier. Your teaching
experiences may be different.

Best,
  John